Axe-FX II XL+ Sounds Dull/Dry?

I always found the cab sims (both stock & third party) to sound dull/muffled. So, as a result, Just about all the factory presets were no good to me as FRFR presets. It wasn't until I did an IR of my own real cab that the whole thing made sense, the resulting IR was clear and bright. Just like my real cab.
It took me a while to realise that MY 4x12 cab which is a basic 1960A is in fact rather bright sounding compared to other stock cabs in combos etc. A friends ENGL 4x12 was incredibly dull sounding. But of course, just about right in a live band mix, i.e. Plenty of midrange but not much else. So, in essence those 'dull' sounding cabs are actually very accurate indeed. It's a matter of context. I'm thinking of rolling off some of the hi cut from my cab IR now, to make my presets a bit mor like those factory cabs.....

I have no idea where you're located but if it happens to be Melbourne, Australia I'll be happy to help you get up and running properly.

I discovered that leaving input impedance on Auto was part of the problem. Switching it to 1M cleans it up in many situations.

I discovered that leaving input impedance on Auto was part of the problem. Switching it to 1M cleans it up in many situations.
Auto will use 1M in most cases. I believe only with specific blocks as the 1st in the signal path will it change.

Back
Top Bottom