Axe-FX II: Voodoo Chile!

Thanks SO much for the E-130!!

Hi Gamedojo

I have been using JBL E-130s almost exclusively since around 1980, I now have 6 and have tried several times to make an IR that distills the great characteristics of the speaker, but so far I've not been happy with the results. Your IR however is excellent!! No nasty peaks- and it displays the neutral-ish but flattering quality that the E-130 brings to everything.... a brilliant all round useful cab.
GREAT Work -Thank You!

Would you mind sharing the details of the power amp and cab (size/open/closed?) and the mic and recording position you used to capture the IR? I would really appreciate it!

Many many thanks

Jezza

Hi Gamedojo

I have been using JBL E-130s almost exclusively since around 1980, I now have 6 and have tried several times to make an IR that distills the great characteristics of the speaker, but so far I've not been happy with the results. Your IR however is excellent!! No nasty peaks- and it displays the neutral-ish but flattering quality that the E-130 brings to everything.... a brilliant all round useful cab.
GREAT Work -Thank You!

Would you mind sharing the details of the power amp and cab (size/open/closed?) and the mic and recording position you used to capture the IR? I would really appreciate it!

Many many thanks

Jezza

Glad it worked out for you! Yeah, that speaker is a key element to stevie's tone. ever since I found a 1981 pic of his vibroverbs from behind showing the E130s It was a game changer. killer speakers.

Power amp is a cheap VLP300 by american audio. Not good for playing live, but a very neutral power amp. I used an SM57 halfway between the cone and the edge pushing against the grill. Cab was simply my vibroverb amp I built. So open back. I made sure to put the cab in the middle of the room to avoid any back reflections (Big tip with these speakers, they have crazy high frequency reflections from behind so amps with them against walls sound harsh.)

I'd venture a guess my mic preamp helped a lot with the end result. I've got a RNP preamp. its only about a $500 mic pre, but its one of those items that have absolute pro insides, but no big features to keep the cost down.

Enjoy the speaker!

Thanks a lot! I got this patch working last night with very little effort. The cool thing about this patch that I couldnt get before is the dynamics when you are playing lead. You can really get that SRV squeal thing going. I tried plugging the tubescreamer into a fenders since I have owned an axe, but couldnt quite get all that dripping complexity when I, for example, do full bends on the G string at the 12th fret. Great work, and thanks for sharing.

wow Gamedojo, that sounds amazing. My dad came in and asked what Stevie recording that was from just a moment ago. Hes asked to hear it 4 times now. That means you NAILED IT!!!

Your Lucky you have your own bedroom, I still sleep in my p's room ( :) just breakin yer b's)

Tyler, I've been using your preset since way back in version 6, it's the closest I've heard to SRV.
Just wondering if you've updated it over the past couple of years now that we're on firmware 15?

ZOMBIE THREAD!

...yes, i've updated it for the most part. Its not all THAT different from the original except for the new JBL ultra res cab I use and that I experiment between the three vibroverb options and super reverb amp.

Tyler, I've been using your preset since way back in version 6, it's the closest I've heard to SRV.
Just wondering if you've updated it over the past couple of years now that we're on firmware 15?

ZOMBIE THREAD!

...yes, i've updated it for the most part. Its not all THAT different from the original except for the new JBL ultra res cab I use and that I experiment between the three vibroverb options and super reverb amp.

LOL I was wondering when I saw that first post "just bought an Axe" HAHAHA I thought, man, that dude has had one forever... nice. Thanks for coming back and updating. It's a great tone.

ZOMBIE THREAD!

Is that the IR used with your Lenny patch for firmware 14? Any chance you'd be kind enough to post your latest version?

Resurrecting the Zombie Thread again. I tried to convert this to an AXE FX III preset but I can't get it to work. Is this preset too old? Anyone else convert, or try to convert, this. Sounds fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom