Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooooooor... continue to abide by the "tone is in the fingers" saying in the hope that people understand why presets they download don't sound the same when they play through them as they do when the person that uploaded them did. That's all it's meant to communicate.
Yes, the understanding should work both ways. They should learn to differentiate between what is caused by the gear or by the expression techniques

Beato and Shull put out a couple of experiment videos with string gauges. I imagine most have seen them by now.

It really drives home the impact that string gauges make on natural gain into the pickup, especially. (All related to relative mass and vibration.)

So it's certainly in the fingers. In the mind, the phrasing. It's in the strings, pickups, guitar, cable, pots, etc., etc. Hell, pick-thickness and rigidity makes a notable difference.

I also like to believe it's in this outstanding piece of modeling gear I purchased. It certainly makes me want to play more, and play better when I do.

Sure, there's no magic to the output, but it's feel and authenticity combined with outstanding effects do inspire and motivate.

In the end it's a blank canvas, brushes and palette for creativity.

Gotta give a quick shot at @2112 's preset using my Mahogany Fernandes Monterey with DiMarzio Crunch Lab in Drop C. I'd say it translates very well from Leon's video and the included Wav file to my gear knowing the differences beforehand.

One thing to notice, I recorded this directly to Quicktime via Axe FX USB, it seems it recorded the DI track too, and honestly I'm too lazy right now to check out why, but I think it really showcases that Leon's settings works as intended right out of the box, or zip file, LOL.

But these differences are what is called "expression" or "execution", not exactly "tone", although they give a character to the tone. If these differences not existed, all players would sound the same, as far as they have the skills to execute the notes.

I believe that it is better to differentiate with a different name, so we know how far we need to adjust the gear until everything is up to the fingers
My friend and I played the same riff on the same guitar, same strings, and same rig with same IR and BMT hitting the same levels on the VU meters.

His tone is more upper mids and sounds like there is a bass roll off at 150 Hz.

My tone sounds like it has a bass boost at the same frequency and a more even tonality in the upper mids.

If we didn't do it in the same room literally with a couple of minutes passing while we passed the guitar and pick to each other, then I would be incredulous regarding your fingers/hand being a major component of tone too.

That experience made me realize how much hand structure, tissue/bone density, and hand pressure contribute to tone variance.

My friend and I played the same riff on the same guitar, same strings, and same rig with same IR and BMT hitting the same levels on the VU meters.

His tone is more upper mids and sounds like there is a bass roll off at 150 Hz.

My tone sounds like it has a bass boost at the same frequency and a more even tonality in the upper mids.

If we didn't do it in the same room literally with a couple of minutes passing while we passed the guitar and pick to each other, then I would be incredulous regarding your fingers/hand being a major component of tone too.

That experience made me realize how much hand structure, tissue/bone density, and hand pressure contribute to tone variance.
I think it's about what you hear in your head. Your body does a million tiny unconscious things every millisecond to create that, things you can't describe, and couldn't execute at speed to that level of detail if you could. Free your mind and the fingers will follow, or something...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom