Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 11 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’ve used Evolutions for 24 years and know that pickup inside and out, that’s almost exactly my same experience when downloading Leon’s presets. When I put the Fishman Fluence pickups in another guitar, his presets translated much closer on my end.
As someone who recently reserved a Strandberg guitar with Fishmans in it, and binges the shit out of Leon's channel, that's really good to hear :)

On the topic of differences between guitars/pickups, how do folks here deal with that in their presets? I've just been using a filter block first thing after the input to boost / EQ the raw signal as needed but I'm curious if there are better methods / if that's enough to reasonably compensate for the differences. (Not trying to completely homogenize all my guitars or anything, obviously different sounds is part of the point of having different guitars, but as they are now the active pickups in my Schecter and the Dimarzio PAF 7s in my Ibanez just require completely different levels of gain and EQ.) Are people just doing completely different presets for each guitar, or trying to "adapt" one preset with different channels in a filter block per guitar or something?

As someone who recently reserved a Strandberg guitar with Fishmans in it, and binges the shit out of Leon's channel, that's really good to hear :)

On the topic of differences between guitars/pickups, how do folks here deal with that in their presets? I've just been using a filter block first thing after the input to boost / EQ the raw signal as needed but I'm curious if there are better methods / if that's enough to reasonably compensate for the differences. (Not trying to completely homogenize all my guitars or anything, obviously different sounds is part of the point of having different guitars, but as they are now the active pickups in my Schecter and the Dimarzio PAF 7s in my Ibanez just require completely different levels of gain and EQ.) Are people just doing completely different presets for each guitar, or trying to "adapt" one preset with different channels in a filter block per guitar or something?
Try filter block in parallel with cab block it works good for me.

Dude, I literally helped make the man breakfast tacos!
That was a fairly impressive spread at the Axe-Fest hotel , where I assume you foisted said tacos on the estimable Mr Todd.. I got no such culinary assistance at the breakfast I shared with you there .....but you (and Leon ) have been quite helpful and inspirational in non food ways to me over the years, so thanks for that ;)

I have redone the video with todd .wav file mastered in volume, like me . @2112
so for those who miss a part , this is the files that Leon shared previously.
I use his preset with his cab without touching nothing, one track in cubase , and the sound difference is huge .
Not the same guitar + I have the power that every lefties have :joycat:
I m still conviced that something F*vc*d up his sound in the recording process . It s like there is a filter or a pillow in front of the speaker.

(video is not public)

Last edited:
it s like we dont have the same IR at all it s crazy seriously lol . you use the axe as a soundcard, and me I put an xlr in a focusrite 8I6 V3 , maybe that's it ?
are you sure you play with the preset you shared with these settings Leon ?

Attachments

• TOD PRESET SCREEN.jpg
    TOD PRESET SCREEN.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
That was a fairly impressive spread at the Axe-Fest hotel , where I assume you foisted said tacos on the estimable Mr Todd.. I got no such culinary assistance at the breakfast I shared with you there .....but you (and Leon ) have been quite helpful and inspirational in non food ways to me over the years, so thanks for that ;)
I LOVED Axe-Fest! Getting to meet everyone and learn more about the AxeIII was invaluable! Loved all the presenters and buying my AxeIII and FC12! Would love to see another Axe-Fest again someday!!

Last edited:
@2112 it is utterly remarkable the impact that a single player and enthusiast (from a country I'm only 85% sure is real) can have on a huge global community. I hope @Admin M@ and @FractalAudio truly grasp it.

Your approachable style belies a ridiculous mastery of production and performance, as well as a gift for communicating nuanced concepts to a audience that runs from newbies to pros. Thank you for all you do!
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. @2112 is the ambassador of the Fractal Audio community. I’ve purchased presets and classes to get the most use out of my equipment and Leon’s content has definitely been the most beneficial.

B9053158-5BD0-4563-8EA0-1D412A4846B6.gif

I use his preset with his cab without touching nothing, one track in cubase , and the sound difference is huge .
I m still conviced that something F*vc*d up his sound in the recording process . It s like there is a filter or a pillow in front of the speaker.

(video is not public)

That clip definitely has a similar character but the difference between a ceramic snd Alnico 5
is pretty substantial the Alnico is warmer add that w mahog guitar
mahog neck

(video is not public)

I mean yeah Leon's tone sounds bassier, but to me that just sounds like normal variation in guitars/pickups

(video is not public)

Are you in the same tuning (drop C)? I have found that going to a lower tuning makes the guitar sound darker.

(video is not public)

I don't think anything we do is really going to make it sound like Leon's tone. Even with his preset, everything else is different. Leon dialed in his tone on his guitar with those pickups, through his monitors which are positioned in a particular place in his particular studio, at a certain volume and distance. It is all being registered through how his hearing was that day and where he was emotionally or mentally. There are so many factors to how we perceive sound that influences how we create tones. I think it's awesome that you guys (both sound great btw) are so different with the same preset. It really is informative to how all of the above mentioned factors play a role in what we hear. If you want to dial in a tone similar or inspired by Leon's sound, then you may have to disregard the particulars of what he is using and go for how you can get the tone through your own gear and environment. It could be a really fun journey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom