Axe-FX II XL or M2?

Chaz Kellie

Hi Fellow Fractal Users!

I am very new and raw with regards to the Fractal equipment; I'll be the first to say that I am very familiar with the Helix. As I get more knowledge about the different Axe-Fx's, I am trying to ascertain the differences between an XL an MII ? I am seriously considering purchasing one, but I'm not sure which one makes sense for me, if any of them. I do not play in a band - I just enjoy sitting in my home studio room and recording riffs/songs (amateur level) into Reaper. I don't need anything crazy or even overkill, for that matter... So, in your honest opinion, which device would be better, or would it make sense for with what I do on an amateur level to just stick with what I have. I greatly appreciate your honesty and advice.... Thanks!! Chaz

Hi Fellow Fractal Users!

I am very new and raw with regards to the Fractal equipment; I'll be the first to say that I am very familiar with the Helix. As I get more knowledge about the different Axe-Fx's, I am trying to ascertain the differences between an XL an MII ? I am seriously considering purchasing one, but I'm not sure which one makes sense for me, if any of them. I do not play in a band - I just enjoy sitting in my home studio room and recording riffs/songs (amateur level) into Reaper. I don't need anything crazy or even overkill, for that matter... So, in your honest opinion, which device would be better, or would it make sense for with what I do on an amateur level to just stick with what I have. I greatly appreciate your honesty and advice.... Thanks!! Chaz
The Axe-Fx II had several revisions: Original, Mark II, XL and XL+.

the Mark II added an ethercon jack for connection the MFC-101.

the XL/XL+ primarily added more Preset and IR storage/memory. the sound among all 4 is the same.

Last edited:
For your uses, there isn't a hugely overwhelming reason to get an XL+ or XL over a Mark II. The XL and XL+ will have a slightly lower noise floor than a Mark II. Plus the extra memory that Chris referred to.

I had a Mark II for a while before upgrading to the Axe Fx III. I never felt the need to move to an XL+. The Axe Fx III is a significant step up, but that's another question.

I would buy whatever makes financial sense to you. If you can find a cheap Mark II, go for it. If the XL or XL+ is about the same price, grab that instead.

Back
Top Bottom