Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 10 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not just a matter of mechanically "porting" it and then it's good to go. IIRC the FM3 architecture is a bit different and there can be random snags along the way, not to mention different optimizations needed to get it to run right.

Also,the FAS team has a fixed (human!) bandwidth for everything they are working on. As an ex-developer, it frustrates me when some decide it should be quick or easy for FAS to do everything all at once. We also know FAS are relative perfectionists even as they try to satisfy our (first world) desires as fast as possible.
Well said YYZ! ......
since this is the AXE III section, FM3'ers should Exit Stage left, and port to FM3 discussion lol

Possible Display Bug:

Within the amp block, scroll using the "Page >>" button to the Output EQ tab. The name of the amp type is shown in blue in the top left corner of the display. Now scroll one further to 'Dynamics' and "8 BAND VAR Q" is now shown in the top left corner. Scroll back to 'Input EQ', and again "8 BAND VAR Q" is displayed. "8 BAND VAR Q" should only appear on the "Output EQ" tab I think.

Note that this is on the unit itself, not Axe Edit.

Anyone on Cygnus that plays Fusion like tones? I want to hear some smooth violin like lead work to know how it sounds. I’m mainly hearing chug metal and certainly nothing against that type of music, I’m looking more for Holdworth lead tones. Anybody?
I've also heard some great edge of breakup or a bit more driven than that tones. Not so much on the liquid but still balsy thing though, would like some of that. We'll all get to play with it soon I hope.

Anyone on Cygnus that plays Fusion like tones? I want to hear some smooth violin like lead work to know how it sounds. I’m mainly hearing chug metal and certainly nothing against that type of music, I’m looking more for Holdworth lead tones. Anybody?
I usually play a lot of fusion and edge of breakup tones, but for this update I've totally gotten down with the Cygnus and been chugging every amp I can try!! LOL!!!

WILL IT CHUG?!?! IT SURE WILL!!!

I'm not a chugger, I'm more like a gilmourizer (the subtle side, not the nasty fuzz side). I don't know if it fussionizes or holdworthizes, but I can assure that it gilmourizes.

Last edited:
The thing I love the most about this firmware is that I have to turn the Amp block level up.

It used to default to ear splitting levels that I always had to turn down.

Now, I level them to 0-3 dB and they sound sweet. Bravo! All the amps sound great.

SLO 100 Lead with Beta 10, basically default settings with Bright Switch off. This is going into my Matrix GTX1000FX and my speaker cab.
Rock heaven. I had never been a fan of SLO in the past, but now - oh my gosh, I think this is going to be my go-to Rock amp.
I'm digging the Bright Cap at 36 pF

I’m sure it’s may have been asked before, but I think I may have an opportunity to score the 3. My question is, I know Austin Buddy’s live gold will have some changes, but with Cygnus will they still very much be a plug and play option even with minor adjustments?

I just was floored with his FM3 stuff, so Defintely want to hear with the new Cygnus and just giving myself a reason to own both units.

Thanks guys!

I’m sure it’s may have been asked before, but I think I may have an opportunity to score the 3. My question is, I know Austin Buddy’s live gold will have some changes, but with Cygnus will they still very much be a plug and play option even with minor adjustments?

I just was floored with his FM3 stuff, so Defintely want to hear with the new Cygnus and just giving myself a reason to own both units.

Thanks guys!

https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...-coming-later-this-spring.164305/post-2049435

My advice is, if you have his FM3 presets, then work with those first. They'll run as-is on an AF3, but might not have all the extra blocks that would be in the AF3-specific version. The basic sound will be there though, and you'll have space to add blocks to customize them as you want and experiment. Use https://forum.fractalaudio.com/thre...later-this-spring.164305/page-11#post-2049435 as a checklist for things to try and see if you can get them to work. If you can then it's a really good learning experience. If not, grab the AF3 versions.

I suspect you'll find you only need to tweak levels in the amp block for the most part, and the Preset Leveling tool makes it easy to adjust things. The amp blocks in Cygnus sound really good by default, and one of the tasks as we've been playing with the beta is we've had to reset our blocks and tweak levels. Loading the FM3 presets in will reset them automatically so you'll just have to tweak... but don't be surprised if you fall down one rabbit hole after another, because amps you never considered before will suddenly come to life and grab your interest. That's been one of the most interesting parts of working with this beta.

mine stays on most of the time.
Heh heh, me too, I turn mine off in the evenings when I go to bed. My post was more of a humorous (or my feeble attempt) angle on the boot times discussion. I play mine nearly all the time and so hardly ever turn it off during the day to see the boot time when I have to power it back on again.
That said, my morning routine is shower, coffee, power it on and it generally only goes off in the evening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom