Axe Fx II XL Plus + Matrix + Cab Orange Ppc410

Veloso1978

Inspired
Hello everyone,

Any one knows how to make a good sounds with a real cab?
Sounds good but do not had the quality with phones , and in front of PA looks small and confuse sometimes. Any paramaters to make sound big and great sound on a real cab and front of Pa?
Thanks

Are you using both outputs so that the cab gets a signal without an IR and the PA gets it with the IR?

If you aren't sending a cab block IR through the orange cab, then you should pretty much automatically have it sounding just like you stuck a regular head on top of your cab.

Also I find it best to Max the matrix volume knob and use the axefx out 1/2 knobs to control the volume.

The Axe cannot make a cab sound bigger or better than it is.
No but it can definitely make it sound worse than it is, especially if you're just sending identical tones to FOH and the cab.

I've never messed with a 410 personally, but I'd have a hard time believing it's not capable of an awesome huge tone.

Edit: to the OP what kind of tones are you going for?

Hello everyone,

Any one knows how to make a good sounds with a real cab?
Sounds good but do not had the quality with phones , and in front of PA looks small and confuse sometimes. Any paramaters to make sound big and great sound on a real cab and front of Pa?
Thanks

I've had no luck with a Matrix and a real cab (Mesa jumbo 4*12 Recto, and Marshall 1960 4*12).

Try a different amp. For me, It made all the difference.

I love my Matrix - I think it sounds and feels great through my 2X12. You can't use the same chain for your cab AND for direct FOH.
You need to send one chain ( withOUT a cab block) to output 1 to matrix. Then send another ( WITH a cab block) to output 2 to FOH.
There are a ton of people here who are using a Matrix with a real cab and have great results. As someone else said - the speaker page controls make all the difference. And make sure you have the amp sims on in global.

I've had no luck with a Matrix and a real cab (Mesa jumbo 4*12 Recto, and Marshall 1960 4*12).

Try a different amp. For me, It made all the difference.

Interesting. I've had nothing but great luck using a Marshall 1960B 4x12. My rig is the AxeFX into a Matrix 1000 then out to the 4x12. I've occasionally used two 4x12 cabs live and it always sounds fantastic. Part of the trick (for me) is to turn off all speaker emulation. Then simply run the AxeFX as if it was an amp head. Then just tweak the eq, etc until the desired tone is achieved. It's really not that complicated. My goto amp in the AxeFX has typically been the 5150 models but I've used the Friedman and Marshall models with good success. I use the JTM model for all my clean sounds.

Not if you follow these two rules:
1) Avoid buttery butter. That is, Turn off all the stuff in the Axe, that the real cab setup does naturally.
2) Get the speaker page right.

Yea... Which is what I was suggesting in the first reply to the OP and then reinforcing in my to you. It sounds like he's just using the same signal chain/preset for headphones, FOH and cab rather than setting them up for each use case.

Yea... Which is what I was suggesting in the first reply to the OP and then reinforcing in my to you. It sounds like he's just using the same signal chain/preset for headphones, FOH and cab rather than setting them up for each use case.
It can be the same signal chain.
For example:
Single amp block, connected to FX loop out and a cab block. FX loop out goes to a real amp and cab, cab block goes to front PA.
The IR is taken of that real cab.
The Speaker page is set up correctly for that real cab, therefore for the cab IR too.
Speaker compression (or anything else cab related) is off in the Amp block. Cab block has motor drive dialled in to compensate. Even though, this is not ideal and I wish you wouldn't have to do that, it's not that bad. This is the old way of doing it and it worked great for everyone until it became an amp block thing.
if you like the tone from the real cab, but not the PA, compensate with an EQ block, or the global EQ controls.

Headphone out, well...
You don't ever listen to a PA, the headphones and a cab on the same time.
If you made your preset well, it should sound the best it can sound through whatever...
I really don't get the idea that you need a separate setup through your monitor headphones and your monitors....
But If you just want to jam though your headphones and you for some weird reason dislike your normal guitar tone through your headphones, make a separate preset for it.

Interesting. I've had nothing but great luck using a Marshall 1960B 4x12. My rig is the AxeFX into a Matrix 1000 then out to the 4x12. I've occasionally used two 4x12 cabs live and it always sounds fantastic. Part of the trick (for me) is to turn off all speaker emulation. Then simply run the AxeFX as if it was an amp head. Then just tweak the eq, etc until the desired tone is achieved. It's really not that complicated. My goto amp in the AxeFX has typically been the 5150 models but I've used the Friedman and Marshall models with good success. I use the JTM model for all my clean sounds.
Were I find the speak emulation?

I did all of that... Aside from the obvious (turning off the cabinet modeling), I even worked directly with Matrix, it still wasn't happening.

If you like it and it work for you, that's great. However, there are a lot of other options out there, and it makes a noticeable difference.

It can be the same signal chain.
For example:
Single amp block, connected to FX loop out and a cab block. FX loop out goes to a real amp and cab, cab block goes to front PA.
The IR is taken of that real cab.
The Speaker page is set up correctly for that real cab, therefore for the cab IR too.
Speaker compression (or anything else cab related) is off in the Amp block. Cab block has motor drive dialled in to compensate. Even though, this is not ideal and I wish you wouldn't have to do that, it's not that bad. This is the old way of doing it and it worked great for everyone until it became an amp block thing.
if you like the tone from the real cab, but not the PA, compensate with an EQ block, or the global EQ controls.

Headphone out, well...
You don't ever listen to a PA, the headphones and a cab on the same time.
If you made your preset well, it should sound the best it can sound through whatever...
I really don't get the idea that you need a separate setup through your monitor headphones and your monitors....
But If you just want to jam though your headphones and you for some weird reason dislike your normal guitar tone through your headphones, make a separate preset for it.

The part bolded is describing a setup with two separate signal chains and is what I was telling the guy to do. They don't have to be 100% discreet chains, but the moment you split it off with the fxloop it becomes two chains. I personally do this to record direct while running through a traditional cab to listen to. On the same preset I can monitor the recording tone through a xitone or through headphones and it all sounds pretty good, but is definitely optimized for the cab. I could instead optimize it for the direct/foh/frfr tone and let the cab be sub optimal, it's all up to preference.

I also agree that a good foh tone probably sounds pretty good through headphones too, but I'm also more inclined to throw on a reverb, enhancer, etc to get a better sound out of headphones... Stuff I might not do for a live tone.

And if, as I think the op was describing, your preset is only setup for a FOH tone, then there's a pretty good chance you're not going to like it through a cab because you don't have that second signal chain (the fxloop bypassing the cab block) to make a tone more generally appropriate for a traditional cab.

We're pretty much saying the same thing except you seem to be implying I'm wrong

Yes. I skimmed through the video but it looks like he's describing what we're talking about here and giving a bunch of different ways to achieve the specifics. Good find

Any one know how to setup a good sound on my cab. The issue about de separation of axe and cab using de fx results but when I play on my real cab the clean sound are good but the distortion are like shit. I ask if anyone got the same problem and how resolved?

Hi everybody.
Who help me with one question?
Any one knows how to take a good sound on my real cab?
Im using Fx loop block to separate the sound of my cab with the PA.
In the Pa the sound are almosto good but in my cab orange 4x10 with the Matrix GT1000 FX 1U. the cleans are good but the distortion are without personality...What the best to do to take a nice sound?
Thank you all.

Hi everybody.
Who help me with one question?
Any one knows how to take a good sound on my real cab?
Im using Fx loop block to separate the sound of my cab with the PA.
In the Pa the sound are almosto good but in my cab orange 4x10 with the Matrix GT1000 FX 1U. the cleans are good but the distortion are without personality...What the best to do to take a nice sound?
Thank you all.
Can you post a screenshot of your preset? I'd like to see how you have things laid out.

Back
Top Bottom