Axe FX II XL +, Sonar X3, Focusrite 18i8 recording trouble...

I just got an Axe FX II XL+ with a MFC Mark III combo, I use Sonar X3 producer for my DAW and a Focusrite Scarlett 18i8. I've got a bunch of tracks already done and recorded but I wanted to redo the guitar parts with the Axe FX. Now I have it hooked up via USB so I could record in stereo on 1/2 and dry on 3/4 without hooking up a bunch of cables. I was told that USB is the cleanest way to record the Axe FX as well. Now whenever I launch Sonar with the Axe FX on, it will override the 18i8 as my main soundcard device and it won't let me change it back! Now if i fire the Axe FX up after I launch Sonar, it won't be recognized.When I use the Axe FX as the main soundcard, any other VST's I have already in use will not work, Omnisphere will not work at all. Whenever I use the 18i8 everything works great but the Axe FX isn't recognized.

Is there anyway to fix this? Or should I just plug into the Focusrite and hope it doesn't color the sound?

I don't use Sonar, but I'm surprised it doesn't allow you to change devices. That sounds like a poor design. Are you using ASIO?

I don't use Sonar, but I'm surprised it doesn't allow you to change devices. That sounds like a poor design. Are you using ASIO?
Yes I'm using ASIO. I've used Sonar for years and I've never come across a problem like this. The Sonar forums literally told me "Ask the fractal forums.." haha

The axe FX becomes my default sound card and i have no idea why. When it does, it won't allow me to switch back to the Focusrite for ANY reason unless i turn it off and restart the DAW.

Note you cannot use two simultaneous devices in ASIO. In "Audio/Devices", you must deselect Axe Fx to use the Scarlett.

I also believe there is a bug in Sonar if you look at "Audio/Sync and Caching" the Record Latency Adjustment reads "Axe FX" but the values are for the device selected. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are paranoid you can do a loop back test and manually offset the samples based on the round trip delay.

Note you cannot use two simultaneous devices in ASIO. In "Audio/Devices", you must deselect Axe Fx to use the Scarlett.

I also believe there is a bug in Sonar if you look at "Audio/Sync and Caching" the Record Latency Adjustment reads "Axe FX" but the values are for the device selected. I wouldn't worry about it, but if you are paranoid you can do a loop back test and manually offset the samples based on the round trip delay.

Thanks i'll give this a try and see if what you said works and report back. One of the main reason i want to keep the Axe FX USB on is because I can edit in Axe Edit so fast and easy for tones to record with.

I've used Sonar for a long time and never had a problem like this. I'm using EMU 0404 USB for main use and Axe FX for guitar tracking just the way you described. Maybe you are using a template that has Axe FX as the default audio device? If not maybe you can try to make a template that has your Focusrite setup? One way to avoid this also is to power up your Axe FX after starting Sonar (it will ask if you want to change the device). I'll always have to do this if I'm using Pro Tools. For some reason it becomes infinitely slow and eventually crashes if both units are on during the start up of Pro Tools.

I've used Sonar for a long time and never had a problem like this. I'm using EMU 0404 USB for main use and Axe FX for guitar tracking just the way you described. Maybe you are using a template that has Axe FX as the default audio device? If not maybe you can try to make a template that has your Focusrite setup? One way to avoid this also is to power up your Axe FX after starting Sonar (it will ask if you want to change the device). I'll always have to do this if I'm using Pro Tools. For some reason it becomes infinitely slow and eventually crashes if both units are on during the start up of Pro Tools.

Your tip on starting Axe FX up AFTER Sonar helped not make it recognized as the main soundcard. Now how to I record with it? Do I have to constantly switch back and forth between the Focusrite and Axe FX in preferences?!? Or should I record in something other than ASIO?!?

All you have to do is go into Edit>Preferences>Devices and deselect the Axe FX then select the Scarlet. Vice versa when you want to use the Axe FX. You can't have to ASIO devices active at one time, hence you can't select one or the other from the audio input drop-down on the track view. Turn on time doesn't matter.

Here's a link to my reamping tutorial that shows how to use spdif to record your dry and reamped tracks. With this way, your Focusrite is always being used in SONAR and you can connect the Axe-Fx II USB to your PC to use Axe-Edit.

It's post #20

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...tt-6i6-for-spdif-reamping.76406/#post-1316561

The link is also on the Wiki:
http://wiki.fractalaudio.com/axefx2/index.php?title=Reamping

I wrote the tutorial using SONAR X3 Pro, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 and Axe-Fx II.

Last edited:
I use to use Sonar, then switched the Repear I am a 1,000x happier. More updates, better prices, sounds even better, runs smoother. I have a focusrite as well so give reaper a shot, it's free for 60 days.

I had a similar problem and got it working like this. Download ASIO4ALL driver and install. go into ASIO4ALL control panel and turn on your AXE drivers and your sound card drivers. Also set the buffer to a lower setting. You can go in after and use trial and error with the buffer to find a setting that will work but give decent low latency. Start sonar and then go into preferences/audio/playback and recording and switch to ASIO drivers. then go into devices and select the ASIO4ALL drivers that are for your card and AXE. next go into driver settings and pick 48000 sample rate and 24 bit .
Now you should be able to pick your axe to record from and your sound card to listen through. I hope this helps you.
I found sonar would not work consistently for me this way but at least I got it to work some.

I would advise to to avoid using ASIO4ALL and just stick to either Axe FX drivers or Focusrite drivers. The ASIO4ALL is just a wrapper and the original drivers made by manufacturers of these devices will be more reliable.

My way of doing things is to record all demo material through my EMU audio interface and I use the Axe FX as an interface only if I need to record DI signal aswell.

The difference in sound quality is not really noticeable between EMU and Axe FX but yes technically the cleanest way to record is to record digitally through Axe FX USB. You can also try the SPDIF for digital recording like someone already suggested.

BTW Sonar is a fantastic DAW and switching DAW is really irrevelant here.

Last edited:
I agree, stay away from ASIO4ALL because that will just add more confusion and could cause issues.

I've been using a Line 6 POD Studio UX2, Axe-Fx II and Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 for over 3 years with SONAR on multiple different Desktop and Laptop PC's running Win7, Win8.1 and Win10 and haven't had issues selecting different sound devices. You have to make sure you deselect all inputs and outputs of your current device before you can select a different device. You can also go into Windows control panel Sound and change your default device, so apps like Windows Media Player, iTunes VLC, Foobar2000 will play through the device you want.

Does anyone know if Reaper can do a sound card and AXE at the same time?
This is about the only good use-case for ASIO4ALL. You can use it to use multiple interfaces, and I believe an internal soundcard will show as an interface. It might introduce latency, though.

Back
Top Bottom