Axe FX II XL+ First day impressions

WOW. Just WOW. I just upgraded from a Digitech GSP1101 to an Axe FX II XL+, and the difference is like going from some flip flops that I got in 1998 to a brand new NASA interplanetary shuttle.

I have done my research, watched tons of YouTube videos on the Axe FX, and I have a solid grasp on how to program a modeling amp to do what I want it to do. MIDI is something I embrace. That said, this thing is a cakewalk to program. There are some things you can't do in Axe Edit, like PC-to-scene mapping, but it's simple to do it on the controls on the Axe FX itself. I absolutely LOVE that all the effect on/off CCs are pre-assigned. I set up my GCP in 4-patch mode, so that I have 4 scenes across the bottom 4 buttons on the GCP, and the 8 IA buttons assigned to different effects on the Axe FX. I have my band's entire set available on one patch. Holy crap this rules.

I got home with the Axe FX in the box at 5:30, and I was rocking out at band practice at 8. That time was spent unpacking the Axe FX, taking my old stuff out of the rack, installing the Axe FX, running new cables since this unit is bigger and deeper than the old one (giggity), creating a patch from scratch, assigning all my MIDI crap, picking up my drummer who lives 5 miles away, and programming my GCP to use the same CCs as the Axe FX.

What a massive upgrade. I am in love with playing guitar all over again.

raw

Also, since UPS only wanted to deliver my Axe FX while I was at work, I had to contact Fractal Customer Service to arrange for UPS to allow me to come to their customer service desk to pick up the package. Within an hour, Cliff had arranged this for me. Awesome product, awesome customer service. I am a fan.

Good on you Grog,
Welcome!
Did you get a chance to see what firmware the unit has? If it's not 7, grab the latest and install - you won't be sorry :)
The enthusiasm is infectious here.
Thanks
Pauly

WOW. Just WOW. I just upgraded from a Digitech GSP1101 to an Axe FX II XL+, and the difference is like going from some flip flops that I got in 1998 to a brand new NASA interplanetary shuttle.

I have done my research, watched tons of YouTube videos on the Axe FX, and I have a solid grasp on how to program a modeling amp to do what I want it to do. MIDI is something I embrace. That said, this thing is a cakewalk to program. There are some things you can't do in Axe Edit, like PC-to-scene mapping, but it's simple to do it on the controls on the Axe FX itself. I absolutely LOVE that all the effect on/off CCs are pre-assigned. I set up my GCP in 4-patch mode, so that I have 4 scenes across the bottom 4 buttons on the GCP, and the 8 IA buttons assigned to different effects on the Axe FX. I have my band's entire set available on one patch. Holy crap this rules.

I got home with the Axe FX in the box at 5:30, and I was rocking out at band practice at 8. That time was spent unpacking the Axe FX, taking my old stuff out of the rack, installing the Axe FX, running new cables since this unit is bigger and deeper than the old one (giggity), creating a patch from scratch, assigning all my MIDI crap, picking up my drummer who lives 5 miles away, and programming my GCP to use the same CCs as the Axe FX.

What a massive upgrade. I am in love with playing guitar all over again.

Not once did I ever doubt that I would love this thing.

Good on you Grog,
Welcome!
Did you get a chance to see what firmware the unit has? If it's not 7, grab the latest and install - you won't be sorry :)
The enthusiasm is infectious here.
Thanks
Pauly

I ran the Axe Edit updater and the firmware updater first thing, They're both current versions.

Same here, upgraded from line 6 gear to the XL+ and MFC 101 MK3. Also just got the EV-1 !!! when connecting the EV_! to MFC, as a volume pedal, will I be connecting my guitar to the pedal or still to the XL+ ?

I use two Moog expression pedals connected to the GC Pro. Plug the guitar into the Instrument Input jack on the front of the Axe FX. I think the MFC has expression pedal jacks. The EV-1 should connect there.

Now that I've spent some time creating a few patches and scenes in the Axe FX, I have to say, HOLY **** THIS THING IS AMAZING. The amp models are larger than life, and the clarity is unreal! Everything sounded better at band practice since my old Digitech box wasn't stinking the room up. I didn't have any make-it-or-break-it problems with that unit before, but there was always something crappy to the sound. With the Axe FX, the pick attack is so clear that I can tell the moment the pick touches a string, and I can tell the moment it leaves the string. The noise gate(s) are very responsive to my playing. The tones and details in the effects are 3D and super-real. The 4x12 cab I use at practice has a wider sweet spot. I can play quieter and hear myself better. The strings feel better when I play. The sound of the pickups comes through better. EMG 81s on my V now sound WAY different from Blackouts on my Ibanez, which sound different from the Sentient/Nazgul set on my other Ibanez.

The next thing I'm going to do set up more scenes. I'm using a Ground Control Pro in 4 preset mode, but I am going to try 10 preset mode with 8 scenes ready to go. I'm gonna see what I can do with 2 amps and XY states for rhythm, lead, solo, clean, etc. I want to get everything I need for this band into one preset.

This thing is DOPE.

Now that I've spent some time creating a few patches and scenes in the Axe FX, I have to say, HOLY **** THIS THING IS AMAZING. The amp models are larger than life, and the clarity is unreal! Everything sounded better at band practice since my old Digitech box wasn't stinking the room up. I didn't have any make-it-or-break-it problems with that unit before, but there was always something crappy to the sound. With the Axe FX, the pick attack is so clear that I can tell the moment the pick touches a string, and I can tell the moment it leaves the string. The noise gate(s) are very responsive to my playing. The tones and details in the effects are 3D and super-real. The 4x12 cab I use at practice has a wider sweet spot. I can play quieter and hear myself better. The strings feel better when I play. The sound of the pickups comes through better. EMG 81s on my V now sound WAY different from Blackouts on my Ibanez, which sound different from the Sentient/Nazgul set on my other Ibanez.

The next thing I'm going to do set up more scenes. I'm using a Ground Control Pro in 4 preset mode, but I am going to try 10 preset mode with 8 scenes ready to go. I'm gonna see what I can do with 2 amps and XY states for rhythm, lead, solo, clean, etc. I want to get everything I need for this band into one preset.

This thing is DOPE.
and dope it is...if I calculate the hours I spend with it, tweaking hours included :)...but that was the goal...i am a tweaker :).
out of interest : do you go FRFR all the way? since it was working out of the box I guess yes....

For my band I'm going through a solid state power amp into a Mesa 4x12. One day my band will all get IEMs and we'll go direct, but till that day, 4x12 cabs will be a necessity for live shows.

For studio work and practice, I'm going direct to my console, out to JBL LSR308 studio monitors

Both methods work great for me!

grog,

I'm going through a Matrix GT1000FX into a pair of Mesa 2x12 cabs. I only play at home right now, but every now and then I crank it up where it's shaking the walls...of the neighbors' house...and am awed. It's just friggin amazing. Have you altered the settings in the amp block's speaker settings? It was awesome even before I did that but even better afterwards.

And on using just one patch, I imagine you could do an entire career with one patch in the XL+ if you're building "your" tones, as opposed to trying to emulate a bunch of other artists' tones.

Back
Top Bottom