Axe-Fx II to Midi In of the GR55?

treewiz

Inspired
I can get the GR55 to talk to the Axe-Fx II, just by connecting a midi cable from midi in Axe-Fx to Gr55 out midi,but not Midi out Axe-Fx to midi in GR55 I cannot figure out how to talk and change patches on the GR55 via midi. I have all the settings set on both I believe, any suggestions?

You need a midi controller, like one of the Liquid Foot products, to change patches on the GR55. The AxeFX is not built to do that.

Terry.

Well that's too bad I was hoping with my MFC101 and Axe-Fx II I could, "SHUCKS"

Maybe i'm missing something here, but your MFC should be able to switch patches in both AXE 2 and Roland at same time..you of course won't be able to play any of the GR 55 sounds,(i'm sure you know that, only with the 13 pin out of your guitar for that) but switching patches should work fine.

Yes I'm aware of the 13 pin access only but as I have found out the Axe-Fx II doesn't have the ability to control outboard gear via midi according to the manual, however the MFC101 might, with the Axe-fx, connect it with a midi cable and use the adapter and plug midi out of the MFC101 into a midi solutions box and run seperate midi cables to the Axe-Fx II and the GR 55. I have a midi solutions box and I'm going to try that trick tonight. The Axe-Fx II will not operate the ethernet cable with a midi cable at the same time, one or the other. I hope this works.

Yes I'm aware of the 13 pin access only but as I have found out the Axe-Fx II doesn't have the ability to control outboard gear via midi according to the manual, however the MFC101 might, with the Axe-fx, connect it with a midi cable and use the adapter and plug midi out of the MFC101 into a midi solutions box and run seperate midi cables to the Axe-Fx II and the GR 55. I have a midi solutions box and I'm going to try that trick tonight. The Axe-Fx II will not operate the ethernet cable with a midi cable at the same time, one or the other. I hope this works.

http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/axe-fx-2/Axe-Fx-II-Owners-Manual.pdf

Page 136 of the manual. You have to turn the MIDI thru "ON". Connect your MFC to the Axe FX. Connect a short midi cable from the Axe OUT/THRU midi port to the midi in port on your Roland unit.

You will have to move presets around in the Roland, so that the correct one always correlates to the program change you need, paired with the Axe FX preset you want.

Make sure the Axe FX and the Roland are set to the same midi channel. Usually the default Axe midi channel is channel 1, but verify that in the menu. Make sure the Roland is set to OMNI or channel 1 also.

If you want more advanced instant access, or the ability to independently program change your devices separately, you'll need a different MIDI controller, like a Liquid Foot, for instance.

You will have to move presets around in the Roland, so that the correct one always correlates to the program change you need, paired with the Axe FX preset you want.

The MFC is more capable than that. Each preset can send any PC for each of the other 15 channels, so you don't have to put all devices on one channel. For independent preset control there are options like disabling any channel's PC for a preset, and configuring IAs to send PCs.

That is good to know. So, to the OP - you can and should put the Roland on a DIFFERENT midi channel than the Axe FX, and then program the MFC to send the correct program change number to each device so they are working to give you the overall sound you need for a performance.

The midi connection is still MFC to Axe in, and Axe THRU/OUT to Roland Midi IN.

Thanks everyone for the advise and help, I am pretty busy for a couple of days then I'm going to attempt your solutions. I'll keep you all informed on my progress.

Well I had a little time last night to connect the MFC101 to the Axe-FxII via midi out, MFC(ethernet cable disconnected and adapter used) to AXe Fxe II midi out to the Roland Gr55, all switches on, channel 1 both units and still no comunication in that direction. Like I stated before, they comunicate the other way around with the roland talking to the Axe Fx II, but not Axe fx II to Roland. I don't know whats up?

bump, anyone?

I'm pretty sure this can be done. And not to hijack the thread but I'd highly recommend set list maker for the iPad. I use to to change patches for the entire band which includes the axe, 2 GR55s, a Voice Live Rack, and the Drum samplers. It's a superb program and today I have the midi thru of the axe going to the voice live (which is on a separate midi channel) so I know it can transmit the program change commands

MM

I'm pretty sure this can be done. And not to hijack the thread but I'd highly recommend set list maker for the iPad. I use to to change patches for the entire band which includes the axe, 2 GR55s, a Voice Live Rack, and the Drum samplers. It's a superb program and today I have the midi thru of the axe going to the voice live (which is on a separate midi channel) so I know it can transmit the program change commands

MM

Sorry to continue the hijack, but can you please be specific about which Set List Maker you have found success with? I've tried a couple of them and both were failures.

I don't know why you want both the AXE and GR on the same midi channel. I don't have a MFC but on my midi controller you can set up several midi divices each on their own midi channel. As said earlier make sure you have the AXE I/O midi set to on. In the MFC set up the GR on another midi channel (than the AXE) and make sure the GR is set to the same channel or omni if available. I have a GR33 and for some reason I couldn't communicate with it via midi until I put it on Midi channel 11. Just to be clear I'm going midi out of foot controller to Midi in of AXE then midi out of AXE to midi in of the GR. I've had it set up this way for years before I got the AXE. I no longer remember but perhaps there is an option in the GR to send or receive but I'm sure it's both. I don't use an ethernet cable. I don't know what else to suggest. Wish you luck.

Well Hello everyone again, I have finally gotten the Axe-Fxe II to talk to my Gr 55 by changing the MFC101 from Song set up to Presets set up. I don't know why yet but I'll have to play with it. It even communicates with the Ethernet cable connected to the MFC101 and a midi cable from midi out/thru Axe-FxII to the GR55. Here we go with a lot of setting up to be Gig worthy! Thanks everyone with your input.

Back
Top Bottom