Axe-FX II vs TSE & Poulin plugins

Rhiza

Inspired
Hi guys. Me and a friend met up the other day, installed Ableton on his computer and since he doesn't have an amp we decided to install free amp sim software from TSE and Poulin.
We were pretty surprised it sounded this good considering it's actually free!
So just for fun I decided to compare the Axe-FX II EVH 5153 against the TSE X50 (Peavey 5150)

I'm using a Mesa cab from RedWirez on the Axe-FX II as well on the cabinet plugin from Poulin (LeCab 2)
Both setups have exactly the same settings!

Personally I like the Axe-FX II better, it sounds fuller and has more bottom end. But the TSE free plugin sound good as well :)
Considering that TSE and Poulin plugins are free this is pretty damn good for a metalhead on a budget :p
Only thing that was bought was the Mesa Cabs from RedWirez.

What you guys think?

Drop-D tuning

Drop-B tuning

Last edited:
IRs are everything. If Line6 had good IRs 15 years ago they would've killed tube amps a long time ago. But sure I've used those plugins and sometimes I use them for bass distortion... they are proper but tube feel isn't there.

IRs are everything. If Line6 had good IRs 15 years ago they would've killed tube amps a long time ago. But sure I've used those plugins and sometimes I use them for bass distortion... they are proper but tube feel isn't there.

I have to agree. When I was a amp noob I always blamed the amp sims for being bad. Started messing around with IR's and quickly found out that they are indeed everything!
Axe-FX is superior in so many levels, but still cool that you can get decent distortion even on a low budget :)

A lot of amp sim products suffer from poor IR's or not allowing the option to load a custom IR like the Axe-FX II ;)

Back
Top Bottom