Axe-FX II: Voodoo Chile!

Gamedojo

Power User
I am so happy that I got an Axe FX last week. I've had so much fun learning the device and what it can do.

Whats tripping me out the most is that my experience building amps is translating. The things I've always wanted to try, but couldn't, is finally at my fingertips.

Come checkout my Voodoo chile recording using a new SRV patch I built this afternoon:

SRV Voodoo
(Intro is cut off since i no way of using a wah in the axefx yet)

The best part... I did it all with headphones on. Perfect baby sleeping solution!

_____
EDIT:PATCHES POSTED (You axefx monsters!)

Tyler Grund's Axe Fx 2 Website

All I ask is that you do your best to give me any credit for the patch in the future. Its a lot of work to fine tune these patches. If you like them, enjoy them!

Last edited:
awesome sound!!! what guitar are you playing ? aktive pick up or passiv? sounds really original. great job and your website to!! we all could do that and it would raise the quality up high. keep going. regards

awesome sound!!! what guitar are you playing ? aktive pick up or passiv? sounds really original. great job and your website to!! we all could do that and it would raise the quality up high. keep going. regards

Thanks! This is just as exciting for me as anyone. I've been a tube purist all my life. I even only use Vintage amp. The fact that a brand new digital rack unit has taken me this far is mind-blowing.

I use a 1971 strat that I fell in love with. But replaced the pickups with Rocketfire Pickups (no longer sold without guitars). So ...passive for sure.

The website is a great way to both document my journey and share what i've found. Looking forward to flushing it out.

Jeezus! You mailed the playing, you nailed his tone! R u playing heavy-ass strings? Do you have hands as strong as an orangutans? Or is it all just amazing tweakage (and great playing?). Bravo.

Jeezus! You mailed the playing, you nailed his tone! R u playing heavy-ass strings? Do you have hands as strong as an orangutans? Or is it all just amazing tweakage (and great playing?). Bravo.

lol...

The axefx can only do so much. A good part of the sound is the guitar and the playing. I've loved SRV for so long that I've gravitated towards a good sounding 71 strat and set it up with 11-58s, so not TOO big of strings. As for the hands... I've gotten pretty strong, but what most don't get is that its not all THAT hard to play full throttle like SRV....its just impossible to keep it UP like he did. I can do it in short bursts like recording this tune, but a whole night!? He was a god! LOL

As for tweakage, the biggest element was getting a good IR Of my E130 JBL. That sound is a key element for sure.

lol...

The axefx can only do so much. A good part of the sound is the guitar and the playing. I've loved SRV for so long that I've gravitated towards a good sounding 71 strat and set it up with 11-58s, so not TOO big of strings. As for the hands... I've gotten pretty strong, but what most don't get is that its not all THAT hard to play full throttle like SRV....its just impossible to keep it UP like he did. I can do it in short bursts like recording this tune, but a whole night!? He was a god! LOL

As for tweakage, the biggest element was getting a good IR Of my E130 JBL. That sound is a key element for sure.

ahhh! Those 58's! Thought I heard them (and a nice strat, naturally). I knew it warn't jus' tweakage! Brilliant. Proves that the guitar, the strings, the 'amp', the speaks, and most of all the PLAYER, all are essential to the equation. I used to play elevens. Played 11-50, I think, for years. After being paralyzed for a time, and laboriously learning to play again, I kept to 11's stubbornly until this year. Too much carpal tunnel etc. So now I'm on the dreaded 10 gauges (10-46 - I should try their Jeff healy's which are 10-56, might be usable). No, they don't sound quite as good, but changing from Boomers to DR strings helped. Life's full of compromises, and a man's gotta know his limits. I'll never play as fast or as strong as I did before my spinal cord injury, but I hope I play with more soul. Keep it up, your playing and tone are great. Will look forward to trying this patch out on my mex strat, and especially on my Danny U1.

ahhh! Those 58's! Thought I heard them (and a nice strat, naturally). I knew it warn't jus' tweakage! Brilliant. Proves that the guitar, the strings, the 'amp', the speaks, and most of all the PLAYER, all are essential to the equation. I used to play elevens. Played 11-50, I think, for years. After being paralyzed for a time, and laboriously learning to play again, I kept to 11's stubbornly until this year. Too much carpal tunnel etc. So now I'm on the dreaded 10 gauges (10-46 - I should try their Jeff healy's which are 10-56, might be usable). No, they don't sound quite as good, but changing from Boomers to DR strings helped. Life's full of compromises, and a man's gotta know his limits. I'll never play as fast or as strong as I did before my spinal cord injury, but I hope I play with more soul. Keep it up, your playing and tone are great. Will look forward to trying this patch out on my mex strat, and especially on my Danny U1.

Sorry to hear! I feel for you! Its not even close, but I had an experience where I overexerted myself playing one night at a gig and thought I had perm. damaged something in my left hand. Couldn't play bends for almost 3 weeks. I was freaked out. Ever since then, I've done my best to keep it in check.

I would never WANT the Axefx to do it all. The fact that it relies on a good guitar means its even BETTER. Amps are the same way and its just another example of how the axefx acts just like a perfect running tube amp. Its fantastic.

Also, these demos I'm making are simply good examples of how this thing has crossed the border into a territory beyond just a digital rack. The sounds are authentic through and through. this means no matter what guitar your playing, you can come up with your OWN sound.

Back
Top Bottom