Axe-Fx II too expensive? I don't thinkso

voes

Fractal Fanatic
Vendor
I just had too much time this sunday afternoon, so I compared my virtual board with a real one

this is my virtual board:
axe-fx II layout.jpg

this is an equivalent of the real one
virtual pedalboard setup 800x408.jpg

guess what. above (axe-fx II + MFC101) is $2950. I admit a lot of money.

but the real one costs $3780, go figure!

and that's without the AMP & CAB, only the FX.

And it's important to mention that all firmware upgrade are FREE!!! The Axe fx 2 came out about 15 mouths ago. Since then, a lot of new amps, pedals, effects and improvements have been add. And I'm sure about al of A2 users outhere, including me would pay for each and every firmware upgrade. Cliff could make a lot of benefits from charging us for those, but he don't, and probably won't neither in the future. This philosophy is far from big companies like Line6 who charges 50$ for their metal pack etc. No, the Axe fx 2 is really not expensive considering al of this, and all the power left for more surprises in upcomming firmware....

I took a similar approach but added in the floorspace for storing amps, floor pedals, and racks. Not to mention the cost in effort in hauling out the Plexi stack to run parallel with a Super'Verb and then putting them away. My "studio" has never seen as much open floor and walls as I have using the Axe-Fx II!!

And don't forget the massive time saving factor. Few cables that can break, no dealing with ground issues or weird noises, fx loops, broken pedals or amps, no tubes that need a fix. No excessive ebay attendences trying to find the perfect amp/pedal, buying, reselling. Building complex fx setups is so easy and can be rebuild in a heartbeat. I could go on for hours on the ease of use factor.

But the biggest advantage the AxeFX brings to me is:

Extended playing time in the night which neighbours won't allow with tube amps. Somehow I only get creative when the sun is down. Plus my ears don't harm anymore, because I don't have to crank a tube amp to get a cranked tube amp sound.

Well, I have a $2400 Mesa Mark V and with Firmware 8.0 I have perfectly tone matched it (to my ears) and will/would the Axe over the amp any day of the week...And then there are 98 other amazing amps in the Axe, let alone all the effects. Yea the Axe FX is actually pretty cheap in comparison to what you get, but obviously $2200 is a fair sum of money. Is it expensive? Yea, is it worth it? 300% yes!!!

I have a lot of volume constraints around the house. The value of a rig you can't really use isn't very great. For me, the value of my AxeFx-based rig that lets me do my thing at any volume (from zero dB with headphones to ear-damaging) is greater than the tube-based rig it replaced. That analog rig wasn't really any less costly than what I play through now.

NO MATTER THE COST, we now have something that sounds great through headphones! A bargain at any cost.

Decide what you're going to buy, an eargasm sound or tonegasm, if you can go through those levels, then Fractal would be your best deal answer

Decide what you're going to buy, an eargasm sound or tonegasm, if you can go through those levels, then Fractal would be your best deal answer

I have always thought the AxeFx is underpriced by at least 50%, maybe more. Best piece of guitar equipment I have ever purchased.

I agree with the above comments. I had a great tube amp ( Fender Deluxe) that I could never use at home, just way too loud.
So I bought myself a small 5amp Bugera which is the only real amp that ever got turned on in my house.
Plus , I have to add , you don't get a hernia lugging the Axe Fx around, unlike all the other heavy amps and cabs it replaces.
Digital is here to stay, and I am happy to be part the happy Fractal family.

Even just comparing apples and apples, compare it to any effects unit that says Eventide. You easily have to spend $5900 for a H8000 unit. The Axe-FX 2 has way more power and usability. Don't get me wrong, Eventide is one hell of a company - great sound and terrific consumer relations. But as far as the Fractal offering value, service and tone - there is no substitute!!!

here's my theories of the axe price

1- Look at a Soldano SLO100 and a Diezel VH4. $3000 and $4000. On just those to amps alone the axe fx sounds as good as the real thing... and it does everything else for free. (not to mention the 5150 III sounds identical probably the most authentic sounding amp in the axefx compared to the real thing- no difference at all)

2- I use real marshalls for marshall stuff... real mesas for mesa stuff... a real JC120 for cleans...and the Axe for EVERYTHING ELSE... no need for a fender/vox/everything else amp with the Axe. (even though i say 'real mesa/marshall' in the last year+ i've used the II or ultra on EVERY recording I've done... haven't mic'd an amp since ultra.

3- The TC Electronic G-System (although great for effects, no preamp/drives at all) is a great unit. Its $1500 and 100% made in CHINA. Axe= all USA.

4- Upgrades are awesome- Digidesign 11r= 'oh you want more? give me $100 if you want the thing to sound good'

5- It's also a GREAT INVESTMENT...
I've seen a like new $2800 Marshall JVM head sell for $900.
I've seen a $2200 axe fx II sell for $3000.
If I sold mine today I'd get close to what I paid for it... I've passed up offers for MORE THAN WHAT I PAID

I've sold the Ultra I had and standard I had (both bought used) for more than what the units were NEW direct from Fractal.... can't complain (and i sold the standard 2 hours after i bought it for $700 more)

Selling the Ultra and Standard paid for my II.

And it's important to mention that all firmware upgrade are FREE!!! The Axe fx 2 came out about 15 mouths ago. Since then, a lot of new amps, pedals, effects and improvements have been add. And I'm sure about al of A2 users outhere, including me would pay for each and every firmware upgrade.

Shhhhhhh?!?!!?! I cringe every time I read comments like that. Just be quiet. Maybe he'll just keep working! :)

It's too cheap IMO.

We use to pay more for a PCM 90 or Eventide H3000S, and since those came to market, inflation has eroded 25% of the purchasing power used to make those buys.

While technology always gets cheaper, cutting edge technology usually enjoys a period of elitist pricing which Fractal has never engaged in.

The Axe II is the game changer we've been hearing about since the first modelers of the 1980s, soon modeling will be accepted and used in studios all over the world. The debate of modelling usefulness will subside, the argument will simply shift to who's modeler sounds better.

Could not agree more with all posts above. A year or so before I purchased the Ultra I was using a rig that cost close to $7,500 (Hand-tuned Fuchs ODS50, 1980's 200w EVM-12L's, Roland VF-1 processor for time-based effects in the loop, a PedalTrain board loaded with boutique pedals for comp, drive, phase, wah, fuzz, trem, etc.). With the $1,800 Ultra I was able to get very close to the tone, response, and gain characteristics of the Fuchs (close enough for me) and the Ultra's effects were a significant upgrade The $2,400 AxeFX II far outperforms my old Fuchs rig in every way. The II represents a $5,000+ savings over the Fuchs rig AND provides instant access to more than $150,000 (far more I suspect) in amps, cabs, & effects - with more being added monthly now it seems at no additional cost to AxeFX II owners. $2,400 is a steal!

Back
Top Bottom