Axe-Fx II Technical Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to bump my question...

Hi Cliff. I read some pages ago that you have changed how the usb will show up in the Daw. It seems to be now 4 in 2 out.
Is it possible at this point to reamp 2 different parts or guitars in the Daw? I mean, since it is possible to have 2 amps at once, it is possible to have one that goes, let's say, input 1 and the other to input 2?
Thanks

Hmm...I wasn't complaining really, I'm very pleased with the Standard I've had for years, and have already paid for the II (TM list). IMO, most guitarists would know more about the effect on tone between a 6L6 and an EL34 than the B+ time constant or transformer drive. I'm sure a lot of folks would want to bother with that sort of thing.

In discussing this in years past, Cliff always said the differences in tube types were gain and EQ, which can be easily accounted for with the other controls in the AMP block.

That said, I'm still hoping for the far more powerful PREAMP TYPE to go along with TONESTACK TYPE. ;)

Hows the durability of the Axe II? I read somewhere a few years ago that Cliff had used the beta version of his Axe FX and left it in the car in the sun, in super cold, some other ridiculously reckless things we would never do to it; anyway it always ended up fine.
The Axe II's operating and storage temperature ranges are identical to those of the Standard and Ultra.

Hi all. It's been a while since I posted on this forum, but I've been reading and learning all along thanks to everyone here. I'd just like to comment on the point of the 8 band EQ in the new amp block being after the power amp.

I too, like bigness, was under the impression that the EQ in the new unit would be between the preamp and the power section, like in the Mesa Boogie Mark series. I think I had this impression because of a comment made one of the beta testers in a thread weeks ago(can't find it now, sorry), and I seem to recall they confirmed the position of the EQ being between the pre/power when they answered someone questioning this very point.

Whether it's my mistaken memory, or a mistaken comment, it's clear now that it's an EQ added after the power section, which is something we've been able to do all along by simply adding an EQ block.

It's kind of dissapointing to hear that because this was a big selling point for me. To not only be able to have that option for mesa models, but also for amps that didn't even have that exrta EQ in the real world would have been really interesting.

I'll still get the new unit for all the other awesome features, and I don't want to complain about it. It is what it is. I'm just curious as to why the EQ was added into the block at the end, replicating what we can already do, instead of placing it inbetween the pre and the power, especially when people have stated in the past that they wished for this option. Is there something inherently difficult about placing graphic EQ in that position, or maybe Cliff feels it's redundant when there are so many other parameters in place to switch tonestacks/placement of tonestacks, etc.?

Just a little bummed, but the unit still sounds awesome! I'm just honestly curious as to what the new advantage of this configuration would be, outside of obviously saving on CPU usage. Thanks.

In discussing this in years past, Cliff always said the differences in tube types were gain and EQ, which can be easily accounted for with the other controls in the AMP block.

I don't remember this at all, when ( or where ) did he say that ? Some of us were asking for that ability with the CAE Preamps ( EL-34's vrs 6L6's ) .... And I don't remember any response like that at all ?

Hmm...I wasn't complaining really, I'm very pleased with the Standard I've had for years, and have already paid for the II (TM list). IMO, most guitarists would know more about the effect on tone between a 6L6 and an EL34 than the B+ time constant or transformer drive. I'm sure a lot of folks would want to bother with that sort of thing.

I'd love to know specifically what EQ to apply to make that happen ? And while we're at it, how about 6V6's and/or 6CA7's too ?

Last edited:
I don't remember this at all, when ( or where ) did he say that ? Some of us were asking for that ability with the CAE Preamps ( EL-34's vrs 6L6's ) .... And I don't remember any response like that at all ?

FractalAudio said:
Despite what the tube and tube-amp manufacturers want you to believe, the only real difference between tubes is subtle frequency response differences. They all operate under the same principles and therefore follow the same physical laws. Differences in construction affect the various parameters but at the end of the day all this does is change the frequency response VERY slightly.

You can replicate this by adjusting your tone controls or using the EQ blocks. When someone says, "these 14th generation Malaysian ribbed-wing 12ax7's sound more open and dynamic", they're just hearing changes in frequency response, if they're really hearing anything at all (as it's usually psychological).

It actually pisses me off a bit because the manufacturers prey on this crap. But at the end of the day they use whatever tube is the cheapest. Heck, there's only a couple tube plants left in the world, how many options are there?

The most powerful way to shape your tone is through the use of EQ. Pre-EQ to adjust the feel of the compression, post-EQ to get the desired tone.

CC
from Axe-FX :: View topic - Wish list?

Of note, it was this thread four years ago where I originally asked to cross pre/power amps, and Cliff said, "I've thought about this. Still debating it." Of course, he said the bit reducer "sounded stupid" then too, and we've seen how that turned out. :D

from Axe-FX :: View topic - Wish list?

Of note, it was this thread four years ago where I originally asked to cross pre/power amps, and Cliff said, "I've thought about this. Still debating it." Of course, he said the bit reducer "sounded stupid" then too, and we've seen how that turned out. :D

Thanks for posting that, I don't remember it at all .... Still, I don't think he's addressing the differences between say EL-34's and 6L6's .... The example he's using might be intrepreted to mean the differences between different company's tubes ( ie; 12AX7's for example ) ....

Still I'd love him to comment further !

THANKS AGAIN !

I've read that processor one now only does the amp models, does this processor (1) also handle the cab sims or are the cabs handled by cpu two??

May have already been answered in the 150 pages, but can you assign modifiers to the impedance? I imagine you could have fun with some cool effects, adjusting the impedance level according to pitch or such..

Sorry if this was asked.. couldn't find it in the II FAQ.. but then it's partly an MFC question.

Do we still need a midi interface to update firmware on the MFC-101? Or can this be done via your USB-attached Axe-Fx II, which in turn connects to the MFC with MIDI or the RJ45 port?

This is suddenly important to me, because 1). I sold my midisport along with my Ultra, and 2). MFC needs new firmware to use with Axe II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom