Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just curious if the speaker coil heating thing is supposed to give me a more noticeable change or not.

Is it a bigger thing or rather a certain smelling of a certain tree bark?
Depends on how whether you have speaker compression dialed into your existing settings. My understanding is if you don't, you may have to trick yourself into hearing a difference. If you do, on the scale of Fractal Update Noticeability, I would rate this one an 8 or 9 out of 10.

In my experience as a Fractal customer, I almost get more excited when I don't understand what is being updated. Cliff's excitement is generally a good barometer for how much improvement I'll be able to hear.

Depends on how whether you have speaker compression dialed into your existing settings. My understanding is if you don't, you may have to trick yourself into hearing a difference. If you do, on the scale of Fractal Update Noticeability, I would rate this one an 8 or 9 out of 10.

In my experience as a Fractal customer, I almost get more excited when I don't understand what is being updated. Cliff's excitement is generally a good barometer for how much improvement I'll be able to hear.

Half of the time I don't even know what all these terms mean hah.

Just spent a bit over an hour poking at the new beta. Landed on a baseline starting point for Speaker Compression and Speaker Time Constant that seems a good starting point for my stuff. The realism of the bounce and chunkiness on the low strings is amazing. The 6G12!!! Man, it sounds so good, with that "Fender bounce" coming through along with gorgeous mids and top end. The various Marshalls in the presets I use often! Wow, the bloom on certain notes is amazing - they just want to take off and fly (even from a clean preset) just like the real 100W Plexi I tried years ago. The Mesa Mark amps! Better than ever, clean, clean-ish, or dirty as f***! They GR-RRR! like crazy....

The B+M position on my Strat on cleaner sounds sparkles and clucks so nicely that I have been increasing the mix percentage on all my Rotary stuff, as the sparkle and cluck comes through the Rotary better now. Chorused stuff sounds more present, which actually gives the illusion of being drier than it is, probably for the same reason - the way the balance between the bouncier, more realistic lows and the mid/high sparkle changes the mix....

Excellent~

I think this is me as I don’t tend to deep dive in the advanced settings. I haven’t had chance to have a good play, but might just wait for Leon to do one of his helpful videos on how to use it.

Now that I've played around with the settings a little more, here's what I've found:
1. I'm using a lot more speaker compression than before. It's adding something it didn't do before and it is definitely a missing piece to my tone. I had 0.67 on my big Marshall Plexi tone last time I messed with it. I've got 2.90 right now.
2. For Speaker Compression level, as you turn it up, it pushes down chords and allows single notes to really sing out. Switching between the two helped me dial that in.
3. For time constant, I found it is helpful to play chords slowly enough to hear each string separately (and dig in a little bit). Also helps to play staccato palm mutes and mix those up with letting it ring out. (I settled on 3819.8ms on mine.)

Last edited:
Now that I've played around with the settings a little more, here's what I've found:
1. I'm using a lot more speaker compression than before. It's adding something it didn't do before and it is definitely a missing piece to my tone. I had 0.67 on my big Marshall Plexi tone last time I messed with it. I've got 2.90 right now.
2. For Speaker Compression level, as you turn it up, it pushes down chords and allows single notes to really sing out. Switching between the two helped me dial that in.
2. For time constant, I found it is helpful to play chords slowly enough to hear each string separately (and dig in a little bit). Also helps to play staccato palm mutes and mix those up with letting it ring out. (I settled on 3819.8ms on mine.)
Ha! I landed on 2.70. :D

Dropped the time constant to 420ms. 2000ms seemed too slow. Maybe that value is closer when it's warmer in the room/venue and you're playing louder, but 420ms sounded about right for what I am used to. Probably varies by speaker, too, and how well the voice coil can dissipate heat away....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom