Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
That’s great, thanks a lot for sharing.

I have a question... how you (all of you guys) manage to get that kind of DI signal level... I play mostly with single coils, but the signal is so weak that the noise is very hard to manage when reamping or using plug-ins.

mis any way I can get a stronger direct signal when recording with usb?
I just picked up a Jackson Audio Prism and it is a utility knife guitar pedal for things just like this. I'd check it out, it's pretty amazing and well worth the investment. You can sculpt your clean, rhythm and lead tones that work with your guitar as a pre-stage of gain to hit another pedal, amp or modeler.

Yeah, how’s that work? Is Dweezil Zappa, Steve Vai, and Keith Urban going to have to ship their amps over to NH to have them verified? :oops:
My understanding is that once an amp has been modelled, Cliff would only be verifying the new algorithms against the originally captured data.
It's not as if the original amp has changed since extracting the data from it so I can't see any need to have the amp back again.

I'm no expert so stand to be corrected though.

My understanding is that once an amp has been modelled, Cliff would only be verifying the new algorithms against the originally captured data.
It's not as if the original amp has changed since extracting the data from it so I can't see any need to have the amp back again.

True, but he may need to measure components or portions of circuits in a new way he hasn't done before, simply because he just thought of a new aspect to measure.

No, he’s posted things about physically pulling amps out and how heavy and loud they are. I haven’t the foggiest idea what exactly he is doing with them but he’s needing to capture something from the physical amps.

No, he’s posted things about physically pulling amps out and how heavy and loud they are. I haven’t the foggiest idea what exactly he is doing with them but he’s needing to capture something from the physical amps.
I thought he was comparing the response and tone of the new modeling to the real amps, to verify the modeling.

Last edited:
The most important factor is the player's mental state, then fingers, from fretting pressure to finger sweat and dorito powder, calluses, where you actually fret on the fingerboard and then how you pick or pluck, or hand position for palm mutes being the other end of the equation.
It's way more pronounced with the player having a greater affect on tone with amps like superleads and jcm800s with big bright caps, or deluxe and twin, than like a dual recto.
Next comes the speaker and room and where the guitar is in relation to the amp and how loud or if anyone is recording or watching, since that throws everything out the window, especially if it's a girl you want to impress.
And then there's the plectrum rabbit hole ... shhh ... Blue Chip picks ... BC Jazz LG 50 :)

I agree completely. I struggled with this tremendously when I entered the Fractal world years ago with my AX8. Funnily enough, it was Leon's videos and presets I would compare myself to and be hugely frustrated that I would perceive the sound as totally different. I've noticed that for myself I perceive tone very differently from when I'm listening to it played back vs. playing with a guitar in my hands. I eventually started using the looper and trying to emulate the playing of whoever's preset it was that I was using to compare, rather than comparing while I'm playing. Even if it didn't sound the same, it was always still close enough that I started to be able to tell that, yes, I am using the same preset and that preset is working correctly and my axe isn't broken.

That being said, I always enjoy presets that I've created more than ones that have been created by other people. Not that any of those presets are bad, but I feel like what I dial in matches what I hear while I've got a guitar in my hands more closely to what is being recorded when I create a preset for myself.
This reminds me about when I first started playing guitar in high school. I would be with a buddy in the garage and play a riff. He would later plug in his guitar and play the same riff and I always thought his "tone" or "playing" sounded better than mine. I couldn't figure out why back then as I was just as good as him. Later when I started to record demos I realized that my perception of the guitar is different in playing vs non-playing. When I listen to the playback I can sit back and enjoy the part. As I'm playing I'm concentrating on the fingering, notes, feel, etc. My focus is so spread out that I think the tone is lacking in the moment.

Or adding the badlander better than the thordenthal if the guy is not playing fractal or a recto 😀💡✌🏻
Or adding a budda super overdrive 2 45 watt. a friend of mine just got one the one before peavey bought them and he said the budda will eat any 100 watt amp he has ever owned for lunch.

Or adding a budda super overdrive 2 45 watt. a friend of mine just got one the one before peavey bought them and he said the budda will eat any 100 watt amp he has ever owned for lunch.
My first SuperDrive II was a 40W 1x12... Ungodly loud!

I ultimately bought a 20W and sold the 40W.

Later I got a 2x12 20W (that was my gigging amp for many years and I still own).

Would love to have a model of the amp.

You can't cheat physics. No 45 watt amp is going to have more output than a 100 watt amp into the same load. It's more likely that the 45 watter is breaking up more and the added harmonics are making it seem louder. Watts are watts. A power tube circuit will only supply so much power before you red plate a tube or smoke a transformer. If it was capable of more output, it would be rated higher.

I'm no expert but I'm trying to get my head around some amp design bits (so I'm dangerous - lol!). One item I read explained how lower frequencies take more energy to amplify therefore a brighter amp with lower wattage (ie Fender) may actually be louder than a higher wattage amp which emphasizes low end frequencies (ie Recto).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom