Axe FX II with an external audio interface

Tom1383

I've just got my very first Axe FX II, and I try to set it up for recording, reamping, etc.

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 external audio interface. After reading through many topics here, I can see a bit clearer, but I'm still not sure about the setup options.

My questions are the following:

1) I'd like to use my headphones for simultaneously listening to the Axe sound AND listening to the PC sound (e.g. the other tracks of the DAW, or for jamming over a YouTube backing track with the Axe, etc.) What are the options for that, both with and without an external audio interface?

2) If I would use the Scarlett 2i4 as the sound card, then does it mean that the sound quality from the Axe will become worse because of the extra set of conversions? (I mean the A/D and D/A conversions in the Scarlett audio interface, I'm not an expert in this field.)

3) If the answer of question 2) is no, i.e. the sound quality remains high when the Axe signal runs through the Scarlett, then what kind of cable(s) shall I use for connecting the Axe to the Scarlett 2i4? (While maintaining the lowest possible latency and the lowest possible noise.)

4) I know that the Axe records at 48k instead of 44.1k, when recording directly with it, via USB. But if the Axe signal goes through the Scarlett, is the signal converted to 44.1k?

5) When using the Axe-->Scarlett-->PC route, can I still record both the wet and the dry signals of the Axe? Or is it only possible through the direct USB method?

and finally

6) When using the Axe-->Scarlett-->PC route, can I still reamp with the Axe?

Thanks a lot in advance for these answers. I'm very excited to finally have an Axe, and looking forward to start recording with it.

1: You should be able to hear Windows audio in addition to audio from your DAW.

2: Some people believe there's at least some (however slight) degradation in audio quality, however I use the input jacks on my soundcard and can't distinguish any difference in quality between the two.

3: To connect the Axe to the Scarlett, you'll need two XLR (male) to 1/4" audio cables. The XLR end goes into the Scarlett's XLR input jacks and the 1/4" end fits into the Axe output jacks.

4: This will depend on the sampling rate you choose to record at in your DAW.

3: To connect the Axe to the Scarlett, you'll need two XLR (male) to 1/4" audio cables. The XLR end goes into the Scarlett's XLR input jacks and the 1/4" end fits into the Axe output jacks.
the axe has XLR outputs. a standard XLR cable can be used as well. or you can use regular 1/4" instrument cables too. there should be no difference in quality.

I know that the Axe records at 48k instead of 44.1k, when recording directly with it, via USB. But if the Axe signal goes through the Scarlett, is the signal converted to 44.1k?

Not quite sure what you mean by this, the 48k and 44.1 refer to the sample rate of the digital signal. If you are plugging into the Scarlett you are using analogue audio, so
AxeFX(48k Digital)- converted to analog -> cable -> analogue converted to digital (44.1 Scarlett)
It's worth noting the Scarlett can be set to 48k anyway.

If you are worried about loss in quality with the A/D D/A conversions, why not use the Axe FX as your DAW interface when you are recording guitar. You can then re-amp in the digital domain too.

As is often the case there are a number of ways to do all this, you just have to find which best fits your workflow and pleases your ears.

the axe has XLR outputs. a standard XLR cable can be used as well. or you can use regular 1/4" instrument cables too. there should be no difference in quality.

I use a pair of XLR to 1/4" cables though XLR cables would work just as well. That said, the two inputs on the 2i4 will only accept XLR.

Thanks so much for the helpful answers guys.
If one of you has a personal experience with the questions 5) and 6) (dry signal recording and reamping with the Axe using a separate audio interface), then I'd be very thankful for the suggestions.

...and btw, I'm truly impressed by the high level of kind and helpful approach here on the forum! I'm an Axe newbie, and your suggestions are helping me a lot. Thanks! :)

Thanks so much for the helpful answers guys.
If one of you has a personal experience with the questions 5) and 6) (dry signal recording and reamping with the Axe using a separate audio interface), then I'd be very thankful for the suggestions.
I have lots of experience of re-amping with the Axe FX and an external soundcard, but unfortunately I used SPDIF for this not analogue, however the theory is the same.
Also the easiest way to record clean track at the same time is to go into the I/O menu and find the 'OUTPUT 2 ECHO' setting in the 'AUDIO' tab. Change this to 'INPUT 1' and run a lead from 'OUTPUT 2' to your RIGHT input of the Scarlett. Obviously 'OUTPUT 1' will go to the Scarlett 'LEFT' input.
I will be doing a video on re-amping on my website in a few weeks, I'll try and get to at soon as I can.

I have lots of experience of re-amping with the Axe FX and an external soundcard, but unfortunately I used SPDIF for this not analogue, however the theory is the same.
Also the easiest way to record clean track at the same time is to go into the I/O menu and find the 'OUTPUT 2 ECHO' setting in the 'AUDIO' tab. Change this to 'INPUT 1' and run a lead from 'OUTPUT 2' to your RIGHT input of the Scarlett. Obviously 'OUTPUT 1' will go to the Scarlett 'LEFT' input.
I will be doing a video on re-amping on my website in a few weeks, I'll try and get to at soon as I can.

Awesome, this helps a lot, thank you!

I have the Axe connected thru every kind of option. I have it connected by usb to the pc. I also have it connected to my focusrite Saffire pro both analog in/out (xlr cables) and spdif in/out.
I never use the usb easy to record though, can't hear any difference in quality.
I use the focusrite as sound device in the pc and record wet track by analog and dry track for reamping thru spdif.
If i choose USB as sound device i have to turn on the Axe just to listen to music in the pc. Monitors connected to focusrite and headphones the same.

I have the Axe connected thru every kind of option. I have it connected by usb to the pc. I also have it connected to my focusrite Saffire pro both analog in/out (xlr cables) and spdif in/out.
I never use the usb easy to record though, can't hear any difference in quality.
I use the focusrite as sound device in the pc and record wet track by analog and dry track for reamping thru spdif.
If i choose USB as sound device i have to turn on the Axe just to listen to music in the pc. Monitors connected to focusrite and headphones the same.

Yes, after reading the answers, I gravitate towards this "all-in" solution, using direct USB connection and a separate audio interface too. And according to the current task, I can easily switch back and forth, while using the Focusrite most of the time.

(Interestingly, I've just tried out the Axe as a sound card today, and listened to a YouTube video through the Axe. The actual patch of the Axe has changed the video sound. Fortunately, it was a clean patch with some reverb and delay, so the YouTube video (which happened to be an Axe tutorial) has been "reverbized". It was strange...)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, much appreciated!

With the Scarlett specifically though DO NOT use XLR->XLR cables. Like many other interfaces this thing has combo XLR&1/4 jacks... I use this interface with the AFX myself and the XLR ins on the Scarlett go through the full Mic preamp. 1/4" inputs do not. You can use the XLR outs on the Axe if you wish but for that interface use an XLR to TRS cable or the Axe's 1/4" outs.

I use the Scarlett as my interface and the Axe runs into the line ins. Unless your Axe connects to the computer 24/7 I'd try it.

With the Scarlett specifically though DO NOT use XLR->XLR cables. Like many other interfaces this thing has combo XLR&1/4 jacks... I use this interface with the AFX myself and the XLR ins on the Scarlett go through the full Mic preamp. 1/4" inputs do not. You can use the XLR outs on the Axe if you wish but for that interface use an XLR to TRS cable or the Axe's 1/4" outs.

I use the Scarlett as my interface and the Axe runs into the line ins. Unless your Axe connects to the computer 24/7 I'd try it.

Thanks for the advice, I'll avoid then the XLR->XLR cables for my Scarlett. Which one is better (in terms of sound quality), XLR to TRS or the cable with 1/4" jacks on both ends?

Is the cable quality important? For the main instrument cable (guitar ---> amp or guitar ---> effects processor, etc.) it is always emphasized that the more quality cables give a much better sound. That's why I use a high-end instrument cable for recording my guitar. I wonder whether the (initially) high quality signal gets deteriorated when the Axe--->Scarlett cables are not top quality. And my "investment" to the high-end guitar cable is ruined, when the signal gets worse after leaving Axe and travelling to the Scarlett audio interface. What do you think?

Theoretically XLR to TRS is a lower noise connection.

Sure, it is worth it to buy good cables, but TBH, for short runs and TRS connections you are probably never going to hear a difference for good vs great cables. Reliability is more noticeable for me in that use case.

And you also get peace of mind knowing you have a good cable and given how intensely you seem to be thinking on this, that is probably worth it alone.

If you go this route with a Scarlett audio interface (or other external AI), what does this mean for Axe Edit? Do you use MIDI-cables to the PC instead? Or can you use the USB from Axe FX 2 to PC but somehow disable the audio interface part?

If you go this route with a Scarlett audio interface (or other external AI), what does this mean for Axe Edit? Do you use MIDI-cables to the PC instead? Or can you use the USB from Axe FX 2 to PC but somehow disable the audio interface part?

I use the USB cable for Axe Edit, and I can still use the external AI through other cables. The USB communication is still working in this case too.

2i4 is a pretty horrible card as far as transparency is concerned. It is noisy and introduces quite a lot of distortion. So yes, there will be considerable signal degradation, although not necessarily due to ADDA conversions, there may be many things wrong with this card. That said, you may not actually hear any of these problems. That's for you to decide.

For analog reamping though this is certainly a bad choice, the noise will be audible.

Oh, that's not good news... Is it due to the cheap price range of this card category, or is it something specially with the 2i4 which could be amended?

I'd recommend using the Axe as audio interface when you are recording guitars or reamping. Easy and good results. Especially reamping is a lot easier with Axe usb. No need to guess levels, no ground loops and noise.

Use the Scarlett when you need microphones.

Back
Top Bottom