Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I never really liked the Dual Rec sound until I found an IR that worked well with it (to my ears, of course). I find the stock IRs to be way too midrangey for my taste. The Ownhammer Trad-V30 Mesa cab sounds lovely with just about anything, though.

yes, this one is even better than OH FMan pack...2 of my favourites from OH.

Yup, rectos get the award for most unusable bass control ever
A boosted Recto with the right cab
and low cut in pre with low master
is an incredible sound though
when i think of Rectos i think more of like Creed the old Tremonti
chunk , or Skillet
They are also amazing layering amps as LT said in one of his vids

A boosted Recto with the right cab
and low cut in pre with low master
is an incredible sound though
when i think of Rectos i think more of like Creed the old Tremonti
chunk , or Skillet
They are also amazing layering amps as LT said in one of his vids
Yup, no doubt, completely agreed but I don't know anyone turns the bass control past 1....it's not a very practical control 😅

Before this particular firmware I'd ALWAYS set speaker compression to 0.....just preferred the sound and feel.....but NOW, I LOVE the speaker compression!!!!!

Just a tad, as it gets flubby real quick, but what a difference it makes! Bravo Cliff!!!👏

It sounds like a good, warmed up tube amp, and feels AMAZING under the fingers as Leon put it.

Someone said this is the last 5% for tone perfection, and I agree! The realizm is fantastic, and I feel like I've been playing a hot tube amp with every model!
41QzMmUou8L._AC_.jpg

I'm finding myself playing with the speaker dynamics at a pretty high level, depending on the amp. It's weirdly awesome; I'm thinking of it vaguely analogous to one of those Pultecs or something, where I dial in the Speaker Compression to balance the highs in the most refined way possible. I think the idea with the push-pull eq is something like messing with the character of a frequency band, maybe reducing a band, then replacing with almost the same band, but with the character of the Pultec changing how it feels; I could have that all wrong, but that idea is what this feels like. Like the low end that I'm carefully controlling with everything else not to overtake the rest of the tone gets added back in with the Speaker Compression, but with an altogether different character, a much more real feeling character that somehow makes it feel just like a great tube amp pushing a great cabinet right next to you. I don't know; this sounds like bullshit haha, but that's the best way I can explain how it feels to me!

Why on earth would I want to do that? To me the point of life is to seek out things that would make me freak out with excitement! I hope never to try to downplay the best part of life like that, in order to avoid comments like that haha! You do it your way, Buddy; I'll do it mine. :) Walk in my shoes for a moment: You spend your life chasing tone, way too broke for good equipment or the ability to play loudly in the places you live. You practice as hard as you can every moment you can, and all you every think about is playing. Then you, against all instincts to save whatever money you do have, splurge on something you can't try out in person, which for you is a gamble you can't recover from if you fuck up. It turns out this gamble actually gives you the very tones you've been chasing your whole life, the stuff you'd discover in guitar stores on gear you could never afford. I truly hope you can experience something that level of awesomeness one day!

Attachments

• B0193D8B-5A2E-4913-855D-47FA9742C6F7.jpeg
    B0193D8B-5A2E-4913-855D-47FA9742C6F7.jpeg
    21.7 KB · Views: 60
I can't dial in a Recto to save my life. But Boogies... I cut my teeth on those and used them for decades.
Decades ago, I spent a fun afternoon with Randall Smith in his repair shop in the back of Prune Music in Mill Valley. We were trying to do something electronically impossible, but neither of us knew enough at the time about guitar pickups to know we were wasting our time. But I got to try the prototype Boogie, which was cased in a handmade wooden box with JBL speakers. Even then, it was the best rhythm amp I'd ever played on, but lacked enough gain for lead. I wonder if Randall himself would have trouble perfectly dialing in a modern Recto with an AXE III but Leon Todd has sure helped me.

What did you get?!

A Spector Pulse and it’s AWESOME! I made a thread for it here- https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/nbd-spector-pulse.171425/#post-2067796

I sat in my studio last night and just tweaked bass tones for about 3 hours. It’s like it’s getting harder to dial in a bad tone with the AxeFX. I’ll have to plug in one of my other basses to get a better idea of how Cygnus is working with bass amps, but man, the tones coming out of my studio yesterday were just crushing.

Is it delusional to think that with this firmware some notes immediately sound louder than others? Could it be something with my guitar? E and B sound louder to me :oops:

A Spector Pulse and it’s AWESOME! I made a thread for it here- https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/nbd-spector-pulse.171425/#post-2067796

I sat in my studio last night and just tweaked bass tones for about 3 hours. It’s like it’s getting harder to dial in a bad tone with the AxeFX. I’ll have to plug in one of my other basses to get a better idea of how Cygnus is working with bass amps, but man, the tones coming out of my studio yesterday were just crushing.
The last band I was in the bass player had a beautiful Spector and it sounded amazing. He stupidly left it in his car and, naturally, someone broke in and stole it.

I posted this in the edit thread, but I don't think many people check it very often. Is anyone else having issues with the preset leveling tool in the new axe edit? I just get a tiny box that won't let me do anything but close it. I've rebooted the axe, PC and even reinstalled edit.
That isn't showing up for me. Are you using the latest FW?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom