Axe FX II

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCU2

Can anyone provide an idea as to when we can expect the next AXE Fx model (AXE FX III) to be on its way? Don't want to buy the II only to have the III come out a month later....

Sorry if this is a newbie question but I can't find any reliable info so far.

Thx in advance.

Josh

There's been absolutely no mention of a new model anytime soon. Cliff is still producing new firmware updates for the II. Just buy the II and enjoy it. Original Axe FX (Standard and Ultra) units are still fetching good money on the used market, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. You'll have no problem selling the II if that time comes.

Can anyone provide an idea as to when we can expect the next AXE Fx model (AXE FX III) to be on its way? Don't want to buy the II only to have the III come out a month later....

Thx in advance.

Josh

Why do you think a bunch of end users on a discussion forum would have any idea of product development and the critical competitive advantages of Fractal audio ??

Maybe Cliff has a working prototype, maybe it will come out next month, maybe he hasn't even laid out any specs on paper yet and its several years away. Regardless, anyone who has any insider information is just that, an insider, and I think they would very quickly find themselves an outsider if shared critical business information.

It would be business suicide and totally kill the market for any current products if Cliff came out and said "hey guys, I'll have an Axe III coming out in 3 months, its night and day better than the Axe II, you'll be amazing. If I was you I sure would hold off buying anything til then".

Lol. If the people who are fanatical end users and fans of Cliff's work don't have any idea or insight of what's happening with a product they love... then nobody does. The reason I asked here is obvious. I would suspect such people would be better informed than others.

In terms of the product cycle, your comments aren't necessarily realistic observations. It's not unheard of for the market to get wind of product developments thru a variety of means including commentary from employees.

So... don't really understand the point of your comments....

It would be business suicide and totally kill the market for any current products if Cliff came out and said "hey guys, I'll have an Axe III coming out in 3 months, its night and day better than the Axe II, you'll be amazing. If I was you I sure would hold off buying anything til then".

Considering how good Fractal has been with support for the current units I would not be surprised if they would actually do that.

The Axe-Fx 2 is still one of the best sounding units on the market and I can't even wish for anything more when it comes to tone. All I want now is an Axe-Fx 3 with a better hardware user interface.

As of about a year ago, Cliff actually stated on this forum that Fractal had not begun work on a next generation unit yet. So... Contrary to what was posted above, we do have some information to go on ;)

As of about a year ago, Cliff actually stated on this forum that Fractal had not begun work on a next generation unit yet. So... Contrary to what was posted above, we do have some information to go on ;)

Thx. That's actually helpful. That comment would mean that any upgrades coming will be through firmware and not hardware at this juncture. Which means the best choice right now is the II model. As I suspected, the end users do actually have some insight.

A theoretical new Axe-FX box is still gonna run the same Quantum firmware that you can get on the current box. That's the core of the system and Cliff is far from done with it.

The last big bottleneck was the storage limit of the Mk.II which was solved by consensus opinion that retention of old modeling algorithms was not needed and therefore not retained.

The XL+, as I understand it, still has room for growth...

...unless, of course, the man has another fall off the toilet and "Great Scott!" moment and obsolesces everything.

MkqBGfR.gif

Thx in advance.

Josh

Hey Josh,

No. No one can provide an idea of when the next generation is coming out.

It is speculated and talked about here from noob's and veterans alike. No need for apologies.

I've owned the Ultra, Mark I and now XL+, I've enjoyed them all and have had great success re-selling to upgrade to the next version too.

I would love to see an "AX8 XL+" with combined forces of the AX8 and XL+ all in a floor board.

Hey Josh,

No. No one can provide an idea of when the next generation is coming out.

It is speculated and talked about here from noob's and veterans alike. No need for apologies.

I've owned the Ultra, Mark I and now XL+, I've enjoyed them all and have had great success re-selling to upgrade to the next version too.

I would love to see an "AX8 XL+" with combined forces of the AX8 and XL+ all in a floor board.

Thx Barh. Reported earlier in the thread that Cliff indicated they haven't even begun to work on next gen model... so it appears safe to go with the II for now. I just wanted to make sure I didn't miss any obvious news on a new model coming...

Appreciate the feedback guys.

If you want to buy one, just get the current version, which is the final uber version of the Axe FX II. It will serve you fine and probably the longest of the II series. Don't wait for the Axe FX III, because then you'll feel screwed over when the Axe FX III+ comes out, and III+ XL, and III+ XL++ comes out, culminating in the final uber version of any potential III series. Which, and only then will be the one I am getting. That's my strategy, always and only get the final uber version of a new unit. Let the early adopters get all the other versions in between. Until then, my current unit will do just fine.

I’m guessing my question about a new model coming out wasn’t as dumb as it appeared nowadays? Also, it appears Cliff wasn’t being honest about not working on a next generation unit only if that is indeed what he stated as you indicate... just added my name to the waiting list for Axe FX 3

to my knowledge, this is the last thing said regarding a new model:

We haven't even started working on an Axe-Fx 3. We expect to continue making the Axe-Fx II for at least a couple more years.

^^ that was posted June 7th, 2016. Cliff just recently referenced that quote and said

That was said in June of 2016 and at the time it was true.

gonna close this thread as there are other ones about this already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom