Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 10 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why every time someone presents something they feel is a bug or issue we need 27 people chiming in to tell them that they don't think there's any problem.

It's not like people are claiming some small thing is going to bring on Armageddon. Just let them state what they're noticing and carry on. Either more people will corroborate that it's an issue and it'll get addressed or nothing will come from it.

Cygnus is a huge leap forward in modeling tiny details and some bigger ones that remove the need for post-eqing, endless IR hunting and most importantly, it growls and screams.
You can't please everybody but cygnus was not even remotely a waste of time. I haven't stopped jamming on it daily since the first public beta and have never been happier with an "amp".
Agreed. The amps in my presets delight me.

Prior to Cygnus I liked the sound of the AF3 but would have used my tube amps when I really wanted “that sound”. Not any more. I can easily imagine using the modeler everywhere I use an amp and know it’ll do just as well or better.

As far as I’m concerned modeling has arrived.

Ok, so I take what I said back earlier.

Now that I've had the time to rest my ears for a bit, I can hear the difference.

The amp models definitely sound a lot more realistic than 15.01.

I'm actually pretty happy with this.
Very cool that a rest gave you that perspective on it. I've learned the tip from interviews with mixing engineers just to walk away every once in a while not to let sound make you lose perspective. I can get caught in a tone trap if I don't watch it, and a weird thing that always helps me is to play with the knobs on my guitar...a lot. :)

I'm sure they can walk and chew gum at the same time, although you're right - it's not a deal breaker by any means. Just a minor annoyance. I like my hardware to be ready to go the moment I turn it on. For a long time Nikon cameras were like that, and Canon weren't, so I'm a Nikon user. In the case of cameras this is pretty critical, actually (although I'm sure Canon apologists will argue otherwise) - you sometimes end up in a situation where the scene would be gone by the time your camera boots. Here, not so much, but, as they used to say at Google, "performance is a feature".
As has been mentioned, the number of presets as well as the number of saved blocks in your block library have a major impact on boot time. The speed at which it boots is really up to which you value more: Being ready quicker or having more presets and saved blocks available.

Speaking of boot times, could something be done about that? It takes a while.

Boot time was already improved in a previous firmware. In the meantime, if that is really crucial:

1) Don't switch it off between sessions
2) Load only the presets that you are going to use on that critical session where these seconds matter
3) Use one of these cheap wireless remote switches for electrical appliances. You press the button as you are approaching, and it will already be powered on when you arrive (unless you are The Flash)

1616577974008.jpeg

Last edited:
Actually #3 is an interesting idea, I didn’t think of this. I do this with the space heater in my basement already, and with my espresso machine.

The speed at which it boots is really up to which you value more: Being ready quicker or having more presets and saved blocks available.
There’s likely greater than 80% chance that there doesn’t have to be a choice between these two objectives, and you can have both, with a modicum of elbow grease. That’s my point pretty much. I’m getting tired of arguing about this, so that’s all I’m going to say on this matter.

Boot time was already improved in a previous firmware. In the meantime, if that is really crucial:

1) Don't switch it off between sessions
2) Load only the presets that you are going to use on that critical session where these seconds matter
3) Use one of these cheap wireless remote switches for electrical appliances. You press the button as you are approaching, and it will already be powered on when you arrive (unless you are The Flash)

View attachment 80500
4) Have 2 Axe-fx IIIs
5)Get a roadie
:)

Not only does it take too long to boot up, but the on-off button is also really stiff and the knobs are the same color as the case which makes it hard to see where the buttons are in an unlit darkened room. I believe my Axe-FX is possessed and the only way to be cured is for Cygnus to be released. There, now I feel better. :cool:

OK, I just timed my (nearly full) Axe-Fx from powered off to fully up and running. It took 21.24 seconds. If you're in such a hurry that 21 seconds is too long, I'm surprised you find any time to play your guitars, lol. I'd much rather FAS spend their time on things that affect the sound or ease of use (song and set lists, for example) than on shortening a 21 second boot time.
Good point.
I switch it on, get a guitar or bass out of the case, put a strap on it, connect it to a lead, connect my headphones, and when I'm done, the Axe is ready.
Plenty of people nowadays want everything instantly and this entitled attitude annoys me.

Personally I don’t really mind the boot time. As previously mentioned, I power on the Axe then by the time I’ve turned my speakers on and picked up my guitar and plugged in, the Axe is on. Live the Axe is the first thing I setup and power on, so by the time I have my guitars out and wireless set, the Axe has been on for a couple minutes. Also I feel like Cliff has other things he’s working on that are more pertinent than boot time. But I totally understand the desire to get to the glorious Axe tones as fast as possible!
Good point.
I switch it on, get a guitar or bass out of the case, put a strap on it, connect it to a lead, connect my headphones, and when I'm done, the Axe is ready.
Plenty of people nowadays want everything instantly and this entitled attitude annoys me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom