Axe Fx II vs Zoom G3

jdosher

Inspired
Is the Axe as good as the Zoom G3?

Okay, okay. I'm not being serious.
I do have a real question though. I'm looking for a cheap Axe Fx "substitute". I'm asking on this forum so I can get a "compared to the Axe" reference. Here's the deal:

My Axe Fx II lives at the rehearsal space and I need something for doing direct recording for working on song ideas to share with the band. My current method is to run through some of my standard pedals, the last in the chain being a Tech 21 Leeds pedal with the cab emulator on. This then runs into my mixing console. The eq added by the "cab" helps a lot, but it's not great. Also, I kind of need to better emulate the sound of two different rigs (my band-mate's rig vs my rig); recording two guitar parts with identical sound doesn't help differentiate the parts very well while tracking, or as I'm writing.

I was looking into getting a GSP1101 (had one before, and they're pretty darn good for the price), but they're still $300+, 5-year old tech, and even the people that make the 3rd party firmware for them seem to have called it quits. The Zoom G3 popped up on my radar and I'm wondering if anyone here has one and can comment on how they sound and function. Or if you've had experience with other sub $200 devices that'll give me not-too-crappy amp and cab sims. I know what to expect from the Axe, and I'm not expecting that from a cheap unit, but I want something better (and more flexible) than my current method.

Criteria:
- Multiple amps/cabs so I can dial in 'my sound' and 'my band mate's sound' and access each with a button press or two
- Stand-alone; I don't want to mess with plug-ins or latency (and I'll also use it for practice at home, where I don't want to mess with firing up my DAW)
- Basic FX would be handy, but that's easy - the quality of the amp/cab/mic sims are more important for what I'm hoping to find
- Affordable, but not horrible. "Nowhere close to the Axe, but still usable" is what I'm looking for.

If the GSP1101 is still light-years ahead of the Zoom G3, I'd spend the extra I suppose. I just know that 5-year newer technology can easily mean the $169 Zoom sounds on par with the GSP1101 for less money. I'd probably find myself wanting the GSP's foot controller too, so I'd end up spending more than I'd planned.

Probably the only cheap substitute I can come up with is a cheap modeler with Mesa Cab Clone. POD HD amp side is okay I guess but the cabs... ewwww!

Get a used Line 6 Pod Xt or HD product with a built in pedal if it just a scratch pad for ideas.

People here will disparage the technology- but lots of people used Line 6 stuff on recordings and live for years.
Heck- Jeff Beck used an old POD on a CD.

Hi!
I got a zoom G3X as a spare in case of emergency, or very short stage appearance as guest.
I was able to find three sounds quite useable (clean, dist, lead) tweaking a lot and using 2 eq blocks... but at the end I sold it after a week.

It's more expensive, but since I like the Dumble sound, I think I'll go for an ethos overdrive

Try a software like Guitar Rig 5 . That was the only thing that I've used for recording before I bought the Axe.

I owned a Zoom G3. Price/quality is't sure a great deal, but it could not satisfy me at all.

So I sold it and got a second hand Axe-Fx Standard instead. Of course, that's not a fair comparison since the zoom is ridiculous cheap.

IMHO and YMMV

Try a software like Guitar Rig 5 . That was the only thing that I've used for recording before I bought the Axe.
I already have Guitar Rig 5. I'm definitely looking for something that keeps me off of the mouse and keyboard.

Interesting that both of you guys that bought Zoom G3's, in the end, didn't find them to cut the mustard. It's pretty hard to go from the Axe to something like the zoom, I suspect. From what I've read so far, people seem to think the G3 sounds pretty good compared to similar devices. I'm on the fence; it may still be useful and sound better than what I'm currently doing, so in that regard it might satisfy my needs.
Maybe I'll just pick one up at Guitar Center since I'll have some time to return it if I need.

maybe set up the axe so you can lug it back and forth until you have enough saved for a backup II / XL? sold both of mine due to unemployment. though I'll be gearing up for a more portable XL rig, once I'm stable.

I already have Guitar Rig 5. I'm definitely looking for something that keeps me off of the mouse and keyboard.

+1 on Guitar Rig. You can add something like a Korg nano controller if you want to avoid the keyboard/mouse

I agree with larry put the axe in a small rack case and carry it you can buy more cables cheap un plug and go. are you going to buy a back up rig to gig with or are you going to move it then. the practice of setting up doesn't hurt either.

I agree with larry put the axe in a small rack case and carry it you can buy more cables cheap un plug and go. are you going to buy a back up rig to gig with or are you going to move it then. the practice of setting up doesn't hurt either.

maybe set up the axe so you can lug it back and forth until you have enough saved for a backup II / XL? sold both of mine due to unemployment. though I'll be gearing up for a more portable XL rig, once I'm stable.
A bit hard to do on a motorcycle ;-)
I wish I could afford a second unit, but I don't really need one. I'm just looking for usable sounds, and ease of use: walk into my home studio, grab guitar, decide to record.

+1 on Guitar Rig. You can add something like a Korg nano controller if you want to avoid the keyboard/mouse

Too many issues with that in the long run. Switching the buffer size in my console to get low latency vs high track count, too many options, too much reliance on the computer. I guess I could give it a shot, but when I've tried that in the past it ceased to be the simple solution it sounds like on paper.

No, no. That's way out of the scope of what I'm looking for. My rig is set up already, with the Axe, Furman and Matrix in one nice little rack and I don't want or need to re-do that. If I drove my truck to work, then to rehearsal, maybe I could grab the rack, but I ride a motorcycle so hauling gear back and forth isn't what I'm looking for. I have plenty of practice settting/tearing down my rig, so none needed! Ha! No, I'm just looking for something that sounds a little better than what I'm running now.

as mentioned earlier, gonna be hard to compare to the axe. once you're comfy with that fact, then the world of sub $500 modeling is your oyster!! snatch up a used pod hd pro x, 11r, gsp1101, whatever if you're also looking for a backup. iirc, most daw and standalone guitar VST's can be controlled via midi --so that's another plus in my book.

running an 11r myself and I pretty much hate it. nothing wrong with it really, but i can't stop thinking about the axe and all the compromises I didn't have to make. a lot like that perfect woman that got away...

good luck, my friend.

Get a used Line 6 Pod Xt or HD product with a built in pedal if it just a scratch pad for ideas.

People here will disparage the technology- but lots of people used Line 6 stuff on recordings and live for years.
Heck- Jeff Beck used an old POD on a CD.

Pod HD500X Cheap, all in one sounds decent. Still have mine.

I had the G3 for a few days and got rid of it. Didn't like it at all....Wasn't even worth a few hundred bucks to me....

Back
Top Bottom