Axe FX II : What's the best combination of effects in order to get a "SLICER" sound

zecure

Inspired
Guys,

proud owner of a new Axe II since a month now and learning every day. I used to be a GT 10 boss guy before and sofar for sure no comparison with the Axe.
One thing that I am puzzled about is the slicer effect (which was on the GT10).

Has anyone a clue how to create it on the Axe II.. with tremolo/vibrato or something else. Happy to hear all thoughts. tx a lot in advance.

cheers Zecure

The easiest way that I can think of is to set up a tremolo and set the LFO type to 'square', which will create the stuttering effect you are after. Then you just have to set the rate to whatever time you want and start going nuts. You can adjust from there to your personal tastes. It can get a lil' bit freaky though. Keep experimenting with the waveform until you are happy.

Also search for clips of the Boss SL-20 pedal. That is their stand alone slicer. I was going to buy one, but lack of midi preset capability was a show stopper. I use an Adrenalinn III for similar stuff. I just recently started messing around with controllers on the Axe. On the MAMA thread there was a pattern tremolo patch. That would be a good place to start. I rolled my own, in my case using a filter instead of trem, but it should work similarly. I set the controller for the level to be sequencer. In the sequencer you can do all sorts of whacky stuff, that sounds like slicing. In my case I figured out how to get the accents on the "and" 16th notes to give a reggae type feel. I also used the sequencer to control the filter frequency and may have even done some whackiness with panning.

I kept that patch and also made a copy that had some parallel stuff going on to the dry signal. Flange on one side and band pass filter on the other. I even kicked on a phase 90 instereo with a slow filter on my POD HD which feeds the Axe.

Once I am home for a few days I want to mess around with more of this type stuff. I need to figure out how to get the "run" command to work with an external pedal so I can reset the LFO or sequencer on the fly. I also want to try getting the MFC to send tap tempo to both Axe and POD simultaneously.

I can see this turning into a rat hole where I will have a bunch of whacky FX patches and still not have my bread and butter patches worked out. . . .lol. .

I think you're going to end experimenting with the sequencer controller, pitch effect, volume block, etc. A slicer is quite a bit more than just a tremolo.

I bought a Boss SL-20 for that purpose. They were on sale for less than 100$ a few months back. It's probably much easier to use than to program on the axefx using the advanced tools available. It all depends on your needs and budget, that is, if you were considering spending money for a slicer.

I 'm sure you can get some basic slicing going on with the axe itself

The axe can cop all the stuff going on in the sl20. Just use the sequencer and tie it into a volume block (level and pan) and a filter. I could do an example patch if anyone's interested.

You'll need to integrate the pitch module as well.

oh yeah, i forgot some of the patterns have pitch shifting as well. only had the SL-20 for a while. sold it when i moved to a computer based looping setup. great machine though.

Cool. I can't wait to try that patch. Now if only I could be near my Axe II.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you can take it much further than this though...add in the pitch block, some tempo synced delays, filters...

the-only-limit-is-your-own-imagination_design.png

All of this talk got me curious so I snagged a Boss Slicer. You *can* do this stuff in the Axe but it's a lot easier with the stomp box for playing around. I could see using the Boss pedal to experiment quickly and then using the Axe once you've nailed what you're trying to do.

<3 Simeon for having such great insight for all of us wierdoes trying to do stuff beyond the delay of U2, LOL! <3

Back
Top Bottom