Axe FX II vs Torpedo technologies

Clive

Experienced
Who have ever done a comparison between Axe II and Torpedo technology.

I'm particularly interested in cab simulation and especially power amp simulation.

Thanks.

i have a torpedo VB101 and an axe fx II, and i load into both of then Ownhammer Impulses, in my opinion the cab simulation is very similar in both cases... now i'm trying ASEM REcto V30 L2 impulse it rocks!...
about power amp simulation i can't say anything, i never try de power simulation in the torpedo...

Since they both use IRs the cab modelling will be very similar. The amp modelling will no doubt be very different.

I use the torpedo live as a load box for real amp. It is awesome for that. Cab simulation stuff is pretty standard with the addition of being able to place the mic on IRs in their format. I prefer 3rd party cabs though. The poweramp simulation is very basic and is no where in the same league as the Axe-fx.

Cab simulation stuff is pretty standard with the addition of being able to place the mic on IRs in their format.

It would be cool to have this kind of feature in Cab-Lab but this implies to have a huge collection of IRs just for one cab (placement, mic...) unless Two Notes uses a special technology to compute IRs depending on the placement of the mic.

The poweramp simulation is very basic and is no where in the same league as the Axe-fx.

OK but how do you feel this. I'm really interested in your explanations/feelings about this because we cannot use power amp simulations alone with the Axe.

Who have ever done a comparison between Axe II and Torpedo technology.

I'm particularly interested in cab simulation and especially power amp simulation.

Thanks.

The power amp simulation on the Torpedo stuff is amazing to say the least, its not that it sounds that much better then the power amp simulation inside the axe fx its just way more fun to use! and the sound difference between Tube Types is more pronounced then on the Axe FX.

I had tried using them both as one unit but in the end its better to have them serve different proposes, because both are just amazing units.

I'm really looking forward for what Two Nots have for the future, they are cooking right now some amazing stuff that will likely lead the next gen simulation but thats to be seen in the next few years.

It would be cool to have this kind of feature in Cab-Lab but this implies to have a huge collection of IRs just for one cab (placement, mic...) unless Two Notes uses a special technology to compute IRs depending on the placement of the mic.

OK but how do you feel this. I'm really interested in your explanations/feelings about this because we cannot use power amp simulations alone with the Axe.

I mean, I don't they do a very good job of emulating a good poweramp. It just doesn't sound very good to me (the poweramp compression isn't as dynamic and interactive as the Axe-fx. It is unneeded for my purpose because I tap the signal after the poweramp on my real amps. The presence control definitely does not act like a real amp.

I'm using the Torpedo Studio with my Mojave Scorpion & Orange Rockerverb 50 MKI. I seldomly use the Two Notes power amp simulation, because both these amps deliver a pre+power amp tone and there is no way to isolate the preamp signal from these amps (the Mojave uses a line out which already has the power amp part in it and the Rockerverb has no line out). I only use the Two Notes power amp simulation if I'm playing around with Axe FX II amp models (in that case Sag=0, i.o.w. power amp is defeated). This technique is nice to get a different flavor, but overall, I prefer the Axe FX II power amp sim, which in no way implies that the Two Notes power amp sim is bad.

What I do like about the Torpedo is that you can move around the Mic and instantly switch IRs that way. Sure, you can load about 100 IRs of a single cab and do the same process in the Axe FX II, but it's much easier to do it in the Torpedo.

In my opinion, the Torpedo should not be bought if you'll only use it in conjuction with the Axe FX II, except if the convenience factor means so much to you. If you have real amps lying around that you'd like to use at high volumes and/or if you don't want to mic your cabs, then the Torpedo is a very nice tool to possess.

As far as IR quality goes: The Torpedo IRs are as good as Axe FX's High Res IRs. However, Two Notes is not offering any IRs in the "Ultra Res" length, because Guillaume Pille, the inventor of the Torpedo, is not convinced that "longer" IRs sound better than the "High Res" Irs. You can however convert Ultra Res IRs into the Torpedo format. But if you're convinced that Ultra Res IRs are much better than High Res IRs, it's best to stay with the Axe FX II.

how can i convert Ultra res IR into torpedo format??

I've used the wrong words. Ultra Res IRs are basically longer IRs. You can experiment with the length of these Impulse Responses if you have them in .wav file format by using the BlendIR tool from Two Notes. You can't convert a .syx IR into the Torpedo format, though.

Back
Top Bottom