Axe-fx II USB and '3rd party audio interface for monitoring and playback'.

mortega76

Fractal Fanatic
First i have to say, I love my Axe-fx II and have been a long time user...

I've been using ASIO4ALL with some success, but every time I start my DAW I have to set the preferences because neither the Axe-fx or my audio interface Creative 0404 gives any audio until I reset the preferences. I recently purchased a Scarlett 2i4 and have yet to plug it in... hopefully it was just the Creative 0404.

My question is in regards to page 26 of the Axe-fx II manual: 3.4.11 Axe-Fx II: One Possible "Big Rig".

It shows the Axe-fx II connected via USB into a computer and an Audio Interface is also connected. It states the following:

Meanwhile, USB provides all of the usual computer audio and MIDI integration features, with full-range studio monitors connected to a 3rd-party audio interface for monitoring an playback.

What '3rd party audio interface' will allow you to run alongside the Axe-fx II's ASIO only drivers 'natively' without having to finagle the use of a hack like ASIO4ALL to be able to use both the Axe-fx II via USB and the Audio Interface into a DAW?

Thank you in advance!

It is probably referring to using a Mac and the use of aggregate devices.

You just can't do that using ASIO without something like ASIO4ALL.

Thanks for chiming in Sean... so I have to have a Mac in order to use my Axe-fx II in the 'Big Rig' scenario?

You'll probably have an easier time by just hooking up your Axe-Fx into your audio interface via SPDIF. Pristine quality of digital without having to deal with ASIO4ALL.

I have tried to connect via S/PDIF in the past but never got any audio... i just did some research and the stated suggestion was to not use the L/R audio... but to use the Video RCA cable since the ohms needed for typical coaxial S/PDIF is rated at 75-ohm. From what I read a 75-ohm cable reduces the risk of jitter problems. I'm gonna give this a try when I get home today.

I've said this before... as much as I love my Axe-fx II, the USB rabbit hole has had me chasing this 'rabbit' for the last couple of years. I used to just tracks songs like crazy every couple of days not caring whether or not I could re-amp my tracks at a later time with my old Ultra. Of course the Axe-fx II sounds miles better so I'd never go back. The root of the problem is the OCD in me is keeping me captive!

Back
Top Bottom