Axe-FX II V.2 Toadies "Possum Kingdom"

Scott Peterson

Global Moderator
Vendor
Here's a take on the Toadies "Possum Kingdom" done in 3 one take tracks. I did this using the Axe-FX II Firmware 2.0 and my USA Line 6/JTV-59 (bridge pickup, no modeling on the guitars).

I cut this direct with the USB into Reaper. The backing track is from the web.

I used tones I'd use live to do this song, tones I like and actually use on gigs and in recording. This is not an attempt to match the original guitars. This is so you can hear some of what I do with the Axe-FX II.

On the left is a JCM800. On the right is a Friedman HB. The little lead line bits are a Friedman HBE (though I didn't have a trem, my Melancon's trem is blocked... so I faked the part. :D ).

The signal chain is the same in each preset - amp/cab/reverb. That's it.

No mixing, nothing. One takes (huge flubs actually in two places... at least... :noevil but hey, I had 30 minutes before my son had to be picked up at the bus stop after school.

DOWNLOADABLE FLAC FILE: 2011 09 20 Toadies.flac

Here is the guitars ONLY track of the same thing:

DOWNLOADABLE FLAC FILE: 2011 09 20 ToadiesGTRONLY.flac

This is less for trash talking or for 'atta-boy!' fishing than simply shared as a demonstration of some tones I dig and think sound - to my ear - really good.

I am happier with this box at this point than I have been with any other rig I've run. And I've run a lot of rigs. :D

My band is playing that song. This patch will come in handy when I get the enchanted Axe-FX II email from the queen of Fractaland.

Great tone Scott! I love how organic it sounds and cuts well in the mix. Just a suggestion for the little lead lines, throw a big muff sim in front the 800 sim to get that classic sustain forever fuzz! Damn, I'm really jonesin' to get mine hopefully next month.

Great tones and playing Scott. I'd love to see how you are setting up your patches on Axefx II, care to give us some insight? :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Great tones and playing Scott. I'd love to see how you are setting up your patches on Axefx II, care to give us some insight? :)

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the kind words. I will be doing so in the very near future.

Love this song and nice work on the tones! It's quite a bit different than the original track, but sounds great. In a bar, not a single person is going to notice, which is all you can really ask for when playing covers.

Love this song and nice work on the tones! It's quite a bit different than the original track, but sounds great. In a bar, not a single person is going to notice, which is all you can really ask for when playing covers.

I do things - in spirit and philosophy - like Mark Day does. I do my thing the way I like to do it and go with that. I'm not a big 'copy it to the nth degree' guy.

Back
Top Bottom