Axe-Fx II weird flanger/ducking issue?

Baz98

Hey everyone I need some advice on what could be causing a weird issue with my Axe Fx II. I got home from uni, plugged in my guitar, loaded up my patch for an Orange RV-50, hit an open note and immediately noticed something was off. The audio was doing this weird flanger/ducking effect, as if I had a noise gate just cutting off signal randomly after hitting a note then going through some weird ass flanger. I’ve had some strange issues with my axe unit in the past where I felt as if all my tones had become 70% weaker, like signal was being choked somewhere in the units hardware. I sent it off to one of the few places in Australia that can do repairs, and after several months got told there wasn’t anything wrong with it apart from one of the jacks becoming corroded (which he didn’t think was effecting my guitars signal). Also just in general, from the tones I hear people playing through their own Axe Fx units, I’ve felt mine has always been lacking, even when I download other peoples patches.

Any help on the issues would be massively appreciated.

I can’t attach links as I’m a new forum member so if you think you might have an idea what the issue is, I can PM you a link to a video showing what I mean. In the video I’ve opened up a new patch, with an RV-50 with the gain set all the way to 10, running through a cab without any noise gate in the chain.

Look for the simple things first. Rule out any corrupted firmware or preset problems.

Perhaps there was a global parameter that you might have inadvertently set by accident.

This process might take a little time, but my best suggestion would be to do a complete reset and reinstall of your firmware and presets. Note your settings for your customized presets (perhaps taking screenshots). Follow the instructions to the tee and make sure everything has a chance to finish loading and that you do not rush the installation.

Before doing anything else, disconnect your MFC-101 pedal if you have one.

You will need the latest version of Fractal Bot and the latest Axe Fx II XL firmware and presets to reinstall the software and presets.
You can download it from here: https://www.fractalaudio.com/fractal-bot/. Download the latest Axe Edit while you are at it.

Next, make a backup of your complete system using Fractal Bot. Make sure to back up your cabs too if in case you bought any.

Download the Axe Fx firmware and presets.
You can find the firmware and presets here. https://www.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-downloads/

Reset your Axe Fx. You will find instructions at https://support.fractalaudio.com/article/10-resetting-the-axe-fx-and-mfc-101.

Now install the new firmware, then the presets.

Once you get that done, let us know if you are on the road to recovery and then I will tell you how to selectively reinstall your old patches.

Have you changed or checked any of the settings outside of the presets such by pressing the I/O button and going through the menus and checked your A/D input levels or into the Audio menu in there where there are routing options and boost pads and such? There are a lot of things in there that could affect your tone as well as the EQ menu in the box itself. Maybe you checked all that but just a guess that it could be in there if it's not a problem in your patches. Maybe something in the global options is doing something to your presets but I am not sure if that could cause the problem you are having. Without hearing it for myself it's hard to say. Try what Eric suggested if you have already checked all those menus and confidant it's not anything there I would say.

I can recall one day when my Axe Fx once sounded terrible, and I called in for tech support. It finally dawned on me that on the IO menu, I had the input set to USB for a reamping project and forgot to change the input back to ANALOG IN 1. Correcting the input on the IO menu immediately solved the problem.

Back
Top Bottom