Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't cheat physics. No 45 watt amp is going to have more output than a 100 watt amp into the same load. It's more likely that the 45 watter is breaking up more and the added harmonics are making it seem louder. Watts are watts. A power tube circuit will only supply so much power before you red plate a tube or smoke a transformer. If it was capable of more output, it would be rated higher.

But you're neglecting speaker efficiency here. I suspect that, along with voicing, would account for burying 100w amps.

My friends Dr Z maz 38 vs my 100w peters FSM - the Z cut in a way the FSM could not.

So here it is the stupidest question of the entire forum:
How long before the official release of the firmware?
It might be helpful to understand the problem. Making even a single important change that has an effect on every Fractal preamp/amp model requires testing, and if necessary adjusting, the behavior of every amp model. A major change could also require adjusting the behavior of drives and effects, and even have global consequences. It's one hell of a big job and it will take as long as it does. Patience.

That’s great, thanks a lot for sharing.

I have a question... how you (all of you guys) manage to get that kind of DI signal level... I play mostly with single coils, but the signal is so weak that the noise is very hard to manage when reamping or using plug-ins.

mis any way I can get a stronger direct signal when recording with usb?

I generally have what appear to be weak or visually non-existent waveforms on my guitar DI’s. I actually loaded up some old Logic sessions over the weekend from when I was using Amplitube. I got concerned because these were my demos I recorded for songs that are going on my album and when I opened the sessions, the DI’s had zero indication that they contained any information at all. No waveforms to be seen. I pressed Play to listen and sure as shit, there was my guitar! Ran it through the AxeFX with zero issues, signal came out as strong as ever.

As long as it’s not a detriment to the re-amp that comes out of it in the end, I’m fine with it. I’d imagine boosting your input level would help get a bigger waveform, but I’m not sure if it’s necessary. I haven’t found that to be the case yet.

Stealth adds a depth knob, two red channels and midi, otherwise it's the same. Easy to do in Axe.
In your opinion, what PV amp model would you consider closest to the PV Invective? Any pointers on how one could dial in any of the amp sims currently on the AX to come close? I live in a rural area and those kind of amps are not available to go play locally. I can only listen to YT clips and I know how reliable those are.

I generally have what appear to be weak or visually non-existent waveforms on my guitar DI’s. I actually loaded up some old Logic sessions over the weekend from when I was using Amplitube. I got concerned because these were my demos I recorded for songs that are going on my album and when I opened the sessions, the DI’s had zero indication that they contained any information at all. No waveforms to be seen. I pressed Play to listen and sure as shit, there was my guitar! Ran it through the AxeFX with zero issues, signal came out as strong as ever.

As long as it’s not a detriment to the re-amp that comes out of it in the end, I’m fine with it. I’d imagine boosting your input level would help get a bigger waveform, but I’m not sure if it’s necessary. I haven’t found that to be the case yet.
Guitar DIs are usually down around -40dB or so.

You can't cheat physics. No 45 watt amp is going to have more output than a 100 watt amp into the same load. It's more likely that the 45 watter is breaking up more and the added harmonics are making it seem louder. Watts are watts. A power tube circuit will only supply so much power before you red plate a tube or smoke a transformer. If it was capable of more output, it would be rated higher.
All things being equal, sure....but almost nothing is equal.

1) The definition of "Output Power" in Watts is not clearly defined as a standard in guitar amps. For example, an amp that can deliver 30 Watts at 0.1% THD can deliver far more when driven into heavy overdrive. Conversely, some amps are rated for max power at high gain, and can't get anywhere near as much output when set for a clean output.

2) As noted above, the speaker/cabinet's efficiency is part of the equation, as well.

3) Different frequencies have different SPL (A-weighted) impact at the same power output. An amp that is voiced to be strong in the 1K-3K range is going to sound louder than an amp of the same power voiced in the 250-1K range.

In your opinion, what PV amp model would you consider closest to the PV Invective? Any pointers on how one could dial in any of the amp sims currently on the AX to come close? I live in a rural area and those kind of amps are not available to go play locally. I can only listen to YT clips and I know how reliable those are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom