Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I remember one of the Rocktron guys saying thatbetween about 1200 and 1300
there was some magic that made lead tones cut through and scream
That's the frequency formant range that's well known for enhancing singing. I should add that the primary singer's formant is around 2k. Opera singers in particular try to develop extra resonance at 2k-2.5k.

Last edited:
Speaking of YouTube videos... :) This is my latest video using Cygnus (Friedman be v3, Lonestar and the (not updated Svt):

I have to say that Leon’s videos really helped me finding the good tone!
Thoughts?

That was great! It put a smile on my face to watch your medley. I grew up watching the Back to the Future movies.

Today I just tried Double Verb Silverface and Vibrato channels, which was by far my most beloved clean amps in previous fw, but I must say they are sounding much thinner in cygnus.

I have double checked if everything was set correctly.
I dialed the amp from scratch, went back to 15.01, back to cygnus, back to 15, back to cygnus but I always ended with the same result.

Anyone, who can check it and confirm maybe ?
I am also a heavy user of this amp....I haven’t tested this yet...but it is one of my favorites...

You always have some gnarly tone, and playing. It's a delight to see new content from you, so thanks for all that you do for the community.

I'm just wondering what's going on though lol I've downloaded your presets before and they sound nowhere close to the tones your ripping out. I know, I know... Tone is dependent on the player, and other aspects of the signal chain; buttttttt, I'm no stranger to playing, with 25+ years experience, and have a wide assortment of guitars. I know I'm not the only one in this camp, as I've read numerous others kind of touch on the same thing.

My question is this: Do you think the difference is YouTube's compression algorithm being the missing link? And if so, any idea how to replicate that with our beloved black boxes?
It's the guitars. (At least partly.) Echoing what others have said here, I have to add more preamp boosts or bump up the input trim to get the same amount of gain. And even after normalizing for gain, different guitars and pickups sound different. Other people's presets can't really be thought of as a copy and paste thing, more like a starting point for your own tweaking.

And Leon is a kickass player too of course, but that's another matter entirely ;)

You always have some gnarly tone, and playing. It's a delight to see new content from you, so thanks for all that you do for the community.

I'm just wondering what's going on though lol I've downloaded your presets before and they sound nowhere close to the tones your ripping out. I know, I know... Tone is dependent on the player, and other aspects of the signal chain; buttttttt, I'm no stranger to playing, with 25+ years experience, and have a wide assortment of guitars. I know I'm not the only one in this camp, as I've read numerous others kind of touch on the same thing.

My question is this: Do you think the difference is YouTube's compression algorithm being the missing link? And if so, any idea how to replicate that with our beloved black boxes?
Have seen 100s of posts here similar to this in the 12 or so yrs I've used Axefx. Though I'm only a hobbyist player, I've spent waaay more time tone chasing than the practicing I should have been doing, and, in doing so, I've learned that trying to replicate the tone I hear from someone else's rig as seen/heard through Youtube with my own guitar/hands/frfr is very difficult if not futile even if I can play a similar riff with access to the exact same preset (actually, I stopped trying to replicate such tones long ago though I do like analysing Leon and others' great presets to see how they are designed for getting a certain tone type).

BUT! I'll put the following suggestion out there once more (mentioned this before here but not much uptake I recall, so maybe it's a dumb idea and I don't know why 😳).

Preamble: If "somewhat frustrated Leon tone lovers" could take their Axefx to Leon and have him play a few riffs for them into their own Axefx with his preset loaded as they monitored through their own headphones/frfr, then those "somewhat frustrated Leon tone lovers" would likely say to themselves: "well - now I have proof that MY rig can sound that awesome with that preset - the only variables remaining are me and my guitar". Hence forward the "no longer somewhat frustrated Leon tone lovers" would proceed with renewed focus toward achieving their tonal dreams.

Suggestion - Along with preset, Leon (or Burgs or Mark or Cooper Carter or other fantastic player / tone-preset wizard) provides a dry guitar track of some of the riffs he played (would be great if these could be posted with a preset on Axechange). The "somewhat frustrated Leon tone lover" then properly re-amps the dry track through his/her own Axefx rig dialed to Leon's preset and hears the same great tone through his/her own rig, and in doing so, cannot continue to think that some kind of Axefx magic is taking place at Leon's studio or that some kind of Axefx magic that should be happening at his/her own studio is not happening for some reason - the focus has to go back to hands and guitar.

I think just getting 1 dry track from 1 of these dudes once after 1 of these awesome tone vids gets posted, could put this question to rest in a lot of ways.

I'm sure someone will ask "what if the dry track sounds different on the "somewhat frustrated Leon tone lover"'s Axefx rig? I guess the answer is that this would shift the focus to headphones, frfr, or any other possible post processing difference (ie youtube as suggsted above?). - so even with this possibility, the dry track would tend to resolve that nagging thought in the back of Axe users' minds that there must be some sort of unknown Axefx settings/setup magic seemingly accessible to only a select few tone gurus.

Last edited:
Oh thank you very much!! Sorry for my English, I try to do my best but I’m not native so you’ll certainly hear some European accent 😆
That's OK. When we're in Italy my wife speaks Italian with a Mexican accent, and when we're in Mexico she speaks it with an Italian accent. :)

I make a passing attempt at an accent, and I'm happy if I'm understood at all. :)

Who doesn't love Huey Lewis? Awesome playing!
It was Lewis' guitar player on tour when they played at ASU that sold me on Mesa Boogie combos. I bought a IIb, a heavy little 100 watt with the graphic EQ, and got heavier when I put in an EV-12L. It was SO loud, I don't think I ever got it above 2 1/2 on the master, but it sounded so good.

It was Lewis' guitar player on tour when they played at ASU that sold me on Mesa Boogie combos. I bought a IIb, a heavy little 100 watt with the graphic EQ, and got heavier when I put in an EV-12L. It was SO loud, I don't think I ever got it above 2 1/2 on the master, but it sounded so good.
Omg, I had one as well, but with a Celestion Sidewinder in it. Heavy as hell and usually couldn't turn it up past 1 1/2, but I had to see what would happen if I turned it up to around 3 once. Unbearably loud even with just the combo speaker.

I ran mine through that plus a 4x12 in the clubs back in the 80s when everyone else was playing Marshalls. Got a lot of compliments on the tone.

I had to see what would happen if I turned it up to around 3 once. Unbearably loud even with just the combo speaker.

I ran mine through that plus a 4x12 in the clubs back in the 80s when everyone else was playing Marshalls. Got a lot of compliments on the tone.
Yes, even with a single 12" it was devastatingly loud. A 20' guitar cable was self-preservation.

I ran mine through a 4x12 Marshall cabinet in the store one time, just to see what it'd sound like. At 50 watts it was glorious, but so fricken loud it was scary. And, yes, we thought it sounded better than the regular Marshall heads, but it was an animal!

That's OK. When we're in Italy my wife speaks Italian with a Mexican accent, and when we're in Mexico she speaks it with an Italian accent. :)

I make a passing attempt at an accent, and I'm happy if I'm understood at all. :)
I got funny looks soeaking Italian in SoPho....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom