Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 10 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally yesterday I had the opportunity to test this beta at high volume with the whole band and.. OMG, now I get what Cygnus is all about!
Massive tone, sustain for days and room shaking low end. Just incredible.

PS: Cliff, are the improvements brought by Cygnus also applicable to the drive block?

PS: Cliff, are the improvements brought by Cygnus also applicable to the drive block?
Cygnus was prompted because of a significant change to the preamp code, which flowed into the power-amp code. Drives aren't affected by those changes, however, there are probably some tweaks or fixes that were in progress that got folded in.

The Wiki has modeler progress notes that help explain. Also, each beta release has notes so check those. For instance, at the top of this thread is https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...beta-10-cygnus-firmware-public-beta-7.171198/

Correct. Friday's are Read-Only in the IT world.
Definitely not true. Many cutovers, go-lives, new implementations happen starting on a Friday afternoon or evening because the business impact is less over the weekend.

Of course, it also depends on the business and segment you are in.

I support Enterprise Mission Critical SAP systems in a Fortune 10 company that can involve multi-million dollars in a single transaction.

Definitely not true. Many cutovers, go-lives, new implementations happen starting on a Friday afternoon or evening because the business impact is less over the weekend.

I support Enterprise Mission Critical SAP systems in a Fortune 10 company that can involve multi-million dollars in a single transaction.
I'm sure there is no stress on that job. :)

Oh for cutovers sure. The company I work for is 24/7. Frequently Saturday nights are the only maintenance windows we can get.

I'm sure there is no stress on that job. :)
It can be very stressful. Especially if you're one of the deep technical resources, which I am. The more you know, the more people come to you for help even when it's not your problem...

Fortunately I have a good group of co-workers...

But the overall IT is a huge number of people in many disparate departments. And some people should not be doing what they do :(

Both of the two major systems I work on are 24/7. They each have different folklore about when it's best to take the system down if you have to to upgrade something, but the fact is, someone will be unable to do what they need to do.

We're not big or savvy enough to have a full live mirror we can kick in. We do Saturdays, or early am weekdays for quick stuff.

Far as promoting to production, the lore says nothing after 3pm and nothing on Fridays. We honor that, mostly... The cowboys sometimes come out on weekends anyway. (he says, ducking...)

It can be very stressful. Especially if you're one of the deep technical resources, which I am. The more you know, the more people come to you for help even when it's not your problem...

Fortunately I have a good group of co-workers...

But the overall IT is a huge number of people in many disparate departments. And some people should not be doing what they do :(
I worked for Intel and several other companies designing chips for many types of products. One mistake can cost several million dollars. Fortunately, I have no known bugs in any of my designs. But that stress of 'what if?' can get pretty intense.

Cygnus was prompted because of a significant change to the preamp code, which flowed into the power-amp code. Drives aren't affected by those changes, however, there are probably some tweaks or fixes that were in progress that got folded in.

The Wiki has modeler progress notes that help explain. Also, each beta release has notes so check those. For instance, at the top of this thread is https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...beta-10-cygnus-firmware-public-beta-7.171198/
I think you misunderstood my question. Didn't ask if there currently are improvements in the drive block, but if the improvements that are being made on the amps can and will eventually be implemented on the drives too.

PS: I thought the word "applicable" I used in my previous post made that clear, cuz it does in my language, but maybe it has a slightly different meaning in english?

I worked for Intel and several other companies designing chips for many types of products. One mistake can cost several million dollars. Fortunately, I have no known bugs in any of my designs. But that stress of 'what if?' can get pretty intense.
That's wild. I can't even imagine the pressure. One big chip recall could tank a semiconductor company.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom