Axe-Fx II XL

power users would need more dsp power, more outputs and stuff...more presets and more IRs doesnt sound like more power to me in real terms...i think its more for the fx 1 or ultra guys or the new buyers.

More stuff on the grid and more X/Y options are definitely power user options. I agree that more presets and IR slots aren't that important at the moment but I think that's just a benefit of the extra memory. I like the idea but wish I could afford upgrading.

more stuff on the grid? i must have missed that part...does it mean u can put more than 2 pitch blocks or more of any possible block in compared to axe 2...if yes, ok thats smth for power users...but still not enough for me to sell my axe 2 and get the new one...when there's more dsp and other hardware stuff i will definitelt make the move...but still i also think great option for one who will buy for the first time an axe fx 2

More stuff on the grid and more X/Y options are definitely power user options. I agree that more presets and IR slots aren't that important at the moment but I think that's just a benefit of the extra memory. I like the idea but wish I could afford upgrading.

Funnily enough, I don't actually have GAS for this! If there was an upgrade pack for the II then maybe, but for me it's no biggie. I'm glad it uses the new hi res IRs though. That might have given me pause for thought.

more stuff on the grid? i must have missed that part...does it mean u can put more than 2 pitch blocks or more of any possible block in compared to axe 2

That's how I take it.

"Double-capacity preset size allows for expanded functionality including X/Y switching on more blocks and more instances of effects."

Like us that bought the blasted RJ-45 port versions of the Axe and MFC when Ethercon wasn't released, this would be a nice-to-have but nothing to get me to lose a load of money and get one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I take it.

"Double-capacity preset size allows for expanded functionality including X/Y switching on more blocks and more instances of effects."
As long as you are limited to the DSP power anyway, why would you need crazy stuff like 3 delay or chorus blocks? ;)

But I can see this useful for the power-user who wants everything in one preset.

512 presets? I can barely fill up the first 20 cause of massive scenes abuse. D:

A possible use for this, however, is for "light" foot controlling. As you got a double pedal jack on the Axe II XL, you can have an expression pedal and a "next preset" button at the same time. This is also where the extended memory really matters.

So you can basicly use the Axe FX 2 without any midi footcontroller at all and still do not miss an expression pedal!
--> this saves you a lot of money, which justifies the higher cost on the XL axe, so it might be an option for the performance-heavy guitar player that doesn't want to be glued to his pedalboard.

It would be one thing if the XL allowed 4 simultaneous amps blazing along feeding 2 cabinets per amp, but I don't see many guitarists doing that with actual amps anyways.

You can already 4 possible amps and cab combinations in the same patch using x/y function for each amp & cab using 8 scenes.

More instances of FX might be good, but so far I haven't had the need for it. The way I program with my guitars and playing style, I am hard pressed to get the CPU past 85% for the tones I like.

It would be neat if FAS had a USB upgrade module for the extra memory if you needed it, but I am glad I bought the Mark II in December based on what I use it for.

I just had the (scary) thought that this may well push the AF 3 on us sooner rather than later. With the current AF2, we have to add quite a few things to run into CPU issues. But I assume with the ability to have more blocks, I assume that means up to 4 drive and delay blocks and similar, the CPU limitation will become more apparent as people will cram more things into their scene driven presets. And the sooner more people have issues with CPU issues, the sooner the need for an upgraded CPU. Maybe having 4 CPU's instead of the 2 in the AF2 (XL). But an upgraded CPU in whatever form will surely mean an incompatible firmware as a result.

Back
Top Bottom