Axe FX II, wsill it be obselete?

Likewise, I don't think Fractal really operates their business based around what L6 is doing.

OMG, I think Cliff, M@-man and FAS are more in touch with reality than that... They may have started off in a niche market, but now their technology is becoming more mainstream which is awesome. Line 6, Avid and Kemper will continue to develop products as fast followers, not as digital, instrumental, and sonic pioneers like FAS.

In the term of sound, What kind of sound of axefxIII would be like, 3DSP , 4 or even 5 DSP , cmon lets plug your guitar , play and enjoy our insane axefxII

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I predict Axe 3 will be out in Oct/Nov in time to spark Xmas sales and compete with the new Line 6 Helix. Mark my words, Axe 3 will be here before the end of this year. Yes Cliff said he hadn't begun working on it, but now Line 6 has something that is probably comparable to Axe 2 at only $1,500... time for Cliff to raise the bar again... Axe 3 by end of year, mark my words yall.

While I don't doubt Fractal will push new hardware eventually, they are hardly reactionary. I just don't see them rushing some half assed product out because of competition from Line 6; they're the market leader, so, I expect they'll release a new paradigm shifting product when:

1. They need a new base hardware architecture because the existing one is not sufficient to realize their current vision/algorithms (this very clearly happened on gen1, 2 still feels like it is going strong).
2. They have had time to DO IT RIGHT (Cliff Quote: I don't design things to be cheap, I design them to sound good). I assume even with the precedent of the I+II to work from doing a new unit with a new DSP/architecture would be very non-trivial and it is CLEAR from Cliff's comments that DSP technology is a gating factor here.

Neither of these things seems to be in place for a Christmas time frame. They'd look like morons if they pushed some buggy thing out the door in a few months. Sure, the L6 Helix looks sexy and very well may end up being a fantastic product (in fact it is the product I always wanted to see them take a stab at) but it will be in very rarefied air if it can hang with the AX8, much less a full blown IIXL+. I'd fully expect it to use lower powered DSPs and to not benefit from the deep, proprietary knowledge built into the AFX2, so rushing something out to compete with it before it even hits the market would be more damaging to Fractal's rep than anything.

To the OP:
Tone is tone. The AFXII brings it. If you want internet bragging rights, yes, wait for something newer because there will always be something in the pipe. Or better yet, IMHO, go buy something vintage. But really, if you just want to make music... this unit is literally so good it can be the end of your gear search regardless of what comes after.

Last edited:
To the OP:
Tone is tone. The AFXII brings it. If you want internet bragging rights, yes, wait for something newer because there will always be something in the pipe. Or better yet, IMHO, go buy something vintage. But really, if you just want to make music... this unit is literally so good it can be the end of your gear search regardless of what comes after.

AMEN!

It is another story, but once you're familiar with the flexibility that the Axe-FX II Original (even) gives you with the incredibly accurate modeling, you'll sell your gear.

I understand that an ElevenRack is more entry level and Avid did a great job at making that product. However, they aren't nearly as accurate of models and referencing of real amps in addition to having to pay for upgrades if there are upgrades to be made. If you invest in the Axe-FX and an MFC, you have the full gamut of tonal/sonic possibilities even if it's an "older" model.

I won't lie, I will be buying the AX8 when it comes out but that's only because of the compact size it offers. It may or may not have the full range of possibilities as the Axe-FX II [any], but I'm willing to compromise for some of the key components it will be offering. Honestly, it comes down to what you're needs and wants are. The Axe-FX works superb for me for AMP and CAB modeling with ambient presets for my church gigs as well as classic rock tunes. Hope this helps mate, I would go for it and load FW 18.12 then use your Atomic.

You can thank me in about 3 months (let it sink in ;) ).

I'm also considering waiting for the AX8. That's why I tried the Amplifire, to have everything contained on a pedalboard. Carrying only a pedalboard and guitar to a gig would be killer. Thanks for the input.

I read somewhere that the XL "still" has oodle's and gob's of memory left for future upgrades. The axe 3 may be on a drawing board but I doubt it's due out this year and maybe as far out as 2 or more.... Why? Because the XL+ is very very cutting edge now...

While you're waiting, you're missing hours/days/weeks of enjoyment playing on this unit. It will likely always sound better than I can play. Obsolete is relative. I have a Super Reverb built the year the Beatles came over from England. Still sounds awesome.

The Axe Fx II XL+ is and will be the flagship of Fractal Audio Systems for years to come.

Some people just have too much G.A.S.

I had the Axe II and then received the 11R in a pro tools bundle. So, for a minute, I had both.

I GAVE my 11R away, literally, to a friend, a week later.

There is a reason the 11R costs what it does, and the Axe costs what it does.

If you are looking at an Axe II for "1500 ish", you better grab it. You will throw away the 11R when you hear the Axe.

Check the news and announcements. The Axe-Fx III just released!!!

Axe-FX-III2_zpsbe253605.jpg

;)
FAIL... no slide out color touch screen interface!

Day -0 Buyer here man, I'll take 2 hahaha:) If I was to guess, i'd say 2 more years and we will have an Axe III..

I still think we will have axe 3 by xmas.

But I am wondering what FW 21 will bring to the table? The FAS will be of age... old enough to drink at that point! 21 is a milestone... so I am expecting Cliff to bring something BIG to the party on that day!

I already own an 11r and an Atomic Amplifire, I love them both but am thinking of expanding the arsenal. There is a guy in my area selling an AxeFX II for a pretty decent price, my question is, will this end up the way of the standard and ultra? I realize you can't use XL patches on the II but I'm more concerned about future support and updates. I don't want to buy it if there is going to be an AxeFX III XL-plus in a year.

Thanks.

Short answer... yes, but it will sound just as good as it does today as it will 10 years from now. The Standard and Ultra are mature products and still command a pretty good price, $800-1,200 and a lot of those units are close to 8 years old now. Even though there are no more updates for these units they still sound really good in fact better than the eleven rack you have now.

You need to think of it in different terms, there are plenty of tools out there in the music world and a lot of them are not supported nor made any longer and they are still used to this day. The TC 2290 delay comes to mind there are a lot of pro musicians that still have this loaded into their rack.

Don't worry about not being able to use XL presets or if it won't be supported any longer, The Axe II will serve you well if you can pick one up for a good deal then do it and thank me later. Remember FAS is the top of the pile in the modeling world and probably going to be for quite a while.

Me too, I will probably have enough money to buy the XL Plus by the end of JULY, but if Axe 3 comes out a few months after that this year I will sell it and buy Axe 3.

It's best to sell off your Axe flagship as soon as the next best Fractal model comes out so you don't lose as much resale value. The longer you wait to sell your Fractal gear the less money you will get back on it.

So in theory, if I bought a Axe 2 xl plus today, and Axe 3 came out the very next day, I'd sell the axe 2 immediately so I'd lose the least amount of money.

That's my strategy anyways.

I kinda doubt an Axe-Fx III comes out this year. You never know, but I think it's unlikely.....

...will this end up the way of the standard and ultra?
I have an XL that I got for studio use but I use my early Ultra for playing live by choice. It hit firmware 11, it's done, I don't check daily for updates and it still sounds stellar. Had a decade to perfect the 1 or 2 dozen presets I use live and stumbled on to some 3rd party gear that makes this unit rival any box out there.

If I were you I would have no fear. If you look at what's coming next you will drive yourself (and your wallet) crazy. You have to look at what you're replacing.

just because something new comes out does mean something is obsolete. as long as you can still plug your axe fx standard ultra or what ever in a wall socket and a stereo it will sound just as good as it does today! thats why you want one right? I still use my iPhone 1 every day works great.

I already own an 11r and an Atomic Amplifire, I love them both but am thinking of expanding the arsenal. There is a guy in my area selling an AxeFX II for a pretty decent price, my question is, will this end up the way of the standard and ultra? I realize you can't use XL patches on the II but I'm more concerned about future support and updates. I don't want to buy it if there is going to be an AxeFX III XL-plus in a year.

Thanks.

If it's an Axe-Fx II Mark I it may have an issue with Output 2 causing hiss when used for 4CM. FAS will usually fix it for free if you pay shipping both ways. The Output 2 hiss issue is fixed in all other models.

I don't think an Axe-Fx III will be released anytime soon bc FAS has had stock and manufacturing issues for a while, so I don't think they will be releasing something that big until the issues are resolved.

FAS gear keeps it's value. I recently sold my MFC-101 Mark I for $50 less than what I bought it for new and that includes the shipping and it sold fast. I even had people contact me asking if I had an Axe-Fx II Mark I or II to sell along with my MFC-101 Mark I bc someone in their band has an Axe-Fx II Mark I or II and they don't want to get an XL bc their presets wouldn't be compatible, so in some cases the Mark I and II are more valuable.

Without a higher powered TigerSHARC processor release an AFX3 would require a total architecture overhaul like MoJiggity suggests.

I'm crossing my fingers for something more scalable like the UAD DSP architecture. That would future proof any purchase as you could just add more units if you needed more DSP.

Back
Top Bottom