Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeez. Hearing stuff like this always makes me wonder if I've got something screwed up somewhere in my chain.

I use PAFs and Blazes, I have my input all the way down at 6%, and I still feel like I'm hitting red slightly more than I should on it.
You got anything between your guitar and the input? A boost or anything? Maybe it’s just burly man-hands!

People outsize of Oz lack the years of intense cultural training that is required to know how to apply Vegemite properly.
My wife's acoustic combo had a lot of fun with the Men at Work chestnut Land Down Under, so when one of our principal musicians moved to another state, we gave him some Vegemite as a gag going away present.

We had a good laugh, and all was fine until a couple of months later when he reported that he had tried it.

He did not thank us. 🤣

It may have been mentioned earlier but I can not remember having seen it in this thread with the very interesting discussion regarding "fingers VS signal chain" (guitar, cable, AXe FX III and outboard gear).
Have you tried to play with different guitar picks (materials, shapes, "angle of attac" (i.e. how you hold the pick) etc.)? My experience is that the pick I use have a large effect on my tone => same hands, same guitar, same signal chain. I mostly use a stone pick and switching to a plastic (or nylon) pick with roughly the same shape create a noticeable difference in the tone (motsly to the worse according to my taste).
100%. When I first got the Axe Fx 3 I kept hearing a weird high pitched transient in my pick attack and palm mutes. I hated it, I thought I was doing something wrong in my settings. Then I realized it went away if I held my pick at a straighter angle. Blew my mind. I'd been using nothing but Dunlop Jazz IIIs for like 10 years, but that prompted me to start using some thinner / softer picks.

Since the final release date is coming: what can be considered the “cygnus control dial”? I read so much good about it, but can’t figure out where I can really play with Cygnus.

100%. When I first got the Axe Fx 3 I kept hearing a weird high pitched transient in my pick attack and palm mutes. I hated it, I thought I was doing something wrong in my settings. Then I realized it went away if I held my pick at a straighter angle. Blew my mind. I'd been using nothing but Dunlop Jazz IIIs for like 10 years, but that prompted me to start using some thinner / softer picks.
Hah, try a stone pick! Cool in other ways, but chirp city you can't unhear, at least I couldn't.

My friend and I played the same riff on the same guitar, same strings, and same rig with same IR and BMT hitting the same levels on the VU meters.

His tone is more upper mids and sounds like there is a bass roll off at 150 Hz.

My tone sounds like it has a bass boost at the same frequency and a more even tonality in the upper mids.

If we didn't do it in the same room literally with a couple of minutes passing while we passed the guitar and pick to each other, then I would be incredulous regarding your fingers/hand being a major component of tone too.

That experience made me realize how much hand structure, tissue/bone density, and hand pressure contribute to tone variance.

I had a similar experience. Went to go buy a Mesa Rocket .44 112 combo from a guy locally. Plugged in to test it out and he goes "Oh my god, how are you getting all this bass from it, it always sounded thin to me! What pickups are in that guitar?" And they were just Duncan '59s, and a lot of unconscious habits I picked up to make my palm muted chugs sound big and beefy.

There was a really good player/sales clerk at one of the music stores I've known for decades.
He and I would hit the same licks on the same guitar and amp, and I knew by watching from 2 feet away how he played it.
Yet, he "always" sounded better. He would just chuckle after me saying "damn"... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom