Axe-Fx II vs. AX8

Tyler Box

Hello all,

I purchased an Axe Fx II mk II about a year ago, but now im shifting more into live playing. So, I need a midi controller.

Of course there are budget options such as the behringer, but I was mainly looking at the MFC.

So my question is, why would I shell out another 600-700 ish on the used market for the MFC when the AX8 is only 1100 brand new.

Essentially, would it be worth it to sell the Axe Fx II and purchase the AX8, presumably breaking even or maybe even making a little bit of money. Or to bite the bullet on the MFC and use the rack system in general.

Or if you guys have any midpriced midi options available for consideration, that would be cool too!

Thanks guys,

Box

Check out the BJ Devices midi pedals. Lot of bang for your buck.
For the AX8, you would only have one amp block, and a couple of blocks you can only have one instance. If your patches are fairly simple it should be easy to convert to the AX8.

Maybe look for a used POD 500 - shouldn't be more than 200 bucks or so. Use it as a midi controller - and while it doesn't come close to the axe in tone- you still have it as a back up if anything would happen to the axe. And it sounds ok.

I have both a II (acquired first) and an AX8. I used the II with a Liquidfoot Pro. Now that I have the AX8, the II stays home. The II sounds a little better and has more features, but the AX8 provides plenty of tone for playing live. It's a much easier load. I would replace the AX8 if stolen, but not the II.

Actually, if you don't need the extra instances of blocks, and you don't need the Axe being an audio interface, you should definitely fully go for the Ax8. Seems so much more convenient in live shows, and cost effective!

I am an Axe FX 2 owner. In my case, if I'll ever buy a new version of a fractal amp modeller, it would be a powered version or a Axe FX 3 floor version which is far more likely to exist...

Though, I really think you shouldn't look away from something as cheap as the behringer. I've been using a modded behringer for years and I really don't see any reason to buy a MFC. Yeah, the MFC may have a screen, but is it really that important? A pedalboard is just to switch patches and stomps - no need for special bells and whistles.

Like Freemind said, if you don't need the extra blocks and dual amps the AX-8 is a very good investment. I highly recommend it in that case. If however you can't live without lots of FX and dual amps avoid the AX-8 like the plague because its not an Axe FX II in a floorboard, but the II Lite in a floorboard. And more Lite then Axe FX II if you ask me. I could never gig with it, which is why I prefer to use my II on stage.

Like Freemind said, for a controller there are cheaper alternatives to the MFC, but it does have the advantage that its tailor made for the II. Scenes, X&Y switching, it works like a dream. And you can easily plug in a couple of cheap Roland EV-5 expression pedals in it. No need for all that expensive Mission crap (I mean crap as in lovingly :D). On the flipside again, if you ever plan to use the Axe together with another MIDI controllable unit then the MFC is not the easiest controller to do so. Took me a lot of effort to make it play nice with a Line 6 M-5. Still, it works so smoothly with the II......(sigh)

Of course there are budget options such as the behringer, but I was mainly looking at the MFC.

I don't understand this. If you had said, "...but I need to do really complicated things that the Behringer can't handle". If all you need to do is switch presets/scenes and toggle some X/Y and bypasses on blocks, and use expression pedals the FC-1010 can be a really good alternative. Most people don't want to do a lot of pedal dancing when they're live anyways, so presets and scenes seem to be the way to go. The FC-1010 is a solid workhorse, and with either of the mod EPROMs in it, it's a really good match for the AxeFX.

You should be able to get a MFC used pretty cheap these days. I sold my mkII version for $300. I’d say $350 is a more than fair market price and as more of the new FC’s ship even more MFC’s should be hitting the market

Still tough choice between the two options, but certainly don’t need to spend $600-$700 for a MFC anymore

I have toyed with the same idea, selling my axe ii to get an ax8. Then I learnt how to program my Uno chipped Behringer FCB (with the help of the lovely people on here) and I wont even consider the Ax8 again.

The extra features of the Axe ii also helped me change my mind (headphone jack, slightly more processing power)

Its a tough choice but if you do the pros & cons for your situation, I say go with what your pros are. :)

+1 for the Behringer FCB1010. It's a great cheap MIDI pedalboard. If you go that route, definitely get a modded eProm chip like EurekaProm or UNO. I used the FCB1010 + EurekaProm for a couple years when I got my Axe FX II and it was perfect. Other guitar player in my band still uses his with his Kemper.

I ended up buying a used MFC-101 MKIII from someone here on the Fractal boards (for $470) because I wanted the phantom power over XLR cable. I don't have to worry about finding a power source or carrying around an extension cord at shows anymore.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom