Axe FX II XL won't connect via USB for Fractal Box or Axe Edit

monkeymanx

Inspired
This is the error I get:

"A time-out has occurred while attempting to query the firmware version. Please verify the following:

1) The connected device matches the selected device.
2) The device is connected to the computer and powered on.
3) The device driver is properly installed.

If the device is an Axe-Fx II running firmware version 8.0 or earlier, you need to use Fractal-Bot version 1.2.7."

That is from Fractal Bot. Axe Edit tries to communicate but then fails. These are the things I tried:

Different USB cable
Different USB port
Different computer
One computer with Mac OS X Yosemite
One computer with Windows 8.1

I just got the XL today from Fractal and it shows firmware of 16.02. The device shows up in both Mac OS X and Windows, the communication just seems to be defunct.

Any ideas?

Indeed I did...

I just connected via MIDI cables. Maybe the firmware is bad or something. I'm trying to re flash it. Sending a firmware via MIDI appears to be sssslllllooooowwww...

Yes, both Mac and Windows attempts. The error message is the same regardless if it is on the Mac I have or Windows machine. Leads me to believe it isn't OS or machine specific.

Re installed the firmware 16.02 and no change. Maybe a bad USB port on the Axe FX II XL? Damn, I just opened the box a couple hours ago. My frown is extreme. Any suggestions? Anybody? It appears to be something with the unit.

When you choose preferences in Axe Edit, what ports are selected? (Should be AxeFXII Midi for both).
Is your Axe Edit version 3.1.1?

Sending it back for a replacement or repair or something. Tonight my heart weeps with sorrow... I shall cry pools of tears until it returns for my use.

Uninstall completely, all drivers and software, reboot, re-install drivers axe-edit etc..., reboot once more. connect via USB, the turn on axe. Now how you doing? Give it a shot.

Done all that. Now tried even on a Windows 7 computer with no dice. Also tried the audio over USB and it makes weird scratchy noises. It is most definitely shot. So, multiple computers, multiple USB cables, multiple operating systems... It's pretty safe to say I have ruled out everything other than it being the Axe FX II XL's USB port. Hopefully I get it back quick so I can start playing.

Done all that. Now tried even on a Windows 7 computer with no dice. Also tried the audio over USB and it makes weird scratchy noises. It is most definitely shot. So, multiple computers, multiple USB cables, multiple operating systems... It's pretty safe to say I have ruled out everything other than it being the Axe FX II XL's USB port. Hopefully I get it back quick so I can start playing.
Only other thing I can think of is to try and swap USB cables, might be a crap cable? You did that sorry, Well I tried, that sucks bro.

It could be possible some of the coding for the USB port was missed upon reflashing 16.02. Whatever you do, which I'm sure you probably know,
Is don't interrupt the flash for any reason, midi is SLOW, bet it works, as long as the computer is acknowledging the axe, I doubt it is the usb port,
It would'nt show at all, sounds like firmware stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom