Axe-Fx II XL+ as Teleprompter

bwanagary

Administrator
Okay, it's kind of like using the Bugati Veyron for the sole purpose of transporting your sickly cat to the vetirinarian. But hear me out. I got roped into doing a Broadway musical for a month, in a space so confined that it could only be described as torture. No space for a music stand or anything else - like performing in a telephone booth without walls to hang stuff on. So, with 10 days notice I memorized the 20 new show tunes and perform them four times a week while still doing my "real job". This gig requires both acoustic and electric guitars (I have space for one guitar stand over my MFC-101 - "I" am the second guitar stand); electric plugs in the front and the acoustic plugs into FXL return. Presets are configured appropriately to have both guitars plugged in at all times. I use two capos - one for the electric and one for the acoustic. The show tunes aren't "Rock" tunes, exactly - not two verses, a chorus and a bridge. They're all over the place with key changes and time signature changes. And capo changes within the songs.

Enter the Axe-Fx II XL+ LCD display. Thanks, Cliff, for the "+" in "XL+". I have the XL+ strapped to the side of one of the sets where I can barely see it but even at that terrible angle I can read it well enough. And I can fit enough characters into the Preset Name to prompt me which guitar, key and capo position to start the song with. So "Use2be-Ac-Capo3-Eb-Fing" will kick the song off correctly. I know that this means the tune is called "Used To Be", I use the acoustic guitar, put the Capo on 3rd fret, it's in Eb and I finger-pick (as opposed to "Pick" for using a pick). That's enough of a prompt to get me through 20 songs without a screw-up.

Long way to go to get there I know. But the Axe-Fx II XL+ is functioning as a somewhat limited teleprompter. Having reflected on this predicament for a week or two (in my "spare time" - lol) It occurs to me that there is a market opportunity here. If there's anything already out there anyone knows about please let me know. Here's my thought - if it's useful to me it'll be useful to others:
  • Make a "mic stand" that has a totally flat and fairly thin "base", so that it will fit under the MFC-101. The MFC-101 is heavy enough that when combined with the mic stand's base it will be stable.
  • Buy an iPAD clip so it can be mounted onto the mic-stand
  • Buy or write some MIDI-controlled software for an iPAD - this software, controlled by the MFC-101, can "teleprompt" anything you want it to, including scroll the music score, lyrics, notes, Set lists - whatever
Now that would be cool. Is it just me, or would anyone else shell out money for such a setup?
-G

I had a conference gig once where I had to learn about 40 tunes (they weren't all used but the band would pick from the list).

I used Mainstage on a small Mac laptop with a set list that matched my Fx unit (which at the time was an M13 but this could be applied to the Axe-Fx/MFC). I had it set so that MIDI PC messages were both directions - selecting something in Mainstage changed my preset, and selecting something on my foot controller changed the current patch in Mainstage.

For each Mainstage patch, I had a text box with info very similar to what you did - song title, key, tempo (even though it was programmed in, I wanted a reference), guitar used, and sometimes even a starting note.

I'm thinking that this could have been accomplished on an iPad with an app like Set List Maker.

For your stand idea, you could use a K&M table stand and attach a sturdy gooseneck and iPad clip. http://www.k-m.de/us/mobile/mobile/overview/lpd/1287

I had a conference gig once where I had to learn about 40 tunes (they weren't all used but the band would pick from the list).

I used Mainstage on a small Mac laptop with a set list that matched my Fx unit (which at the time was an M13 but this could be applied to the Axe-Fx/MFC). I had it set so that MIDI PC messages were both directions - selecting something in Mainstage changed my preset, and selecting something on my foot controller changed the current patch in Mainstage.

For each Mainstage patch, I had a text box with info very similar to what you did - song title, key, tempo (even though it was programmed in, I wanted a reference), guitar used, and sometimes even a starting note.

I'm thinking that this could have been accomplished on an iPad with an app like Set List Maker.

For your stand idea, you could use a K&M table stand and attach a sturdy gooseneck and iPad clip. http://www.k-m.de/us/mobile/mobile/overview/lpd/1287
Thanks philipacamaniac thats great information. K&M has a fantastic stand selection - a cursory search didn't turn up what I'm looking for but I'll spend some more time browsing their catalog and see if they have something. I'll also check into Set List Maker and Mainstage you suggested. Again, thanks a ton!

Here's my thought - if it's useful to me it'll be useful to others:
  • Make a "mic stand" that has a totally flat and fairly thin "base", so that it will fit under the MFC-101. The MFC-101 is heavy enough that when combined with the mic stand's base it will be stable.
  • Buy an iPAD clip so it can be mounted onto the mic-stand
  • Buy or write some MIDI-controlled software for an iPAD - this software, controlled by the MFC-101, can "teleprompt" anything you want it to, including scroll the music score, lyrics, notes, Set lists - whatever
In one word - OnSong.
IPad only - no android version. Great for tabs. Can send midi commands when songs are changed (swipe of screen) which could be used to change Axe presets. Supports notes, tempo, etc. So keys, capo etc all all displayed.
Support set lists, import, export of tabs, mp3's and so on. In app purchases available for a variety of options... I'm not sure whether the midi features are an add-in.. but I think so.. EXCELLENT app..
There are plenty of others out there, but for $20.. you can't beat it!
Stick the iPad on a mic stand mount... you are good to go.

Onsong also has the ability to send tabs/lyrics to remote screens, and foot pedal control.

Thanks philipacamaniac thats great information. K&M has a fantastic stand selection - a cursory search didn't turn up what I'm looking for but I'll spend some more time browsing their catalog and see if they have something. I'll also check into Set List Maker and Mainstage you suggested. Again, thanks a ton!
I just looked at Set List Maker and it would be perfect for me in this situation. And it's dirt cheap too. Thanks for a great tip!

Another great tip! OnSong looks great also. I found a video on YouTube and I'm pretty sure its a young Misha Mansoor using OnSong with his Axe-Fx. ;-)

Check around the 1:00 minute mark ...

I use forscore with a bluetooth remote page turner for the same purpose. The pedal (Airturn Ped) is very slim and works very reliably. You can record performances and pages can also turn automatically.
Fun story Gary!

Thanks Patrick! I checked it out too, and I stand corrected - forscore is cheaper than dirt at just $4.99. But it doesn't appear to do the MIDI I/O. OnSong is around $40 with the MIDI extensions. I think that the Set List Maker was around $12.99. Either way, they're all great apps and any one of them will be infinitely better than the situation I'm in now using a $2,500 and 25-character backlit LCD display :) teleprompter (actually, I don't know it the Preset Name on the Axe-Fx is 25 characters or not - but you get the point).

OnSong is around $40 with the MIDI extensions.
OnSong is $19.99 + $4.99 for the MIDI add-on (at least that's the price that pops up in my add-in purchases window).
Here's what my version shows for add-on pricing.
Acoustic Gtr soundbank - $0.99
Bass Gtr soundbank - $0.99
Drawing Tool - $2.99
MIDI integration - $4.99
Piano Soundbank - $0.99
Scenes - $9.99
Console - $??? (idk, I already bought it, so it doesn't show)

If you bought EVERYTHING they offer (scenes/MIDI is cool, butI don't use it), then yeah $40 is about right.. :)
Still the most feature-full app out there...

Full disclosure: OnSong USER, nothing more.

"assuming" you have an iPad, you can get an iPad mic stand mount for $25 (or more), and you are all set. The REALLY nice feature with OnSong is you can set the tab display (even when using auto-scroll) to backlight - DARK background, LIGHT text. This applies to OnSong and .chordpro formats, not import .dox, .docx or pdf formats. Would be great for your situation.

Thanks guys - you're all great with the detail and experiences. The career musicians I'm playing with at this gig are all much smarter than me evidently because they already have iPADs for reading the score, including the drummer. It is humbling to perform with such professionals and such super people and were it not for their class and generosity it would be borderline humiliating. I'm in the process of buying a new house so the iPAD has to wait until I've closed on that deal. (Unless of course I get a huge raise at work :)) I have thoroughly enjoyed this gig - quite a change from the smoky club, balls-out rock 'n roll and hauling a truck-full of gear to do it. I plan to do more of these so I'll definitely get the iPAD and $40 for OnSong functionality is the same a free. What a great value.
Thanks again!

I took a pic last night of the space :). Behind me is an 18" space where cast members rush between the stage and the dressing room all night long so I can't use that. Before the show started I backed up into that space to take this picture. You can see how the keyboards actually encroach onto the stage! And when the lights go down for the show, "them thar lahts are mahty fierce" (producer protesting the brightness of the MFC-101 LEDs) so I turned nearly all of them off.

Another funny anecdote from the show is that the house has a massive air-conditioning system as you'd expect in Florida, but the band is right under one of the vents. As soon as the house is seated the air kicks into high gear blasting freezing cold air onto us. So as the night progresses and the temperature plummets my electric (MM JP6) gets sharper and sharper and I'm constantly tuning it (hence the MFC-101 on the floor and not the MIDI Mouse). The acoustic (Martin something-or-other) also sharpens tuning but the neck bends so far back that strings begin to buzz.

I think I'm going to move this thread to the lounge because it's not strictly Axe-Fx II any more ;)
GuitaristSpacePhoto.jpg GuitaristSpacePhoto.jpg

Wow that is tight! looks like the key's player could clean up space a little under ya'lls feet. I have a plate on my mfc boerd that the mic stand screws into, so my mfc is the stand base, this helps on tight stages. this picture was from at home so no mic stand threaded in but you can see the gray base.

Wow that is tight! looks like the key's player could clean up space a little under ya'lls feet. I have a plate on my mfc boerd that the mic stand screws into, so my mfc is the stand base, this helps on tight stages. this picture was from at home so no mic stand threaded in but you can see the gray base.
Hey! That plate is exactly what I'm looking for! Where'd you get that? Please? :)

my local hardware store. It is it is an electrical box plate for mounting outside flood lights. the threads are coarse, so I made a stand that the first section is steel pipe, and had the top end threaded so a boom would thread onto it.

my local hardware store. It is it is an electrical box plate for mounting outside flood lights. the threads are coarse, so I made a stand that the first section is steel pipe, and had the top end threaded so a boom would thread onto it.
Okay. I see that now. I don't suppose its the same thread that is on the bottom of a mic stand. I can take one down to Ace Hardware and try it though. Thanks.

unless you have an odd mic stand, the thread is much different. I purchased a length of pipe that fit the base and had mic stand threads put on the top of it, the length is fixed but with a boom on it I use the boom to make the height adjustments. you could also possibly have the pipe threads put on the bottom of a standard mic stand. I see you are in Orlando, if you would like to do this and cant find some one to thread the pipe for you send me a pm with a length and I will hook you up!

unless you have an odd mic stand, the thread is much different. I purchased a length of pipe that fit the base and had mic stand threads put on the top of it, the length is fixed but with a boom on it I use the boom to make the height adjustments. you could also possibly have the pipe threads put on the bottom of a standard mic stand. I see you are in Orlando, if you would like to do this and cant find some one to thread the pipe for you send me a pm with a length and I will hook you up!
Thanks. I found this base at Broadcast Supply Worldwide for about $10.
http://www.bswusa.com/Misc-Accessories-Atlas-Sound-AD11BE-P812.aspx?gclid=CNWtldvG98oCFdgQgQodyqQIww

And I found this post elsewhere from Andrew Broughton:
5/8 - 27TPI top (USA, Europe uses a coarser smaller thread)
7/8 - 27TPI bottom (for atlas-style bases)

Cool. Now I have a way forward.

Okay. I see that now. I don't suppose its the same thread that is on the bottom of a mic stand. I can take one down to Ace Hardware and try it though. Thanks.

I think you could make a short coupler between the plate and the mic stand that is threaded for each one properly, so you can keep your whole mic stand

Back
Top Bottom