Axe FX II XL+ support

I first joined the Fractal family when the AxeFX II Mark I was shipped w/Firmware 7. Prior to that I was a die-hard Line 6 (Pod) fan. Fractal has never disappointed in the time I've been with them! I can't say the same for Line 6. Unless I'm mistaken, when a new version of Pod was released, firmware releases for the older Pods stopped altogether. It would be very easy for this company to do the same, but Cliff chooses to support / update his older products instead. That's really a rarity in today's business world.

Yay for ported epiphanies however long it lasts!

But I would like to courteously temper any crazy expectations for the naive.

My first Fractal was an Ultra and the last firmware update came out as they sold out the last Ultra units in the Fractal store. Then the product was officially discontinued. It makes perfect sense, yet for a long time people on the forum begged for more Ultra\Standard updates every time something new and cool was released for the II.

The situation is a bit different today. First, they haven't officially discontinued the II XL+ just yet. And who knows, they might not for a while, since it's a lower price point and they might still see some limited demand.

Secondly, AX8 shares codebase with the XL+ so any updates for AX8 might as well be released for the XL+ too. So even if the XL+ gets discontinued, if AX8 gets something new I believe Cliff is the sort of guy who would include updates for the XL+, since it's not too much extra effort. And to my first point, this is another reason to keep XL+ an active product a while longer.

Of course I'm speculating, but I think firmware updates will truly end once new floor units come out to replace the AX8\FX8. I'm betting on a new TI-based floor unit sharing codebase with the III, and I'm gonna go ahead and guess that will happen later this year :)

Wow, didnt expect that, this definitely will soften the wait to scrap together the budget for a III.
Just am starting to get the II sound like I never achieved before, guess the 8&9 FW are partly responsible for that.

Wow, didnt expect that, this definitely will soften the wait to scrap together the budget for a III.
Just am starting to get the II sound like I never achieved before, guess the 8&9 FW are partly responsible for that.

I agree, the high gain presets I made this week are probably the best I have ever made in years. I know this is because of 9.04 since Cliff improved the low end depth punch. This was always my biggest complaint about the Axe-FX II, and improving that final weak area is a good way to go out. :)

From a processor that never got an update, to one that there is still a probability to get one.

The first one was a Digitech processor that I was almost happy with. I'm glad that my second one is Fractal's second one, and most probably, my third one will be Fractal's third one.

I'm so happy to be, even if a useless one, a member of this family. Amazing job is the only thing that can be told for what you guys are doing.

I hope that you guys achieve at least the same success with the third version.

... said a future Af3 + Fc6 owner.

Any epiphanies I have will get ported to the II and the AX-8. Obviously our focus at this time is on the III and the FC's.
Awesome. From the man himself. Just one reason FAS is at the top of the heap. That is phenomenal news; Cliff and Co never cease to amaze. Great to see the supported product line branching out.

Any epiphanies I have will get ported to the II and the AX-8. Obviously our focus at this time is on the III and the FC's.

;-)
That are magnificent news!
And it makes the difference in companies ...
Thanks for such a long support in updates (for the Mark II)!

Kind regards from europe!
By the way; the Axe-Fx III looks great, with great specs!
So the time will come, ... ;-)

Mike

Thank you for your thoughts on likely update situation for the II, Cliff.

I'm really pleased with the launch of the III, but as a bedroom player I have the ultimate weapon for my needs. Knowing that the updates have reached their natural conclusion (with maybe 1 final "e'cliff'phany" as the bow on the present?) would be a fitting zenith for the II. Clearly just a personal view and others may wish updates to continue ad finitum.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your cool journeys with the III - looks very substantial, and no doubt this community will take it to new levels with their experimentation and feedback.

Everyone does realize it is inevitable that the axe fxII support will come to an end right?
The III is built on a completely new architecture, fractal at some point will have to abandon it. We all have to come to terms with that. To expect anything more than that is unfair to fractal.
If you want to continue the journey and get some of the features that may have been on your wish list you will eventually have to upgrade.

Pretty sure that's literally what happened.
Cliff even asked the forum whether to keep that modelling version knob or continue with firmware updates...

True. If I remember correctly, the response was overwhelmingly "remove the feature". Kept the Mark I / Mark II platform open for new updates to this day.

This is awesome. Thanks again Cliff and FAS. I will eventually upgrade to Axe FX III but as a user of II and AX8 it's great to continute journey for a while. in the meantime I begin saving for getting the III. FAS user and fan for life here.

Everyone does realize it is inevitable that the axe fxII support will come to an end right?
The III is built on a completely new architecture, fractal at some point will have to abandon it. We all have to come to terms with that. To expect anything more than that is unfair to fractal.
If you want to continue the journey and get some of the features that may have been on your wish list you will eventually have to upgrade.

That's perfectly fine. It's a mature product where there are not that many things that could be improved within the limitations of the hardware. I'd like to see the parameters where you can attach modifiers be opened up and made to allow more external controllers but otherwise I'm happy with it as is.

Back
Top Bottom