Axe FX II vs Standard

laxu

Fractal Fanatic
So I finally upgraded from Axe FX Standard to II. Threw in firmware 9 and started testing. I replicated a few patches from my Standard (clean, mid gain mostly) and put the same settings in the II, using the same amp and cab models (used patches that had the same models in the II and Standard).

The end result was that yes, the II sounds better. A more open, more natural sounding midrange was the most noticeable thing. However, the Standard still sounded great and I would have no trouble enjoying that as well. With some EQ tweaks the Standard would probably sound pretty close to the II. A more noticeable difference was in feel: the II felt more responsive and immediate. Overall it's not a huge difference, basically going from "really good" to "even better" rather than night and day.

As far as usability goes, the Axe II is a little bit easier to use but at the same time it has so many options available that they quickly become somewhat overwhelming. The Standard by comparison feels much more straightforward and probably will be easier for new users to learn. The II seems to require a bit less fiddling with levels and delivers the goods with less tweaking. The new quick knobs are a welcome addition, but their placement is pretty terrible when it comes to relation with the value knob and the display. Overall the user interface on the hardware is a bit better, but still awkward to use.

At the moment the Standard is a pretty good buy and sounds good. It's up to you to decide if the added features (especially for recording) and the slightly improved tone and feel are worth the extra money.

[...] and put the same settings in the II, using the same amp and cab models [...]

Not a good comparison, as the II works differently with and reacts differently to the "same" settings.
Given the same amp type, you should set a "goal sound" and dial both the II and the Std. to get closest to this idealized sound.

+1 at Sebastians comments. Exactly the II works very differently man to the settings of the Ultra. Hear a desired sound you want and try to achieve it on the Standard and the II and you'll find major differences. I shifted from the Ultra to II and found a ton of difference in the feel,sounds,and capabilities.

The point was to compare what the differences would be with the same settings, even if those settings no longer match completely. There's obviously lots of things like higher IR res, all the improved modeling stuff etc. Nevertheless, regardless of the patch in use my findings were very much the same: the II sounds and feels better, but not twice-the-price better. For someone who is thinking of buying an Axe-Fx, the Standard and Ultra are great bargains.

The point was to compare what the differences would be with the same settings, even if those settings no longer match completely. There's obviously lots of things like higher IR res, all the improved modeling stuff etc. Nevertheless, regardless of the patch in use my findings were very much the same: the II sounds and feels better, but not twice-the-price better. For someone who is thinking of buying an Axe-Fx, the Standard and Ultra are great bargains.
i guess everyone has different ears then. :)

I didn't buy the II until Firmware 5 or 6 came out. Up till 4 I didn't feel any difference either but then the gap started to increase in many many ways. Just wait for the Firmware 9 that is about to get release,the Beta isn't even close to what the final release of 9 would be.

The point was to compare what the differences would be with the same settings, even if those settings no longer match completely.

That's a valid comparison, and I did the same one when I got my II versus my old Standard.

However, I ended up in the same place where everyone else in this threaded has pointed to: yes, you have to rethink your patch design and start from scratch if you want to get optimal results from the II.

Oh, and for me, the modeling in the II is so much better, that it's worth twice the price. However, the Standard/Ultra still sound really good despite that. It's all in your specific needs. The Standard, in particular, is a ridiculous deal right now at the going rates. Barely more expensive than the POD HD stuff, and for much better sounds and effects.

Back
Top Bottom