Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
if his presets sound nothing like the video, maybe he post process them with eq, doubling, and others recording tricks in the DAW

Last edited:
So I have downloaded the .zip from leon todd to do the test , copy the preset in my axe 3, change the cab with the one he gives, dont touch NOTHING .

Axe 3 in the soundcard , cubase 10 , just one track, no edit, no EQ , no doubling... after recording i have done a neutral mastering just to be near 0 , like I do for all my recordings .
bc rich warlock with di marzio evolution pickups : less gain, more bright, more tight .

(THE VIDEO IS PRIVATE)

For anyone who wants it; preset, DI and audio of DI processed by preset. I also attached a copy of my system backup if anyone wants to go there.
That was very cool of you Leon. Thanks for all you do man.
Edit: I just listened to it in my DAW and re-amped. You definitely have some JuJu in your playing, which is fantastic. You can emulate everything but the JuJu :cool:

Last edited:
You always have some gnarly tone, and playing. It's a delight to see new content from you, so thanks for all that you do for the community.

I'm just wondering what's going on though lol I've downloaded your presets before and they sound nowhere close to the tones your ripping out. I know, I know... Tone is dependent on the player, and other aspects of the signal chain; buttttttt, I'm no stranger to playing, with 25+ years experience, and have a wide assortment of guitars. I know I'm not the only one in this camp, as I've read numerous others kind of touch on the same thing.

My question is this: Do you think the difference is YouTube's compression algorithm being the missing link? And if so, any idea how to replicate that with our beloved black boxes?
What’s your reference speaker...that’s usually the culprit. I’ve learned this the hard (expensive) way.

@2112 - thanks for doing that! Great way to hear with our own system and not YouTube.

Question: Is that DI enough to get a tone match on and maybe close the gap between pickup differences?

@SinglecutGuy If you play through the same studio monitors you are listening the video it has no sense. I was « shocked » when I first heard his .wav compared to what I had with the preset and my guitar . It seems that his recording method muffled the sound a lot . Can be interesting to know how his .wav is recorded : software , soundcard or not etc etc

Last edited:
@My name is mud Thanks for doing that. That clip was my PRS Custom 24 with a Duncan JB, a 15 foot guitar cable to the Axe-Fx input 1 and then straight into Pro-Tools via the Axe-Fx USB. There's nothing happening in post at all.

Your clip is louder in that video though, which would account for the change in perceived brightness. Normalising the volumes makes it sound a lot closer. You also play guitar left hand WAY better than I can.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.25.00 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-08 at 9.25.00 pm.png
    108.7 KB · Views: 48
@SinglecutGuy If you play through the same studio monitors you are listening the video it has no sense. I was « shocked » when I first heard his .wav compared to what I had with the preset and my guitar . It seems that his recording method muffled the sound a lot . Can be interesting to know how his .wav is recorded : software , soundcard or not etc etc

i think there are many factors that make a difference The pickups are but one aspect but also the body is mahog his action , his string
guage all those individual things
add up

To me, the differences in your clip and Leon’s mainly come down to the guitar and maybe playing technique. PRS guitars tend to have slightly chunkier necks, which add more depth to the tone. I just compared three Les Pauls with three different neck profiles and the thinner the neck, the brighter the guitar. The same goes for my signature Hagstrom models... my prototypes with thicker necks are darker than the production version with a thinner neck. Also, his pickup is an Alnico 5 humbucker wound hotter at 16.6k vs your Evolution which is ceramic at 13.84k, so the differences in pickups will have a big effect on the tone as well (and taking into consideration that your pickup positioning may be different. For example, how close the pickup and pole pieces are to the strings). I still thought yours sounded great. We need to tweak presets depending on the guitars we’re using. Even with my hands going through the same amp with the same settings, all of my Les Pauls sound different. One isn’t better than the other, it just means I need to tweak a few knobs to get the best tone for each guitar.

Keep up the great playing. I always enjoy watching your videos.

And thus, my friends, is a prime example of how at the end of the day, tone is in your hands.

I’ve used Evolutions for 24 years and know that pickup inside and out, that’s almost exactly my same experience when downloading Leon’s presets. When I put the Fishman Fluence pickups in another guitar, his presets translated much closer on my end.

The JB (16.04 k) isn’t too far from the Evolution’s resistance at 13.84 k, so the difference in gain between Leon‘s playing and everyone else’s would be a mix of picking hand attack and the output of the pickups.

I got my first lesson with this stuff when in a former band, the other guitar player was trying to get closer to my tone so he got the same amp and put Evolution’s in his main guitar. Still didn’t sound like me. I explained to him that we hit the strings entirely differently (he had a habit of hitting the strings and quickly picking his whole forearm up and away from the guitar...looking like a chicken) and that he had to stop doing the Bock-Bock (chicken sounds) because it was screwing with his ability to stay right on top of the strings and hit them like he meant it. That was 15 years ago and the dude still thinks I don’t know what pickups are actually in my guitar. :D

For anyone who wants it; preset, DI and audio of DI processed by preset. I also attached a copy of my system backup if anyone wants to go there.

@2112 it is utterly remarkable the impact that a single player and enthusiast (from a country I'm only 85% sure is real) can have on a huge global community. I hope @Admin M@ and @FractalAudio truly grasp it.

Your approachable style belies a ridiculous mastery of production and performance, as well as a gift for communicating nuanced concepts to an audience that runs from newbies to pros. Thank you for all you do!

Edit: grammar

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom