Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
My presets are simple, I don’t touch the extra things that much. One day it sound dead, one day with way too much treble ... it only happens with modelers yep. If you plug your guitar in a bassman you don’t have this. I think this is the irs that destroy the life of the sound. I understand more and more why so many people play their axe with a poweramp and cab hm. When you record it’s always “ok”. But when you are just playing guitar....it’s ok for one hour until you listen to the preset the next day 😐 .
Eh ? Completely the opposite for me. Tube amps sounded different everytime I plugged in. And you keep them on for a while and the feel changes as the tubes cook. The axe-fx sounds the same everytime.

My presets are simple, I don’t touch the extra things that much. One day it sound dead, one day with way too much treble ... it only happens with modelers yep. If you plug your guitar in a bassman you don’t have this. I think this is the irs that destroy the life of the sound. I understand more and more why so many people play their axe with a poweramp and cab hm. When you record it’s always “ok”. But when you are just playing guitar....it’s ok for one hour until you listen to the preset the next day 😐 .

Don't blame the modelers for that. It is the inconsistency of the mind. Here is the explanation: https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/stupid-question-but-still-a-question.171687/post-2071174

... it only happens with modelers yep. If you plug your guitar in a bassman you don’t have this. I think this is the irs that destroy the life of the sound. I understand more and more why so many people play their axe with a poweramp and cab hm. When you record it’s always “ok”. But when you are just playing guitar....it’s ok for one hour until you listen to the preset the next day 😐 .
That's not my experience at all.

I haven't made any major changes to my four most used presets since I set them up except adding a little more upper mids and treble when playing a particularly dark guitar I have and they all still sound great to me.

I really don't know what's going on with the "it sounds like crap the next day" crowd unless they are playing in an altered state during the evening and in the cold light of day what they thought was genius the night before sounds like poo.

I really don't know what's going on with the "it sounds like crap the next day" crowd unless they are playing in an altered state during the evening and in the cold light of day what they thought was genius the night before sounds like poo.
I guess I'm part of that crowd, but I'm not claiming it's anything other than ear fatigue. I know the modeler doesn't actually sound any different lol

I agree with the previous posts that something changed in the Friedman BE models. My main sound usually includes the BE V2 model with several 4x12 TV Greenback IRs. I can also hear a bit of fuzz and it’s not that „spongy“ anymore when it comes to the pick attack. Fortunately the Friedman Small Box model compensates this as it is a great alternative. It has the desired pick attack feeling and distortion characteristic for me, which I had previously in the BE model.
How much different is the circuit of the Small Box compared to the BE? The gain stages should be quite similar. From the Friedman circuits I‘ve seen, most of the tweaks are on the cathode resistors and caps and voltage dividers between the 1st and 2nd stage, anode bypass caps and on the cathode follower.

Attachments

• 4D2952AE-F66C-4573-9E07-3207FDE80017.png
    4D2952AE-F66C-4573-9E07-3207FDE80017.png
    550.3 KB · Views: 101
Actually the point of a beta is to find possible flaws/issues. It about needing anything, about pointing out an issue.
of course - agreed - my point was that if you may find yourself in dire need of a fix/resolution to a flaw/issue that appears in a beta release, because you need to get work done, play a gig or whatever, then you probably should not have installed the beta release, the purpose of which is for beta testers to find flaws/issues.

Anyway the initial post was tongne n cheek so my thoughts on it are unnessessary motherhood from an old fart systems nerd no longer in the game.

Pls carry on with Friedmanian analysis.

I really don't know what's going on with the "it sounds like crap the next day"
I had this last week.
All my presets sounded like crap.
Too much treble, harsh...
I had a feeling like my ears were clogged, heard clicking sounds when swallowing, feeling a bit drowsy...
I cleaned my ears, not a lot of stuff there...had a shower and tried to clean my ears with the jet spray.
That improved things a lot.
Few days later....all's well again.

Another thing is, when I'm playing with a certain type of guitar - a Tele, Strat, SC,.... - I get used to the type of sound.
When swithcing to a total different type, at first it sounds a bit off but after a while I get used to it again.

I gigged with my old Marshall tube amp for years, and nearly everyday it sounded different to me. This is one of the reasons why I am glad I have switched to Fractal.
Now the benefit is, I know if something sounds different on one day with my Axe-Fx then it will be down to my strings, or the weather, or my ears etc but the guaranteed part is that if I record it then it sounds consistent (given I use fresh strings etc). My tube amp never did that (RIP Marshall, I should sell it but have emotional issues).

EDIT: I should add I've been using this beta daily since it was released and am finding it just as consistent as previous releases

I get used to the type of sound.
When swithcing to a total different type, at first it sounds a bit off but after a while I get used to it again.
Same thing happens for me with amps. If I switch to my Mesa preset from Soldano, it sounds too bright and fizzy. But if it's the first one I hear in a session it sounds great.

Nah, it's neither ear fatigue nor due to Mud's IR theory.

It's slight variations in line AC that can only be heard on a device with and insane 114 dB S/N. Power conditioners and other "gimmicks" don't work.

The only solution I've found is an audiophile power cable (only purchasable from me, prices ranging from $2000 - $10,000, the latter model made with hemorrhoidal coloidal metaloidal composite made in my basement).
Eww.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom