Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 10 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know if I applaud or pity your capacity to stay engaged in such meetings. 🙏
The best is when you have a call that you are expected to be on, but you know you won't be expected to talk.

The only problem is I am periodically convinced that the prevailing air currents in my office may have randomly unmuted my phone. Noodly guitar solos are generally not well received in the finance world.

Lock down presents many challenges that go unseen until it's too late. Please make sure you are all getting enough Vitamin D and Magnesium. It'll help keep you limber and in a good mood :)

I suggest putting on the tunes and going out in the sun in your undies for 10 minutes min on each side :)

Up to 50% of Americans are Magnesium deficient and it plays a role in almost every process in your body. I suggest a time release Magnesium supplement.

Be kind to yourself and rewind ... you are a genetic organism and basically a wind up toy ... wind yourselves well my friends!

Last edited:
Texas Star Clean sounds utterly amazing. I paired it with the Legacy 105 (Rumble EV12L RNR1) and Legacy 106 (Rumble EV12S M160) and with the gain on 5, a FET boost in front, big dual delay and the South Church Reverb I can sit here for hours noodling away.

Those Rumble cabs go with just about anything, I'm using them with the Plexi 50W Normal and the Dumble amps and they just seem to work. Dialling in epic tones has never been easier than with Cygnus, top marks to Fractal for this and thank you very much.

EDIT

Attached a copy of the preset - if you have active pickups, switch the CC Boost off in the amp block preamp section.

Attachments

• TEXAS STAR.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
Texas Star Clean sounds utterly amazing. I paired it with the Legacy 105 (Rumble EV12L RNR1) and Legacy 106 (Rumble EV12S M160) and with the gain on 5, a FET boost in front, big dual delay and the South Church Reverb I can sit here for hours noodling away.

The Lonestar amps are gorgeous sounding in real life. I bought my Special after about twenty minutes of playing it at the Hollywood Mesa store, and a bandmate always wants to play through it.

Hello! This may have been mentioned in another FW 16 beta thread, but does anyone know if this update affects the drives at all? I know I read about the gain being a little less for some people on some amps due to the modeling, but did this affect the drive block stuff at all too?

Hello! This may have been mentioned in another FW 16 beta thread, but does anyone know if this update affects the drives at all? I know I read about the gain being a little less for some people on some amps due to the modeling, but did this affect the drive block stuff at all too?
This is a little out of date but it's the gist of the changes:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amp_modeling_progress#Cygnus

Also each release of the beta has notes about the changes so scan through those.

Cut down on your presets. I have like 2 saved and my Axe boots up in a blink.
Good to know, thanks. I don’t need a ton of presets, most of mine are stock and I use maybe 10 of my own. In fact my usage of AxeFX eventually converged to an amp-like situation, and of these 10, 3 are workhorse presets I use all the time: clean, crunch, and high gain. The rest are only used every now and then.

But as a software engineer myself, I’m pretty sure that if boot times haven’t been optimized yet, there’s a good chance they could be improved with 80% of the initial benefit coming from 20% of work.

Not a huge priority to be sure. But a good project for a new hire perhaps.

Good to know, thanks. I don’t need a ton of presets, most of mine are stock and I use maybe 10 of my own. In fact my usage of AxeFX eventually converged to an amp-like situation, and of these 10, 3 are workhorse presets I use all the time: clean, crunch, and high gain. The rest are only used every now and then.

But as a software engineer myself, I’m pretty sure that if boot times haven’t been optimized yet, there’s a good chance they could be improved with 80% of the initial benefit coming from 20% of work.

Not a huge priority to be sure. But a good project for a new hire perhaps.
Just an idea for @FractalAudio : maybe the presets cache could be done in a background thread and the presets tab become available only once this thread finished?

Damn, do you microwave your pop tarts?
Haven’t had one in the past decade. Other than beer, I eat and drink pretty healthy. Not necessarily to live longer, I just feel better without eating the insane amounts of sugar that are otherwise “normal” in US diet.

But yeah, I wish the microwave was faster too.

This is a little out of date but it's the gist of the changes:

https://wiki.fractalaudio.com/wiki/index.php?title=Amp_modeling_progress#Cygnus

Also each release of the beta has notes about the changes so scan through those.
Got ya! Thanks for the reply! So, I didn’t see anything about the drive blocks, so I assume those are as is/was.

If that’s the case, and a scene with a drive on seems to have less gain or less perceived gain, I imagine a quick way to get back to the relative gain amount would be just by adjusting the amp’s input drive and that should get things relatively back to “familiar” if anyhing feels different, I assume?

Or store the cache in memory. Update this cache everytime a preset name is changed or a preset is imported etc...
Odds are really good the cache is in memory after the unit has finished its boot, and then disappears when the power is removed, resulting in the need to reload the cache the next time it is powered up. That delay when we save a preset would be when the cache is updated and the preset is written to the non-volatile memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom