Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Identify what you feel you're missing that a new pickup will add, then start looking at pickups known to do whatever that is.
Otherwise you'll end up with an endless worry that something else might be better.
Okay then where can I buy the ones that make me a better guitarist? ;)

His extreme low and high cuts drive me nuts and that's the only quip I have to make about the Lord Of Faces.
Leon stop cutting out all the bass! :D
That is an interesting observation. I have noticed when I am playing for fun or writing, I use big, full-spectrum tones, but when I go to record, I start dialing out top and bottom pretty quickly to get the guitar to sit in the mix (either via track EQ or by adjusting the tone as I go). I wonder if some his and others' frequent use of the cab High and Low Cuts is about maintaining presets that are gig- or studio- ready for their needs...?

I love low end and fizz, maybe that's weird. Generally I record full bandwidth and only cut to fit in a mix but I've never had to cut 100hz+ from a guitar. Mud is usually 200hz - 250hz so I might dip there and if it's an Uberschall or Recto I might use a multiband comp to tame the trailing 12db low end woooooomp.
Not that I'm in any position to complain about Leon's awesome youtube vids! I just cringe when he goes "and let's just cut everything under 100hz. Perfect!" hehe.

As someone who has never dabbled in aftermarket pickups, I wonder which one I should trust. I would think that Ola has way more experience especially with tone and mixing.
I was saying that because I have 20 guitars here with different pickups in each ones, and with the same preset you don’t have a night/day feel, specially in a mix or in a recording . You won’t say : oh this one is the tone zone ! Etc ... ok some of them are tighter, darker (the sh4 in my jagstang is pretty dark for ex, i never really like Seymour, I’m a di marzio Guy first and like the emg too) . I had fun doing extreme metal cover with single coils in many videos after all these « you need those pickups to do metal « . You do metal with whatever guitar if you play the song well .
I don’t think they will know that they are the stock pickups of a USA tele std if they were no image 😅 ( i ve sold this guitar but it was nice)

I just cringe when he goes "and let's just cut everything under 100hz. Perfect!" hehe.

Yep, and I understand that some engineers will hi-pass every guitar track at 100Hz (or wherever) as a matter of philosophy, and I could see being piqued about that in certain situations.

I think this discussion is particularly relevant (unexpected segue back to the thread) since some of the obvious Cygnus goodness is in the lower end (the "chug" of the engine and the "thump" of the speaker compression). I wonder if we'll see threads on recording Cygnus low-end once it's released to the masses...

I love low end and fizz, maybe that's weird. Generally I record full bandwidth and only cut to fit in a mix but I've never had to cut 100hz+ from a guitar. Mud is usually 200hz - 250hz so I might dip there and if it's an Uberschall or Recto I might use a multiband comp to tame the trailing 12db low end woooooomp.
Not that I'm in any position to complain about Leon's awesome youtube vids! I just cringe when he goes "and let's just cut everything under 100hz. Perfect!" hehe.
When I load @2112's patches, I find them to not have enough low end, but otherwise great. I think he tunes to Drop C vs me at Drop D, so that may have something to do with it.

In mixes I typically HPF around 85 or lower with a slow slope. This makes it easier for the kick and bass to exist without issue.

I was saying that because I have 20 guitars here with different pickups in each ones, and with the same preset you don’t have a night/day feel, specially in a mix or in a recording . You won’t say : oh this one is the tone zone ! Etc ... ok some of them are tighter, darker (the sh4 in my jagstang is pretty dark for ex, i never really like Seymour, I’m a di marzio Guy first and like the emg too) . I had fun doing extreme metal cover with single coils in many videos after all these « you need those pickups to do metal « . You do metal with whatever guitar if you play the song well .
I don’t think they will know that they are the stock pickups of a USA tele std if they were no image 😅 ( i ve sold this guitar but it was nice)

Fabulous. I love this. Just like Brent Mason would have played it.

You guys are funny.
Obviously Leon is gonna sound different on the same preset than anyone else. He sounds like Leon on all his guitars, even the YJM strat, which is quite a feat.
His extreme low and high cuts drive me nuts and that's the only quip I have to make about the Lord Of Faces.
Leon stop cutting out all the bass! :D
BTW much love.
He's all about the mids...no trebles or bass....

He's all about the mids...no trebles or bass....
Maybe I miss the part or dont see his cut in the preset . If I remember he was the one who cut at ...500? I do cut 80/12k most of the time , but ... 500? 😅
Why not then . Everyone got their tastes
If he had these cut out of the preset, now I understand the sound difference

Maybe I miss the part or dont see his cut in the preset . If I remember he was the one who cut at ...500? I do cut 80/12k most of the time , but ... 500? 😅
Why not then . Everyone got their tastes
If he had these cut out of the preset, now I understand the sound difference
That cut is in the amp block input eq, not the cab block hi/low cuts, and only on the Cygnus Friedman HBE V3 that I know of.
Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 1.32.00 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom