AXE FX II - Tuner Offsets

EvenKnudsen

I need to program offset settings into my Axe FX II in order to intonate my guitar that is equipped with the Buzz Feiten Tuning System (BFTS). For this purpose I need to be able to program two separate offset presets, one for open strings and another one with different offsets for the octave. What I've found out is that is easy enough to program one set of offsets, but is there a way to program two separate offsets into the Axe tuner and if so will the Axe tuner then be able to identify the different octaves on the same string and change offset accordingly? (Some tuners with the BFTS built in works like this). Anyone out ther with some experinence on this?

Not 100% sure of this - but arnt the offsets at the octave the same as no offsets at all? AFAIK the Buzz Feinten is done with alterations to the nut, rather than the frets themselves? If I m wropng fine - as I say this is from something in the back of my mind from years ago.

If thats the case, just program you offsets for open tuning. In the AFX you can choose whether to use the user offsets or not - so use them for open and dont for the octave.

If its not the case, and you need proper user offsets for both, I dont know. It wasnt possible a while back - but with FW changes it might be possible to have more than one set now - I dont need more so I couldnt tell you. However, I doubt it will auto sense - youd have to change manually in any case.

No, the octave offsets is not the same as no offsets. The Buzz Feiten offsets looks like this:

Open (Low) E = 0
Open B = +1
Open G = -2
Open D = -2
Open A = -2
Open (High) E = -2

12th (High) E = 0
12th B = 0
12th G = +1
12th D = +1
12th A = 0
12th (High) E = 0

Forgive my ignorance, but isn't the Buzz Feiten (and similar) system(s) supposed to correct anomalies so that you don't need to deal with offsets? At least, for practical purposes? If not, isn't there a point of diminishing returns? I have a pretty big collection of guitars, some of them with corrected nuts, and I hear/understand the difference. But, that doesn't render the uncompensated instruments useless. The compensation only works in certain situations, anyway. If I had to tune them any closer than they are, I'd learn to hate them. Sometimes, a little tolerance is a Good Thing. Listening to many of the iconic players, you'd wonder if tuning is ever an issue.

my recently acquired washburn n24 came with the bfts.
what i did was to set the intonation using EvenKnudsen's second set of offset.
this need to be done only once.
after that i set my axe fx 2's tuner offset to EvenKnudsen's first set of offset.
whenever i need to tune my n24, i will turn on the offset.
my only problem is i sometimes forget to turn it on for the n24 and sometimes forget to turn it off for other guitars...

you can not program two set's of off sets. you just have to sit in front of your axe and manually change them back and forth. It is annoying but only someone that has to be done only during intonation. Since I play often unplugged around the house I bought a peterson strobo clip (it has a BF tunning option). Now when I do intonation I use the clip tuner and program the axe for intonation off sets

Back
Top Bottom