AXE FX II XL into Return of MESA Mark V and 1X12 CAB thoughts

Lkdog

Power User
Just trying this as compared to my FRFR monitors (KRK Rokit 6).
The CAB I have is a semi open back 1X12 with a Celestion V30.

I have the MESA Mark V set at 45 watts with tube rectifier.
I did a few searches and added an FX Loop onto the preset and run a cable from the OUTPUT 2 to the MESA Return.

Overall sounds pretty good. Through the Mesa and 1X12 CAB it sounds a little brighter and a little thinner at same volume as the KRK monitors. I have the preset CAB off and the have been leaving the Amp SAG alone.

I know there are no right or wrong answers but would like a little fuller sound maybe when using the MESA.
Any general tips on setting this up for best sound?

If I understand correctly what you're saying, you're basically using the Axe FX's on-board amp sims BUT you're using the Mesa as the power amp..? Correct?

If so, as you said, there's no right or wrong. I actually still have a personal preference to doing it like this as well, only I'm using a EVH 5153 50w amp as the power amp, and it sounds awesome. This way, you're getting the characteristics of the Mesa's power amp. As far as adding a little more bottom end and mid-range, and removing some of the top end, I would start off by tweaking this at 'band' or rehearsal volume. Actually, that's a must. When you do do this, you should start off by backing off some of the highs on the amp sim and adjust to suit. That said, you can then increase the amp's depth/bass/bottom end etc etc. I usually use the BE100 amp as the 'go-to' amp as it sounds spot on.. to me anyway.

Hope this helps.

If I understand correctly what you're saying, you're basically using the Axe FX's on-board amp sims BUT you're using the Mesa as the power amp..? Correct?

If so, as you said, there's no right or wrong. I actually still have a personal preference to doing it like this as well, only I'm using a EVH 5153 50w amp as the power amp, and it sounds awesome. This way, you're getting the characteristics of the Mesa's power amp. As far as adding a little more bottom end and mid-range, and removing some of the top end, I would start off by tweaking this at 'band' or rehearsal volume. Actually, that's a must. When you do do this, you should start off by backing off some of the highs on the amp sim and adjust to suit. That said, you can then increase the amp's depth/bass/bottom end etc etc. I usually use the BE100 amp as the 'go-to' amp as it sounds spot on.. to me anyway.

Hope this helps.

Good ideas. I think one problem I am having is I am so used to the KRK 6 monitors and they are a bit bass heavy and I am finding out most think the Celestion V30's are a bit bright in midrange/upper mids. They are kind of different animals so maybe this all makes sense what I am hearing.

I will work at higher volume with the settings on the AXE presets to fill out the sound a bit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom