Great job on the video.

Well, this definitely answers the question I had last year wondering how much more “tube like” modeling could get beyond the Axe2xl+ and I have to say that the 2 sounds great still and there were a few takes and models where they were very similar but where I really noticed the difference (beyond the output levels) was between most of the last 3 amp models and mostly with the Les Paul. The LP sounded best with the last 3 overall and with the last amp model (I believe it was a clean Soldono model or something) the difference between the Strat takes was more pronounced than on the other models.

I was mostly excited about the new features and the horsepower on the 3 but now I’m really stoked about the tones both in terms of what I’m hearing now and where things will be going once that available horsepower starts getting more utilization in future updates.

Totally!!! Doing a demo of presets 11-20 now.. with the les paul. This unit sounds so damn good! JAYYYSUS!!!

The difference between the II and the III in a recording is much bigger than I thought it would be.
I thought that there would be a little different in sound and a slightly bigger difference in feel, but the improvement in dynamics is marked and quite obvious throughout the frequency range to my ears.

I haven’t heard the video yet (it’s 6am here). But when porting the Axe2 presets and comparing them apples to apples with the exact same gain settings resulting in the same perceived amount of gain, the III was more dynamic with the same cable and guitar. I simply moved the guitar cable from the different front inputs, same mixer, settings, speakers. More dynamics can mean it sounds like more or less gain depending on how I play the guitar.

i agree with above, also regarding the clean fender sounds... if you can't hear the improved chimeyness the way the amp sings then you're deaf :D

i agree with above, also regarding the clean fender sounds... if you can't hear the improved chimeyness the way the amp sings then you're deaf :D

It's even more noticeable when you're playing for some reason. It's not that there's more highs but they're more bell-like. My cheap Warmoth strat copy into the Fender models is giving me a
woody-toy-story-that-time-forgot-5.87.jpg

I haven’t heard the video yet (it’s 6am here). But when porting the Axe2 presets and comparing them apples to apples with the exact same gain settings resulting in the same perceived amount of gain, the III was more dynamic with the same cable and guitar. I simply moved the guitar cable from the different front inputs, same mixer, settings, speakers. More dynamics can mean it sounds like more or less gain depending on how I play the guitar.

Yeah. It's a more sensitive to the touch. I dug through the parameters...... Negative Feedback, Supply Sag, B+ Time Constant, Speaker frequencies, resonance, transformer drive, speaker drive, speaker compression, compressor clarity.... all of these had a different value on the II and on the III.

Yeah. It's a more sensitive to the touch. I dug through the parameters...... Negative Feedback, Supply Sag, B+ Time Constant, Speaker frequencies, resonance, transformer drive, speaker drive, speaker compression, compressor clarity.... all of these had a different value on the II and on the III.
def agree

great demonstration. marked improvement in the III especially for the less gained-up sounds. just sounds more dynamic and natural. really looking forward to getting one.

Sounded great, but likely one needs to be in the room and listening to really appreciate a difference.
I do trust that those that actually have an AXE 3 to do a side by side with an AXE2 or AXE8 do feel there is a difference that they hear.
It was not really apparent when I listened other than maybe the gain element mentioned. I was able to pretty easily match on my AXE 8 on same presets with no tweaking.
Before I get flamed I have high end monitors and headphones that I work from.

Appreciate the demo. Nice playing. Thanks!

Last edited:
I have to agree with Lkdog here. I'm on the waiting list for the 3, so I'll hear one myself soon enough. Mostly what I hear is more gain on the 3 patches. You can definitely hear different nuances, but I can't be certain how much of a role gain is playing.

To be clear, I'm still very enthusiastic about the 3 and am grateful for Cliffs policies on product (development/life cylce). The 2 has had a great run to be sure. I'm confidant that the 3 will be every bit as long lived.

Out of my computer speaker the III has more room and sounds much deaper. And now I start to imagine how much better the effect blocks will sound. FAS: great job!
And thanks for taking the time to shoot the video to give us the the comparison between the II + the III.

Out of my computer speaker the III has more room and sounds much deaper. And now I start to imagine how much better the effect blocks will sound. FAS: great job!
And thanks for taking the time to shoot the video to give us the the comparison between the II + the III.
good point! I actually haven't had time to sit and try out the "drive" blocks. I've only been playing presets.

Back
Top Bottom