• We would like to remind our members that this is a privately owned, run and supported forum. You are here at the invitation and discretion of the owners. As such, rules and standards of conduct will be applied that help keep this forum functioning as the owners desire. These include, but are not limited to, removing content and even access to the forum.

Please give yourself a refresher on the forum rules you agreed to follow when you signed up.

Axe FX II vs PRS HX/DA

guitarcal

Inspired
Hello everyone!

I had some free time this afternoon, so I decided to record a comparison between my PRS HX/DA amp, Hendrix mode, variac’d at 90 watts and the Axe FX II @ v18.12. The goal was to take my normal HX/DA tone and copy with the Axe FX WITHOUT using tone match.

As far as I can tell, the Plexi 50W Jump is the closest in terms of sound, attack, and presence.

I mic’d up the bottom left speaker of my 1970 Marshall Basketweave Cab. The speaker is a 25w Rola Greenback from 1971, model 1511 which is the 55hz cone. The mic was a Shure Beta 57A (very similar to a Shure 57, just a tad fuller sounding) I captured a profile using the Mic + DI method and dialed in the Axe tone as close as possible.

I've attached pictures below of the HX/DA amp settings and the Axe FX II settings. Surprisingly, the settings are actually fairly close to one another...
Both the HX/DA and Plexi 50W are variac’d at 90 watts. The HX/DA is at half volume. I wish I could run at full volume, but this would result in very unhappy neighbors...

I used my 2011 custom shop heavy relic 57 strat (60s Rocketfire Pickups), Boss OD3 pedal (as a clean boost), Walrus Audio Deep 6, Strymon Timeline and Blue Sky for the recording. I ride the volume control to obtain the cleaner / dirtier tones.

I recorded a dry track and reamped through the Axe and PRS amp. Both were recorded using a Focusrite preamp.
Here are the results. The first (Track8Demo) is the amp and second (Track1Demo) is the Axe FX.

I believe I am pretty close to the same tone. I would appreciate any feedback to how I can get closer! Let me know your thoughts!

jlynnb1

Fractal Fanatic
other than one track being a few db quieter than the other, they sound pretty much identical...would solve my gas for that amp for sure, if I had any.

Top Bottom