Axe-Fx II with Torpedo CAB?

I've got Torpedo Live and have used it with the Axe 2 with really good results. Some amps I haven't had much luck with in finding tones I like with the stock cabs (SLO,FAS MDN) have been matched up really well in the Torpedo-and very quickly too. I haven't been a fan of greenback cabs before I got the torpedo-but now their my favorite.

Oh, and this is using the torpedo's power amp Sims, not the Axes.
Intersting ! I personaly never use power amp sim on Axe II even in FRFR (i build my own IR) because i think it sound better / more réalistic like my real heads amp / 4*12 cab .

Last edited:
Any difference between torpedo IR's and axe's?
I'm not sure of the differences but it's easier for me to find a sound I like because of the interface. For those not familiar,you can manipulate the virtual mic like you can in Amplitube. Cabs I would have given up on in the stock IRs are usable in the Torpedo, it's a great product.

I have thought of buying a Torpedo too..... really tempting as I miss mic placement and stuff like that in the Axe. I feel like we are still missing half of the fun as placing the mic in the right spot on the speaker can make a day and night difference.

I`d love to try some Torpedo gear with the axe! Anybody out there got an IR of a Palmer Speaker Simulator?

I've tried running a Skrydstrup SD50 into a Palmer PDI-03 and then into my Axe II.
Last I tried this was on FW 9.02. I played and recorded with the Palmers speaker sim in the various settings and then I used the line out of the Palmer without the speaker sim and used a few of the stock Axe cab sim and a few of the OwnHammer IR's instead.
The Axe cab sims/IR's and the OH IR's both destroyed the Palmer speaker simulator completely - huge difference, so much so that I returned the Palmer.
I have tried looking for the recordings so I could post them for you to hear the difference, but I can't find them.

I have thought of buying a Torpedo too..... really tempting as I miss mic placement and stuff like that in the Axe. I feel like we are still missing half of the fun as placing the mic in the right spot on the speaker can make a day and night difference.

I'm interested in the Torpedo Live as well but more because it'll let me use my remaining tube amps in other scenarios than I can now.
Regarding mic placement, you can get the options one could ask for by buying the OwnHammer v2 cabs - plenty of choice of mic placement, mixing different mics and speakers there.

Any difference between torpedo IR's and axe's?

Yes, there are two differences to me.

The overload parameter, reacting to the input level. When dialed in properly it sounds more alive and detailed than normal IRs. They're also more spacious, less centered than normal IRs, pretty much like the kemper. Hard panned multitracks really sound hard panned. But I guess the room simulator of the afx2 already fixes that. The overload isn't available on the C.A.B.

Here's an example, first are two note cabs, then a static IR modded via BlendIR (a new two notes free software), then the unmodded IR.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am doing this with AXE FX II and Torpedo C.A.B somewhat recently. I am still playing with a few things. When I am done an engineering diagram will be created.

Back drop: one day I took my ADA cab sim pedal, and used it with “AXE cab sim off.” I couldn’t believe how good it sounded, how noise free it was, removed that hint of digital sound, and finally sounded good with any amp model. I couldn’t replicate that with AXE FX btw.

Now about my new set up...
I have presets that simultaneously create sound thru Axe FX cabs to 5” Studio Spkr, Torpedo C.A.B to 10” FOH setup, and a MESA 50/50 + slanted MESA recto 4x12. I am able to set those at playing levels, control the volume of each independently. I can mix them or listen to them individually. Switching done through Axe scene or muting inputs of Focusrite.

I use Focusrite 6i to control the mix to the studio and FOH speakers.

I generally leave both axe fx vol 1&2 at 25%.

The Axe FX output 1 & 2 are both fed into focusrite in stereo inputs

However, I “split” axe fx out 2 (Axe fx send) to MESA 50/50 and Focusrite. I use vol 2 on Axe to control Mesa 4x12 volume, and Focurite to control volume level going into Torpedo. In short, the was a need to independently control out 2 volume for the real amp and Torpedo. The input level needs were vastly different and I wanted axe fx loop block to have a constant level setting.

I turn off axe fx “amp SAG” in the amp block that is running my FX loop block, which sends out to Focusrite/Torpedo and Mesa amp/Cab setup. The other amp block is normal and powers cab block, which goes to Axe FX out 1. It awesome to do A|B testing with all three. Mixed together properly in the room gets a really big sound, but at room levels. I can also crank up the live sound by turning up axe vol 2, which thunderously shakes the house — a case where I mute Torpedo and and Axe fx out 1.

I can record completely dry with SPDIF using guitar input for digital signal. That is for reamping scenarios. Other ways to do that of course.

I don’t use the usb cable into pc from AXE FX —it’s noisy— I do use Torpedo and Focusrite. I use axe edit, but with midi in Focusrite. I disable axefx speaker and use Focusrite.

MIDI controls everything of course in terms of presets.
Someone try this ? Better or not with power amp / cab simul "off " on the Axe Fx ...?

So I played with this more of the last fees days and I love it. I have 4 input channels in my focusrite 6i6 and three distinct sounds. ADA cabinet simulation in 3, Torpedo cab simulation in 4 and of course the normal AXE FX II stereo input in 1&2. I find the ADA one to be the most consistent across all presets. Torpedo Greenbacks are awesome. I have Onhammer IRs as well, which I am testing in AXE FX and Torpedo.

I was able to create the heaviest sound with AXE FX Power Amp off, Toperdo Power Amp on w/ EL34, Torpedo CAB off into ADA cab simulator back into Focusrite in 4.

I have a question about using the fx8 with a Torpedo C.A.B. amp/speaker cab sim.
I have the midi out on the fx8 to the midi in on the Torpedo CAB.
I wish to assign a footswitch to midi on the fx8, and wonder if it is possible to set up being able
to select 2 presets on the torpedo CAB that I can alternate using with the fx8?
I wanted to use preset S003 - Clean Vibro 30, and
preset S004 - Dirt 1 JubilGreen.

I set in the midi 1, 2 (offset 1 for preset 003)
and actually set the presets in the scene info. that way the correct amp/cab preset
comes up for the specific scene.
I did this for the 3 patches that I will be using.
fx8 can control the Torpedo CABand various amp/cab for each scene... pretty awesome

Last edited:
Hi, I have a question that I hope you can help me. I am thinking of buying Torpedo CabM, because I see that they speak very well about it everywhere.
I would like to know if someone can tell me how it works, that is, does it connect to the AXE-FX 2 directly?
When connected to the AXE-FX, how do you set it to put the required position in the effect chain? For example if I want to put the Torpedo Cab just behind the one amp- (from axe-fx) or behind or in front of some effect after the amp ...
I don't know how it works, can I choose any amp from the AXE-FX and a Torpedo cab, or should I disconnect the amp simulation in the AXE and choose an amp in Torpedo?
Can anyone tell me how to connect and the steps to follow? well I am very denied for those configurations

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom