Axe FX II XL possibly defective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisMetal86

Experienced
This problem has been going on since I got the unit. I hear crackling and popping coming through my left monitor. At first I thought it was a bad XLR cable so I replaced it. Same thing. Swapped the monitors around and it still did it. Then I just chalked it up to interference from some outside source. FAS Support sent me file to install that might fix it with some issue. It fixed it so I thought. A few days later it started back up...

So this weekend I finally had a chance to really experiment with it. I took it to a friend's music shop. He had it completely rewired 2 years ago, its dead silent in there with no interference because he has a super nice studio in the underground level. That is where we tested it. I reset the system, reloaded firmware, played with headphones only, played through monitors only, did USB recording, new guitar cables, new XLR cables, with MFC and Expression pedal connected, without MFC and expression pedal connected. Close to computers, far away from computers in an isolated soundproof room, the whole nine yards. Still crackle and pops coming from the left side monitor and through the headphones. The recording was way worse because it was skipping in between crackles and pops. Used new USB cables as well. Still the same thing. Tried different types of monitors. Still same results. Its not a constant thing, but its becoming more constant.

Any ideas of anything else before sending it to FAS for repairs? :grey:

My main concern is now that I've taken a position filling in for a friends band that has a huge local/statewide following, is that it will be doing this even worse at higher volumes for gigs. And also with the recording issue as well. :blue:

Hopefully I can get it sorted out quickly because I have a big gig on October 31st for the first time since 2007.. I really don't want to use the back line of a JCM800 that never sounds the same, and every time you turn it on it sounds different, and its not my sound either. :-|

-Chris

Edit: Also, my CPU usage on the XL was less than 52% and the CPU usage on the computer recording it was around 14% so it wasn't CPU overload on either device.

Last edited:
did USB recording

I think you need to send it in for service asap so that you can get it back asap but I had a question about the usb recording part.

I bet if you did the a/d conversion before the Axe and used spdif or usb io everything would sound fine. So the problem is likely just the left main analog output. But FAS will figure that out and the only way is to send it in and get it over with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom