Axe-Fx III 16.00 Beta 10 "Cygnus" Firmware - Public Beta #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there errors possibly still in the Friedman BE100 model? I have tried all of the available models/voicings for it under the latest beta and most of them sound killer! However, sounds like there's some weirdness going on with the HBE V1 C45, BE V2, HBE V2, and HBE V2 C45. Not sure of the technical term for it but I believe it was referred to as crossover distortion before.
here is a post from one of the other Cygnus threads you may have missed . try this and see if it helps

From Fractal

Cygnus version sounds better IMO. A bit more crossover distortion but you can increase the Power Tube Bias to reduce that.

Also note that the BE/HBE were all updated to 2018 spec so the negative feedback is much lower. This will result in less presence for equal settings of the Presence control.

If you want the sound of 15.01 increase Negative Feedback to 9.8.

Last edited: Wednesday at 11:00 PM

Are there errors possibly still in the Friedman BE100 model? I have tried all of the available models/voicings for it under the latest beta and most of them sound killer! However, sounds like there's some weirdness going on with the HBE V1 C45, BE V2, HBE V2, and HBE V2 C45. Not sure of the technical term for it but I believe it was referred to as crossover distortion before.
That's the way the HBE channel sounds. The problem with the design is that the drive control is located between the 3rd and 4th gain stages. Too far back IMO. This causes a lot of distortion and also a lot of bias excursion before the drive control with no way to control it.

In most amps the drive control is located after the first stage (input buffer). Some amps have a second drive control, typically called an Overdrive, located further downstream which allows you to balance the pre- and post distortion.

One way to deal with it is to decrease the Input Trim and increase the Input Drive. You can also try reducing the Master Bias Excursion but that won't get rid of the pre-drive control distortion.

A lot of people like this sound though. It has a certain stringy quality that many people find desirable.

The Uberschall sounds like 13 angry dwarves fighting cave trolls now and that's just in mono. It's way, way tighter and more clear than it used to be, provided you do the usual presence knob focus stuff.
Treble on 6 is more than enough now with the YA bogner standard cab. The pinging is from traditional bridge saddles.

I was waiting for the final release on 16, F$%# it, I took the plunge. Well.............. damn, I started typing this post 45 min. ago. Forgot about it, too busy playing. Seems like I can hear the note in front of low end instead of the lows fighting the note, if that makes sense. Before 16, I was High passing in the cab block to tighten up the lows. Now it just sounds right. Amazing.

The Uberschall sounds like 13 angry dwarves fighting cave trolls now and that's just in mono. It's way, way tighter and more clear than it used to be, provided you do the usual presence knob focus stuff.
Treble on 6 is more than enough now with the YA bogner standard cab. The pinging is from traditional bridge saddles.

I vote for Johnny to write the amp descriptions going forward. No less the 13 Dwarves could create such a din... 👍🏻

Put it in stereo then. That's 26 dwarves by my math!

Mind sharing the preset? That's sounds delicious af

I vote for Johnny to write the amp descriptions going forward. No less the 13 Dwarves could create such a din... 👍🏻
Here's a video from my phone, apologies, showing the righteous Uberschall; with both real cabs and IRs, then just real, then with IRs for wet delay. I'd use headphones because I could only get to a little over 90 dB in the room as it's almost 9 pm here so it sounds a bit thin with awful string noise ... I know right? :)

Link to my rig.

Last edited:
Oof. Where to start? Finally got a good solid hour of play time in tonight with the Beta10. EVERYTHING sounds better. The 6G12! The AC15TB! Absolutely freaking unbelievable how punchy and present they are!

One thing I noticed, though, with the Mk !!C+ and MkIV sounds I have dialed in previously, is that I will likely have to change my favorite cab from Zilla to the old MS12 150W Black Shadow IR I had hanging around from years ago, with the 1x12 Class-A 15W impedance curve. It has the sound. Might have to look up some EVM12L IRs as well. The Zilla fattened things up nicely on the bottom with the pre-16 firmwares, but now the bottom is already fat and punchy, so the extra bottom the Zilla provided is not needed, and sounds a little bit too bottom heavy. Punchy, chewy, and the drive's grain sounds a bit more GR-RRR! than before - like someone else said, like it switched from 150 grit to about 80 grit (or something along that line).

I've noticed that the leveling seems to be much better now with regular IRs, there is way less disparity between real cabs and IRs. I used to struggle with that so much, IRs sounding boxy and distant. You can tell in the video above how punchy they are and only from four 12 inch speakers compared to 24.

Am I the only one that's noticing a little more noise as notes are decaying? I started noticing it on the first public beta and this one is the second I have loaded...

Maybe it's just the Amp modeling being more accurate but I feel like I'm hearing more of the typical amp "hum" as chords ring out.

Aside from that I'm digging everything.

Just curious if others have noticed it or just me?

Oof. Where to start? Finally got a good solid hour of play time in tonight with the Beta10. EVERYTHING sounds better. The 6G12! The AC15TB! Absolutely freaking unbelievable how punchy and present they are!

One thing I noticed, though, with the Mk !!C+ and MkIV sounds I have dialed in previously, is that I will likely have to change my favorite cab from Zilla to the old MS12 150W Black Shadow IR I had hanging around from years ago, with the 1x12 Class-A 15W impedance curve. It has the sound. Might have to look up some EVM12L IRs as well. The Zilla fattened things up nicely on the bottom with the pre-16 firmwares, but now the bottom is already fat and punchy, so the extra bottom the Zilla provided is not needed, and sounds a little bit too bottom heavy. Punchy, chewy, and the drive's grain sounds a bit more GR-RRR! than before - like someone else said, like it switched from 150 grit to about 80 grit (or something along that line).
Whoa, I may have to find that Black Shadow IR! And since my real Mark IIC- came w the EVL, that one is a to-do as well! Cheers for your input.

Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom