Axe-Fx II USB audio channel count problem (macOS)

vaultnaemsae

Inspired
Sometimes core audio recognizes the Axe-Fx II as a 3 in/2 out device. Other times it’s recognized as 4 in/2 out. This truly boggles my mind. This seems to be a core audio issue on macOS (10.15) rather than a Fractal thing...I think.

Anybody else experienced this? Any strategy to force 4/2 always?

Screen Shot 2020-09-23 at 23.13.58.png

I'd try deleting that aggregate device. We don't officially support aggregate devices because strange things seem to happen when they are in use.

I’ve personally never gotten an aggregate device to work with any gear, including setups that don’t use Fractal gear at all.

I don't recall ever seeing that. Can you tell which input is missing? Does rebooting it fix it?

P.S. I'm quite certain this has nothing to do with aggregate devices.

I don’t think anyone “officially” supports aggregate devices for obvious reasons. Anyway, The aggregate device isn’t an issue other than that it gets broken when the Axe-Fx loses a channel. Other wise it works perfectly and is integral to my studio setup. It’s presence or absence does not affect the Axe-Fx II’s behaviour.

I mentioned to Matt I think it might be related to a USB iLok I have on the same USB hub the Axe is connected to. Maybe? Or maybe it’s the hub? But, it has occasionally lost the channel even when the Axe is connected directly too the USB/computer.

I’m not sure which channel is disappearing.

Rebooting doesn’t typically help. I rebooted three time last time it happened and it resolved itself on the final try.

I'd try a process of elimination and use the Axe-Fx by itself for a few days. Take out the hub and other devices. You should create a clean "config" under Audio MIDI Setup too.

I'd try a process of elimination and use the Axe-Fx by itself for a few days. Take out the hub and other devices. You should create a clean "config" under Audio MIDI Setup too.

Been watching and waiting. I'm thinking it might be a faulty right-angle USB adapter that's the culprit.

Back
Top Bottom