Axe-Fx II won't turn on

warped

I powered my Axe-Fx II on yesterday, it powered on for a few seconds then switched off and wouldn't switch on again. Disconnected everything, changed power outlets/power chords tried again still wouldn't switch on.

Tried again a few hours later and it powered on then switched off again. I tried again this morning and it wouldn't power on at all.

The last time I used it I had a ground issue with my guitar (total short - no sound) - could this have had any effect or done any damage?

I took the top off - the fuse 'looks' fine (no brown glass or broken wire). The unit has been fine since I bought it new many years ago (besides the fact I burnt out the MFC port not long after I got it). Always kept in a rack in my studio room and never banged around.

(apologies if this isn't the place to post this - the 'Bugs' sections explicitly states it's not for this type of thing)

I'm in Australia to - initial Fractal response was to send it back to Fractal US. I'll check out Aus distributor
Thanks guys

Sounds like a power supply gone bad.If you contact support they can probably just send or recommend a replacement PSU and any decently skilled tech could swap them out.The fact that it started happening all at once and then started working intermittently sounds like a possible broken lead or cold solder joint.

No - I only disconnected the fan when I took the top cover off. The behaviour did seem like something a dodgy cable connection could cause. Any specific cable you think could be a culprit? The unit hasn't moved off my desk so nothing should have dislodged from transport/movement/etc.

Australian distributor wants me to post to their repair place (which could get expensive pretty quickly)..

I feel ya. Just sent my unit back to FAS for the second time for what sounds like the same issue. I'm sorry I don't have any wisdom to share with you, but I hope you get it sorted out.

I feel ya. Just sent my unit back to FAS for the second time for what sounds like the same issue. I'm sorry I don't have any wisdom to share with you, but I hope you get it sorted out.

No - I only disconnected the fan when I took the top cover off. The behaviour did seem like something a dodgy cable connection could cause. Any specific cable you think could be a culprit? The unit hasn't moved off my desk so nothing should have dislodged from transport/movement/etc.

Australian distributor wants me to post to their repair place (which could get expensive pretty quickly)..

Sorry to hear that. Being so far away from Fractal surely doesn't help. I'd suggest to re-open the box and check for any soldering / cable issues. BTW, where is the aussie repair place?

Sorry to hear that. Being so far away from Fractal surely doesn't help. I'd suggest to re-open the box and check for any soldering / cable issues. BTW, where is the aussie repair place?

I contacted Independent Music who were pretty quick to respond. It sounded like they use Totally Technical as their repair go-to http://www.totallytechnical.com.au/ who I'm waiting to hear back from.

I'll have another look inside it tonight - might try to take the fuse out and have a look.

I just returned a call to support. Previously they had replaced the power switch, but from my understanding the new switch had different sized spade connectors and they had come loose. Hope that helps.

When my PSU died, i simply contacted g66 here in europe, and they sent me a new one over night and a short video on how to replace it. Took about 3 minutes to to the replacement, and worked like a charm (until we realized, that the PSU wasn't the culprit that is).

Spoke to Australian Repair centre - advised that it is most likely failed Power Supply. $110 replacement part. But by the time I post it to them and they add labour it'll cost about $300 (and only ship the part out to authorised/licensed electronics repair guys - will see if I can find one).

Back
Top Bottom